Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

SH question- is it becoming a habit? (possibly triggering)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Little warning: may be triggering?

I've managed to cut down my SH recently(was cutting wrists mostly) without really trying which is a good thing I guess. I have ideas why I may have managed this- but now I have started to find even less obvious ways now which I think may be becoming a habit. For example scratching an area repeatedly, or, more often, biting my tongue deliberately. I've found this is one I can do in stressful situations without others noticing- I sometimes don't realise I'm doing it until afterwards and then regret it, as it can make eating painful.

Was basically wondering if anyone knows anyway of stopping it? At night I can put my old retainers in, so I can't physically bite, but a) that doesn't help scratching, b) that's only at night and c) they look like they will fall apart soon. Ideas? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    If you had chewing gum in your mouth, maybe you'd stop doing it without noticing?

Well done on stopping cutting so much tho :)
  • Options
    guess that is an idea- thanks, although can't chew at work as am in a no-eating/ no-drinking environment. Work is becoming the time I'm worse too
  • Options
    Seems like you are going through a lot at the moment, what makes you want to self harm? Is their a reason behind it? Could you get in to couselling for your self harming? Have you thought about putting a bandage where you are scraching so you won't be scraching as much, if the urges is really strong, could you call a friend or someone just to have a little natter with? It could help? Would you try that??

Take care
    DD :heart: