Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

boyfriend wants me to lose weight..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, me and my boyfriend have been together a couple of years. recently, well i say recently but roughly about 8 months ago, he said he would like me to lose some weight. he didnt say it in a rude way, in fact he felt quite awkward about the whole thing. but at the time i was so upset i didnt do anything about it, and ate more cos he had hurt me. he said that wasnt his intention, and that i dont need to lose that much just 7lbs or something, and that it would improve myself. anyway he has kept mentioning it but again it has the same effect on me, i get upset and eat blah blah..

i dont think i am that overweight, maybe a stone and a half or something. i do feel self conscious around him which i dont like. and i lost a lot of weight in the past but i dont have the willpower to keep it off. i feel so down about myself, particularly because our sex life has dwindled lately because he says he so badly wants me to lose weight and he cant help feeling the way he does but he still loves me and thinks im beautiful, just wants me to better himself. one time he lost his hard on which upset me greatly (as you can imagine) and i just know it was because hes thinking, why isnt she doing something that ive asked of her when she knows how much it would mean to me?

i feel upset when he says these things to me, and i know you are prob thinking, well why dont you lose weight and it will solve all the problems? the thing is, because he has hurt me by telling me that he wants me to lose weight, the stubborn part of me wants to punish him! fucked up thinking i know but i cant help it!

Comments

• Options
    He loved you when you first got together with him, so he should love you now for what you are. Him changing the goalposts appear rather unfair on you. Plus, being 1½ stone overweight isn't massive, yet it's still more to hug!

I think that less exposure to the size 0 models should do the trick :-)
  • Options
    I think I would break up with a man who told me to lose weight for cosmetic purposes. Different if he was genuinely worried about my health, but in this case it just sounds like he has an "ideal" that he wants you to match up to, and expects you to change how you look because he'd prefer it that way.

If you want to lose weight for YOU then fine, healthy eating and exercise is the way forward. However I don't think you should be forced into changing yourself to suit someone else's preferences. I'm sure there are things about him that you think aren't perfect, but when you love someone you see past those things.

Being sexy doesn't even have to be about the way you look; you can be totally turned on by someone that doesn't have a perfect body or perfect image, and I think it is sad he can't see past a few extra pounds.
  • Options
    id dump a guy for that.
  • Options
    id dump a guy for that.

same!!!!

im REALLY sensitive when it comes to my weight so if my bloke EVER asked me to lose weight or even suggested that i should lose weight, i'd walk away from him. if it was for health reasons, fair enough but if it was just so you'd be slimmer for HIM then thats out of order.
  • Options
    id dump a guy for that.

This isnt about you though is it?

Even if he mildly suggested that i dont think he ment it in a rude way, its up to YOU, if you want to lose some yourself, go for it..if not he should respect it either way.
  • Options
    This isnt about you though is it?

I never said it was :eek2:

its not about you either, so why are YOU answering?
  • Options
    I think its bad enough that he said it the first time, but he knows it's upsetting you and still says it! From what you've said, the fact that his comments make you eat more and you want to punish him for hurting you, this relationship isn't good for you. If he knows that you eat more when he upsets you he should know that you eat when your upset and try to offer you more support when he can see that somethings upset you, rather than just telling you to lose weight.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think it should be a taboo request at all, as long as it's asked in the right way. As you say he still loves you, but maybe fancy's you a bit less - this is not something he can help. You can't change what you are attracted to. I've put on weight for girls who've asked actually - had eat more and visit the gym more.

And losing weight if you are indeed overweight isn't a negative thing. It's a healthy thing and will result in something you can only be happy with.

Why not suggest doing excercise and activities together
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't understand why if a guy says to a girl, "lose some weight" everyone jumps on him like he's in the wrong. OP, if you think you are overweight by 1.5stone and you even want to lose it yourself, then go for it. Don't put yourself down by saying you don't have the willpower. Your willpower is only as strong as you make it.

Maybe it isn't your boyfriends place to say anything, but maybe he is noticing you are upset about it too and wants to HELP you lose some weight - for the both of you.

It's just like if you thought he was overweight and you thought he didn't like it, would you say something?

It's kinda like when someone says "I'm ugly" or "I'm fat", even if you think they could lose some weight you'll still say "no you're not" to make them feel better. Truth is, it wont. It wont be long term happiness until something else comes along and ruins their self-esteem. What you should be doing is helping them, by all means still tell them they aren't fat but you can still do some exercise together. (I know that probably makes me sound like a bad person but I just see someones long term happiness which to me doesn't make me a bad person.)
  • Options
    he said... that it would improve myself.... he still loves me and thinks im beautiful, just wants me to better himself.

These sentiments made me shudder.

My bullying abusive cock of an ex partner was always trying to get me to lose weight, and came out with this kind of shit.

What he meant was...though I love you, I'm a bit embarrassed letting my mates see I've got a chubby girlfriend.

In the end, I managed to lose 12 stone of excess and unhealthy weight by dumping him :thumb:
  • Options
    To be honest, I'm in a similar boat, I'm a tad overweight, when I say tad I mean about 3 stone :lol: I want to join the marines so I have to lose the weight, which I will, to cut this short, lose the weight, you may feel better for it anyway as you will feel healthier etc keep the weight on/put more on and you're just risking serious health issues.

TL;DR lose weight feel good, don't lose weight feel bad.
  • Options
    If you do decide to lose weight do it for yourself not for him.
  • Options
    Old thread. Spam reported.
This discussion has been closed.