Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) and work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was unsure whether to put this in the work section or here but I really need some advice.

It has come to my attention that I may be diagnosed with ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder). Now while I know I am not as other people are, I am able to function (for the most part) as a person albeit with diminished social skills.

My question is this:

I already have many labels which I must inform Employers about such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, and a history of depression/mental health problems. DO I really want to go adding to the list?

Obviously I am aware of the disability discrimination act (or similarly named act that stops employers discriminating) but I still have to declare it I believe.

I need more advice on whether having an official diagnoses would be a help or a hinderance to me, as I have the potential to lead a relatively normal work life.

I have tried looking at the NAS (www.autism.org.uk) website and other sites but have failed to find anything of use.

Comments

• Options
    How have your employers handled the conditions that they know about?
  • Options
    While I do currently work I am also a student and will be starting to apply for jobs very soon (I should really be doing applying for jobs now)

My current employer knows nothing of my current situation as I started 5 years ago which was before any formal diagnosis had been made about my mental health and I never found it necessary to tell them.
  • Options
    You don't need to declare your conditions if you don't want to. However, if you don't declare them, you can't moan if they don't make any reasonable adjustments.
    I need more advice on whether having an official diagnoses would be a help or a hinderance to me, as I have the potential to lead a relatively normal work life.

I am wondering the same thing with myself. It won't change who I am; but it would explain some things. I've noticed recently that I really can't tolerate certain things (such as hand cream) on my hands, nor can I tolerate the dog's bark. (it does make me jump)

I don't know anyone who has ever said that the diagnosis was a hindrance to them - my mum struggled for years to get a diagnosis for my brother and was told it's her fault he's the way he is. Finally, someone took my parents concerns seriously.
  • Options
    If it doesn't affect your work, I don't think you need to tell them.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    You don't need to declare your conditions if you don't want to. However, if you don't declare them, you can't moan if they don't make any reasonable adjustments.

:yes: The only reason to declare is if you think it will cause specific difficulties. I would probably advise declaring it if it might cause problems with interacting with colleagues or something but since you say you're high functioning and have worked successfully without adjustment for five years I think it's entirely your decision.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Though the problem is this will be a different kind of work. At the moment I am a kitchen porter Menial mindless physical activity. The jobs I am looking at are more mechanical design based type of thing...

It is an unknown how I will deal with the new environment and the work I will be doing...
  • Options
    You could always phone the contact on the job application and ask them what their policy is on disclosure (give a different name if you're worried about that prejudicing your application, but it shouldn't). Most companies ask questions about disability on a separate form and detach it from the bit that's used for shortlisting, or only ask if you have requirements pertaining to the interview process.

Employ-ability are a very good organisation, most of what I've said here comes from a workshop they gave at my last uni.
  • Options
    Hi Firefly86:wave:,

If you have not recieved a formal diagnosis for ASD you would not have to declare it on an application form, however it would be worth disclosing the information that you may be issued with a formal diagnosis in the near future as it is always best to be upfront when applying for employment.
    A diagnosis will not hinder you from finding work and as you are aware all employers have to work within the Disability Discrimination Act guidelines.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you are getting on !!:thumb:.
  • Options
    Thanks.

My mother is trying to get me to not go and get diagnosed so I won't have to actually say anything. Which admittedly does have its advantages. But then I really don't know what the advantage would be in getting diagnosed... (assuming it is a positive diagnosis)

Kind of in limbo at the moment.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    Thanks.

My mother is trying to get me to not go and get diagnosed so I won't have to actually say anything. Which admittedly does have its advantages. But then I really don't know what the advantage would be in getting diagnosed... (assuming it is a positive diagnosis)

If you think you need any support, you're going to need a diagnosis.
  • Options
    Again the problem is I'm unsure what support is available, if it will help me and if it would be worth it.
  • Options
    With the DDA, it's always worth taking the protection with a pinch of salt. If employers are aware of a disability and they do not want to employ you, unless they are really stupid it's very difficult to argue that they've discriminated against you. I've not been given jobs because of a declared mental disability; I could never prove it because they were clever enough to mark me down just enough to not get the job.

Generally it's a good idea to work on the basis that you should only declare if you absolutely have to. If you're going to need support in your job then you'll need to declare it, but if you're generally high-functioning you might not need the support. I'm declared disabled in this job as I needed to explain an absence record and in the job I lost due to disability they asked direct questions in a medical questionnaire that I couldn't lie about. They had read the medical questionnaire even though they were not supposed to, of that I am certain. It's your call. If you can live without a diagnosis you probably should avoid getting one; what you don't officially know you don't have to lie about.
  • Options
    With the DDA, it's always worth taking the protection with a pinch of salt. If employers are aware of a disability and they do not want to employ you, unless they are really stupid it's very difficult to argue that they've discriminated against you. I've not been given jobs because of a declared mental disability; I could never prove it because they were clever enough to mark me down just enough to not get the job.

Generally it's a good idea to work on the basis that you should only declare if you absolutely have to. If you're going to need support in your job then you'll need to declare it, but if you're generally high-functioning you might not need the support. I'm declared disabled in this job as I needed to explain an absence record and in the job I lost due to disability they asked direct questions in a medical questionnaire that I couldn't lie about. They had read the medical questionnaire even though they were not supposed to, of that I am certain. It's your call. If you can live without a diagnosis you probably should avoid getting one; what you don't officially know you don't have to lie about.

This is what i was worried about. Yes they are not supposed to discriminate but it cannot be proved that they don't.

I know there will be some questions which leave no way around omitting the truth.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I have maybe 5-6 months before I even get an appointment with the guy who deals with autism in Leicester so I guess I can say that right now having no official diagnosis either way I don't have to admit anything. Although if there is a question of history of mental illness then I would have to answer yes anyway.
  • Options
    It's not up to your mother. If you want a diagnosis, ask for one. You're old enough to make your own decisions.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    It's not up to your mother. If you want a diagnosis, ask for one. You're old enough to make your own decisions.

Maybe not but advice is worth listening too.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    Again the problem is I'm unsure what support is available, if it will help me and if it would be worth it.

What support do you need?
  • Options
    My main problem as of now is Depression, which is a secondary issue, caused by the primary issue which is my inability to socialize.

I am on Antidepressants, but they only help so much. The depression causes me to lose interest in everything and I find I am unable to work on my Uni reports and so end up wasting my days.

As I said, and indeed you quoted, I don't know what support is available that could help me.

I know about befriending scheme's and inclusion support services and so on and am all signed up. But so far nothing has really happened with regard to anything happening with these services.