Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hugging

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've put this in 'Relationships' because I think it's relevant to that section.

The topic in question is hugging, and it was the 'hugs' thread that got me thinking. I have an issue with hugging in that I only like hugs from people that I'm physically attracted to. I'm uncomfortable with any and all other hugs. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same? If yes, share. If not then can you offer me some thoughts as to why I might be like this?

Hugs from family, in particular, REALLY make me uncomfortable. I don't have to be actively interested in someone to enjoy a hug from them but I have to at least be able to find them attractive or the hug just creeps me out. It makes me feel unnatural, uncomfortable, on edge, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Are you embaraased with hugs?
  • Options
    Are you embaraased with hugs?

Not embarrassed as such, they just make me feel uncomfortable. I guess there might be an element of self consciousness in there, yes, but mostly it's just that the hug makes my skin crawl and I don't know why.
  • Options
    Nah, not with hugs, not at all. But it is custom over here to kiss your relatives (aunts, cousins, grand ma) on the cheek and even tho I do this with my friends I really do not like it with my relatives.
  • Options
    Personal space issue?
  • Options
    I don't like hugs from people most of the time. Doesn't matter who they are, friends or family. The only time I have really ever enjoyed them was when it was a bf or one time when I was so upset and someone just hugged me and told me it'd be fine. That's the only time I have been comfortable with it. I think it's a personal space/self image issue for me. Could it be the same for you?
    It's annoying though at times, because more often that not now I just want a proper hug!
  • Options
    People who are in my 'circle' can hug me, no one else can. For me it is definitely a personal space issue, and why I'm thankful to have been born british- we shake hands not lean in for a kiss or other intrusive practice.
  • Options
    Its not that wierd - I don't mind hugs but it does depend who its from etc

I once went to a meeting in Latin America where we all had to do a group hug at the end and i found i really odd and couldn't get into it at all and pretty much tried to avoid hugging anyone - which was noticed so i kind of said i was english and it wasn't really something i felt comfortable with, however my line manager did bring up that I wasn't getting into the spirit of things enough and that i should have more actively joined in the hugging.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    People who are in my 'circle' can hug me, no one else can. For me it is definitely a personal space issue, and why I'm thankful to have been born british- we shake hands not lean in for a kiss or other intrusive practice.

I'm British and have friends from different countries. I've noticed that Brits seem to shake hands (although, some will hug and /or kiss me - but we've known each other for several years) and I've noticed that some of the foreign people tend to hug or kiss. Which, after meeting someone once, I find somewhat odd.
  • Options
    It's a notable cultural difference.
  • Options
    I'll hug (and be hugged by) just about anyone.
  • Options
    Maybe I was just forced to hug too many people as a child, lol. I do remember always feeling self conscious about hugging and/or kissing (on the cheek) people when I was little. I still feel that same feeling, it's just awkward. However, when it comes to family it verges on repulsive.

I guess everyone is wired up differently.

As a quick aside, it was interesting to see a little debate about handshakes on BBC Breakfast this morning. Of course I have no issue with handshakes as a formal greeting. I just hate ones that are too firm or too limp :S The hand crusher handshake is too testosterone fuelled for my liking. The limp squid handshake just feels plain weird o___O
  • Options

Yeah, but you're a tart.

I like hugs, but on my own terms. If I'm not feeling up for a Super Long Hug, and someone tries to give me one, I get really uncomfortable, but sometimes that's just what I need.
  • Options
    One of the funny quirks from having lived abroad is that I still think a hug and kiss both cheeks is a perfectly reasonable greeting. As such, have no problem hugging anyone really.

Some people are uncomfortable being close to others, which is fine, as long as you're reasonable about it.
  • Options

I do too. Apart from the time a friend was minging of sweat from jumping about. (we'd been at a gig) :yuck:
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I do too. Apart from the time a friend was minging of sweat from jumping about. (we'd been at a gig) :yuck:

I actually really like hugging excessively sweaty people :o
  • Options
    I actually really like hugging excessively sweaty people :o

Ewww :s
  • Options
    stu147 wrote: »
    Ewww :s

:blush: