Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

It's time to stop pulling.

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
For the last 10 years, I've enjoyed pulling out my eyelashes (and eyebrows, although I don't get the same effect from it, so do it less). Anyway, a couple of years ago I managed to decrease the frequency I was pulling at them - before I did it every night, but I managed to start doing it a little less frequently. Fast forward a few years and I'm still doing it, albeitly less frequently at the start, but it's still causing damage none the less. I try to limit myself to only 5 lashes each eye each time... but it just feels so good. I enjoy the sensation, I really do. But the thing is, I know that each time I do this, I (probably) permanently reduce the numer of possble eyelashes that will grow back - I used to have lovely, long thick lashes, but they're now a bit weedy and shorter. And I know if I continue, I will have no lashes. I know I need to stop but I don't know how. I don't have the motivation because I enjoy the feeling; when I put mascara on it feels even better - it generally hurts more to pull the lash out and it feels thicker and altogether better; when I put something like vaseline on to try and make them too slippy it makes my eyes water. I don't know how to stop, because I enjoy it. I honestly don't believe anything could be better... but at the same time I know deep down I need to stop. I've been bullied for it before, and it can be noticeable through my glasses if I have very few lashes. I really don't know what to do :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi there plugitin

sounds like a very ingrained habit to try and stop, although you feel guilty about it and part of you really wants to, which can take time so try to be kind to yourself for every little improvement and not beat yourself up over setbacks.

it can be helpful to work out what you get from pulling out your lashes... apart from the immediate sensations...do you have any ideas? anything you avoid/dislike that pulling your lashes distracts you from? unhappy about anything?

you may not identify what you do as self harm but then again you might find some of the info on the site SH pages helpful in understanding why you pull out your lovely lashes. if it doesn't feel like this fits please feel free to disregard this suggestion

do keep posting to let us know how you get on :wave:
  • Options
    What you do has a name, trichotillamania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania), and many of the triggers are the same as for forms of SH. If you want to stop but find that you can't, there's no shame at all in seeking more help from your GP or similar. What you do is not that uncommon and is not "just a habit".
  • Options
    I sometimes pull my hair and noticed i do it when im bored or anxious. I think the first step is finding out what causes you to do it. Another idea is when you feel the urge do something with yourself. Go for a walk, a bath, a shower or just have something to play with to occupy your hands
  • Options
    I've taken on board those thoughts and spent the day dwelling on them and trying to work some things out.

I have several reasons I worked out:
    1) if I have an itch around my eye, I normally take my glasses off and have a pull... I know my dad does this sometimes, but the main difference is that he still has all of his lashes!
    2) when I'm bored at work I have my computer mouse in my right hand and my left hand has nothing to do, so I start picking at my eyebrows
    3) lying in bed when I haven't got my glasses on. This is something I've always done, right from the start. Before bed, or nowadays in the morning in between the eye rubs and trying to wake up...

I'm not sure I get anything from it after the act, because I always feel guilty once I'm done with the whole process. I know I used to have a lot more problems with my body image, but this has always been there, like before and after. I really can't join anything up though, aside from that. I know it takes effort because I mainly have to remove my glasses etc, so from that point of view it's a thought I have to process before I do it. But aside from that I'm stuck :confused:
  • Options
    I've not been pulling as much recently, but I don't know whether that's because it's the inbetween stage where lashes are growing and are too short to pull or not.

I was finding, however, that because I was trying to stop pulling it was permanently on my mind, so slightly counter productive because it made me want to do it more. But upside is: I've been pulling less. Now to keep it up...
  • Options
    i used to pull my hair out compulsively. I wish i could give advice how to stop, but i cant remember anything specific i did, just that i managed to stop over time. Its an anxiety OCD thing, and i know it feels so satisfying