Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Negative calorie foods - look!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, just thought id share this with you all, as it seems quite good and ive read a few threads about people trying to loose weight healthily!
In my mum's copy of Best (6th july 2004) there's an article on negative calorie foods - foods which "use more calories to digest than they actually contain" ive taken quotes from the article!
they give the following examples:
*apples
*asparagus
*aubergine
*blueberries
*beetroots
*broccoli
*brussel sprouts
*cabbage
*carrots
*cauliflower
*cherries
*celery
*courgettes
*cranberries
*cress
*cucumber
*grapefruit
*grapes
*green beans
*lemons
*lettuce
*mango
*onions
*oranges
*peaches
*pears
*pineapple
*radish
*raspberries
*spinach
*strawberries
*tangerines
*turnips
e.g "a portion of brussel sprouts provides 50 calories, but 75 calories are utilised in digestion and absorption - meaning you burn fat from eating them"

"These foods are generally fruits and veg which contain high amounts of fibre and take some effort to digest! however they also have high levels of vitamins and minerals the help to create calorie-burning enzymes"

"because this diet's packed with anti-oxidants and water from all the fruit and veg your skin can look young in a week"

Also, eating protein filled foods such as; white fish, shellfish, eggs, pork, lean beef and lamb, chicken and turkey, tofu and soya milk,beans, pulses and low-fat dairy foods can help protein levels in the body - making you look and feel better

Hope some of you find this useful - remember to still include other types of food though, dont live like a rabbit!
PM me or reply if you would like any more info+il try to give some if i can :thumb:
SBG

Comments

• Options
    *GONE*
  • Options
    o......m.....g

HEALTHY DIET ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! yay lol
  • Options
    wow,that is interesting,i eat a few of the things in there daily pretty much,or anytime i can-grapes,grapefriuts,apples,carrots,cherries,green beans,oranges, peaches,and strawberries. i eat carrots,cherries,grapes and peaches pretty much everyday,the other stuff maybe everyother or once a week
  • Options
    Originally posted by *ash*n*nick*
    wow,that is interesting,i eat a few of the things in there daily pretty much,or anytime i can-grapes,grapefriuts,apples,carrots,cherries,green beans,oranges, peaches,and strawberries. i eat carrots,cherries,grapes and peaches pretty much everyday,the other stuff maybe everyother or once a week

:yes: i know, me too!! so its great for me already! the rest of the article also covers possible meals for when on this diet (apparently eating these foods loses you 1lb per day) for breakfast, lunch and tea.
    anyone wana know any1 let me know :thumb:
  • Options
    So the whole thing about strawberrys costing more calories than they are-thats true then? I read it on here before but this backs it up-if so woo hoo...
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    I've tried this diet.

The only reason why you lose weight from it is because you are still consuming an insufficient amount of calories.
    well yes. thats the whole point.
    You cant lose weight if you eat more calories than you burn. You only ever lose weight if you eat less calories than you use up.
  • Options
    The concept of negative calories is BOLLOCKS.
    The only food that take more energy to digest than it actually contains is celery. OK? Ok.
  • Options
    And a single stick of celery is about as beneficial to your system as 15ml of water. People say that you burn them off just by eating them, I'd just like to submit that that's untrue - but at the same time you're not going to get fat from it.
  • Options
    bollocks, bollocks bollocks.

your body is consuming calories all the time. walking, talking, sleeping, thinking. you actually burn more calories asleep than you would for the same time period awake but inactive. the average human body will use up 1300 calories a day whilst in a coma. if you eat less than 1300 calories a day, yeah, you'll lose weight, but think what it's doing to your body.

digestion is not an exclusive activity. you can't think to yourself that the only thing you will expend calories on today is digestion. if you could, this negative calorie bollocks might work. but it means nothing, cause it's all part of a complex process.

when will people get it into their heads that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is a good balance of good food and exercise. it's not a fad. it's not the latest revelation. it's just always been that way.

fruit and veg is good for you. yes. of couse it is. water's good for you too. try living on that for a few weeks and see how far it gets you.
  • Options
    no! i wasnt saying to just live off these foods as a diet, just to incorporate more into your diet and it may help weight loss in a more healthy way than some diets!
    Kaffrin, i completely agree with you - healthy eating and exercise is the only real way to stay fit and healthy, i just thought that the article was interesting and may help a few people on here
    ~*STRESSED*~ - uve lived off these foods?? :eek: why?? they aren't a diet as such, more as a recommendation - of course your body wouldnt get enough if you lived off fruit+veg - what about protein from meat, etc?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if you eat less than 1300 calories a day, yeah, you'll lose weight, but think what it's doing to your body.

Kaffrin, youre coming at it from the view of an ex anorexic who is still very thin. Obviously you cant afford to under-eat. It doesnt mean its inherently dangerous. I think the majority of the western world eats too much!
  • Options
    The problem with any prescriptive diet is that they put you in a mental space whereby you feel like you are giving something up - and they encourage certain foods over others. All the foods you've mentioned are really healthy - we all know we should include more fruit and veg in our diet, but as others have said, this needs to be balanced alongside other food groups so our bodies are getting the right balance of nutrients.
    In my mind, we all know what we SHOULD be eating to stay healthy and not put on weight, but these faddy diets just try to convince us there's an easier way when there isn't. The hard truth is that there is no short cut - healthy eating needs to be encorporated into your whole life rather than a week or two of extreme changes to lose weight rapidly.
    :p
  • Options
    Pwned... But...
    Originally posted by spanner

In my mind, we all know what we SHOULD be eating to stay healthy and not put on weight

... I don't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I think the majority of the western world eats too much!

:no:

Since 1955 the average daily calory intake has decreased by about 700kCal per day. The average daily amount of calories burned off has dropped by about 1150kCal since 1955.

People don't do enough exercise any more- they work at desks all day, and are too tired to do anything physical when they get home, and they don't have time to walk to and from work.

Kaffrin, youre coming at it from the view of an ex anorexic who is still very thin. Obviously you cant afford to under-eat. It doesnt mean its inherently dangerous.

It depends how prolonged the undereating is. There have been psychological studies that show that people, when faced iwth very limited calorie intake, move into "starvation" mode and that can pose a serious health risk. Both a risk to physical health and a risk to mental health- starvation can induce psychoiatric conditions not disimilar to anorexia nervosa.

Most people can lose weight if they get off the bus one stop early and don't have that Mars bar at lunchtime.
  • Options
    Keep an eye on the date of a thread before you post ;) I'm closing this one now as it's from 2004.
This discussion has been closed.