Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help cooking baked fish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to try cooking fish for the first time.

I want to do something easy, I'd like to try the baking in foil method.

I'm not in to really strong fishy fish.

Can anyone reccomend a type of fish to use and also what sort of seasoning I should put on top. I have a small spice / herb collection but am willing to buy a couple more if needed

I will probably want to eat it with maybe crushed new potatos and spring veggies or salad. or maybe noodles or rice depending on the seasoning

Comments

• Options
    Salmon?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Salmon?
    oh yeh i forgot to add. I dont think I like salmon! I definately dont like the raw kinda smoked salmon.
  • Options
    What fish do you like? Sea bass is nice grilled, as is monkfish.
  • Options
    Cod and Alaskan Pollock aren't very fishy fish

Here's a piss easy one to get you going

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bakedcodwithaherbycr_7813
  • Options
    thank you for all ideas. I went with some pre-marinated fish from the tesco fish counter in the end, because i wanted it to be easy for my first time

Tonight i cooked mackerel marinated in lime, chilli & ginger, i served it with crushed baby new potatos and vegetables.

It was ok...nothing special.

I also bought some herby salmon as the person on the fish counter said it wont taste the same as the slimy smoked variety. Going to try that tomorrow
  • Options
    Fresh salmon doesn't taste the same as smoked salmon; the smoking process gives the strong flavour.

Put the salmon in the foil, chuck in salt, pepper, garlic, a bit of lemon and just leave it to bake for 30 minutes or so. A doddle. I highly recommend the Lazy Garlic you can buy.
  • Options
    I highly recommend the Lazy Garlic you can buy.

I rate that stuff too:yes:

The salmon i bought already has herbs and stuff on it but im going to add some lemon juice to prevent it drying out like the mackerel somehow did
  • Options
    I wouldn't have recommended mackerel as that's quite a strong flavour. Bass is really nice but can be pricey. Tuna steaks are lovely and meaty, but again a bit costly. Trout is cheap and delicious. Something like skate wing is dead easy, not strongly flavoured and can be reasonably priced. If you've got a fish mongers near you stuff like gurnard is cheap and delicious.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    i served it with crushed baby, new potatos and vegetables.

Man, I'd love to have crushed baby with my fish, my local supermarket seems to never have them in stock tho.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Man, I'd love to have crushed baby with my fish, my local supermarket seems to never have them in stock tho.

When I read back what i'd put i actually LOL'd! Haha.

(crushed baby new potatos, NOT crushed baby :D)
  • Options
    I wouldn't have recommended mackerel as that's quite a strong flavour. Bass is really nice but can be pricey. Tuna steaks are lovely and meaty, but again a bit costly. Trout is cheap and delicious. Something like skate wing is dead easy, not strongly flavoured and can be reasonably priced. If you've got a fish mongers near you stuff like gurnard is cheap and delicious.

I did see rainbow trout and was tempted but scared to try it in case it was fishy

I did salmon last night, it was AMAZING. I'm now a firm salmon fan.
  • Options
    I really like cooking fish. I mostly stick to tilapia because it is cheap and versitile. I'll substitute most fish recipes with tilapia. It really has very little taste so it takes on the taste of what you cook with very easily. I also broil them 99% of the time. A few I like are... (I have no idea how to convert us to uk recipe stuff, but for most of this you can wing it anyways)

pecan crusted
    1 plate mix finely chopped pecans, a bit of cornmeal and some onion powder

1 plate mix flour, salt, pepper and cayanne

1 plate eggs and a dash of water

coat both sides of fish in flour mixture, then egg, then pecan mixture

bake at 220C for about 20 min

basil marinated:
    basil vinegar
    a dash of olive oil
    basil, thyme, oregano, parsley
    garlic cloves
    lemon peel
    salt and pepper

Marinate the fish in that for half an hour then broil 7-10 minutes or until flakey.

Parmesan:
    mix parmesan, a couple spoonfuls of mayo, lime juice, garlic, pepper, basil, onion powder

broil for about 5 minuts, spread mixture on top and broil for another couple minutes

maple salmon:
    a 1:1 ratio of maple syrup (or maple flavored syrup) and oj, a few tablespoons of bourbon (or more oj)

cook that on meadium heat on the stove while preparing the salmon

salt and pepper both sides of skinless salmon, broil for about 5 minutes
    take out and brush a little glaze over salmon on both sides and broil for another 5 minutes on opposite side as before

add some coarsely chopped nuts (I like pecans) to the glaze and heat on high until it reaches a syrupy consistency

Serve salmon topped with this

caramelized salmon:
    A similar preperation to the one above but the glaze is
    carmel flavor ice cream topping, soy sauce, dijon mustard, lime juice. Mix that all together and spread over salmon about halfway thru broiling and a little more at the very end.

One that isn't broiled... takes a bit longer, about an hour to cook.
    spanish moroccan fish (tilapia or another mild flavor one)
    in large pan on stove sautee 1 medium chopped onion and garlic until slightly tender. Add 1 slized bell pepper, 1 large carron sliced, 1 tomato chopped, chopped olives and a can of garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed). Cook until peppers are slightly tender

sprinkle parsley, paprika, cumin (about 1 tablespoon of each) and some cayanne over vegies. stir. place fish on top of vegies and add just enough water to cover the vegies. cover and cook on low for about 40 min. Serve over couscous
  • Options
    cod seasoned and baked with a little olive oil and lemon and served with beurre blanc :heart: (and this is coming from a fish hater!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-UmMgtS65E - video recipe for beurre blanc
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    I did see rainbow trout and was tempted but scared to try it in case it was fishy

Rainbow Trout is lovely. Not too fishy at all :)
  • Options
    Rainbow Trout is lovely. Not too fishy at all :)

oo defo buying some trout next time then!