Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

whats the point of long distance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my ex, whom i broke up with about 2 weeks ago, for trying to skype with an ex behind my back, is now trying to begin a long-distance relationship with someone he apparently was in a long distance relationship with for about a month, like a little before me. i dont know why they broke up. infact when we were together he told me tht she was someone he was just friends with, but he never mentioned her being out of state..which was obvi a lie.

but now they are kind of together, knowing tht they are never going to see each other, and to me it makes no sense. i cant help but feel like he is using this girl emotionally to get close to, to move on from me. but it seems so pointless to me, and kind of lame on his part..cause he cant move on with someone that he can actually SEE.

soo I just have to know...can anyone tell me how they would benefit from having a long distance relationship? And im not even talking about with someone who has lived in the same state at one point where the two people knew or used to go together.

Im saying, meeting someone online (facebook, myspace) and then talking to them for awhile and deciding to pursue a relationship..instead of being with someone who lives in the same state.

Can he really benefit from that? Pro's..cons?

what does this say about him that is deciding to do this?

is this a good rebound technique after a break up?

cause he has never and cant even see the girl, compared to someone tht actually lives in state with him.

Comments

• Options
    If someone cant find a person to date where they live then online or long distance relationships can be a good way round it. Most people I know have done the long distance thing at least once. Different people will have different distances they can cope with. Some people are in relationships where then can only meet a few times a year others would only be able to cope with a relationship where they only met at weekends.
  • Options
    but they never even see each other. she lives in PA and he lives in detroit, neither one of them are willing to travel 6 hours..so i dont see the point in dating, even caring, unless u just need some kind of emotional tie to somebody.
  • Options
    sounds bollocks to me, unless you are planning on meeting said person.
  • Options
    Hi independentwoman14,

It seems that the situation with your ex has really been bothering you. Seems this break up did not end on good terms, and now he is a new long distance relationship.

Long-distance relationships can occur for many different reason, yet what i understand is that you don't really agree with doing the distance when you have not met each other?

Like you mentioned, a reason could be the need for emotional attachement or support?
    i dont see the point in dating, even caring, unless u just need some kind of emotional tie to somebody
    Or perhaps some people need to talk to people that are not in their every day lives and involved with their circle, so sometimes it can be an escape.

Either way, perhaps it is time to accept it's over and perhaps even find your own new relationship?

*hug*
  • Options
    Being in a long distance relationship doesn't mean you'll never see each other.
  • Options
    If they have never met and dont intend to meet then its not really dating.