Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Attempted date rape/self esteem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I haven't really talked about it much on here but basically last summer while abroad I was the subject of what I'm pretty certain was an attempted date rape. Luckily I managed to get away before anything too serious happened and I was a bit shaken for a while but didn't think it had affected me too much. But I've realised whilst I'm not constantly looking over my shoulder and paranoid every other man is going to try and hurt me, my self esteem has taken a nose dive. And another incident of unwillingly being used for sex just a few months later hasn't helped matters either. Anyway, it's been a while since I've sought help for mental health issues and I didn't have a totally positive experience last time either, but I think I could do with seeing someone to try and get out of my negative patterns of thinking and try and get over this properly - because it's obiously affected me more than I thought it would. But I have no idea who to go to, I'd feel a bit silly going and talking to my GP solely for this.

Comments

• Options
    There's nothing silly about going to see your GP about this. You may be able to go to counselling without seeing your GP?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    There's nothing silly about going to see your GP about this. You may be able to go to counselling without seeing your GP?

Particularly through university or a charity like victim support.
  • Options
    I finish uni in a couple of weeks, which charities are there?
  • Options
    Rape crisis
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I finish uni in a couple of weeks, which charities are there?

Try looking for someone like Mind in your local area and seeing what they can offer, same with Victim Support. A lot of it depends on local resources really. TheSite's local advice finder was pretty good for me in the past (it's under Need Help Now on the Community front page, just put the post code of where you're living / will live after uni).
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    TheSite's local advice finder was pretty good for me in the past (it's under Need Help Now on the Community front page, just put the post code of where you're living / will live after uni).

^^^^^^ this :yes:

So sorry you've had to carry this, it certainly isn't something you should feel silly about taking to the gp *hug*

dp :heart:
  • Options
    I'm struggling to find free services in my area. Is it possible to get councelling on the NHS? I had it when I was a teenager so it was all a different service back then.
  • Options
    It should be. I've been offered it.