Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Freezing Sperm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a bit of a dilema which i am finding hard to talk about with my family or any of the team of people who are looking after me.

Some of you will know that i am transgender and at the moment going through the transition from m2f, in two to three months after a long long struggle i hope to be starting on drug and hormone therapy.

The problem is that my family want me to consider freezing sperm:blush: for the future incase i want children.

Although i would really love to have children in the future i have accepted that this will not happen as i can not get my head around being a "father" it just seems alien to me, the fact that i can even produce sperm makes me feel awful.

I cant seem to get across to my family how distressing it is for me to even think about those parts of my body, i dont feel in anyway male at all and i just want to put these years behind me and move on without any reminders.

My mum in particular is worried that i will change my mind and regret not doing it, she has been very supportive of me and i can see it is upseting her but i can't think of how to make her understand.

This is getting harder and more complicated the further along i go.

Am i being selfish here, should i back down on this?

Comments

• Options
    Ultimately, it's your decision.
  • Options
    It is ultimately your deicision, and i can see their point in that one day you might change your mind and want to have a child that is biologically yours. But dont let them force you into something you dont want to do
  • Options
    i think its your decision, but i can see their point. Theres a good chance you may in the future want a biological child, even if you cant see it now because youve got so much other stuff going on in your head.
    Its better to have that option and not need it, than to later on wish youd done it and it be too late x
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    Am i being selfish here, should i back down on this?

No, i don't think you're being selfish.

Should you back down - in my opinion, yes. (if this is just about freezing some sperm)

You just don't know what the future may hold for you. 5, 10 maybe 20 years time you may well regret the fact that you can never have a bilogical child, all for the sake of making a spunkcicle :)

You don't need to get you head around being your babies father. Ok, i don't know the law etc and you may be on the certificate as the father but in every other respect you will be that child's mother.

A few minutes unpleasantness for you, would give you some security in the fact that the ability to have a child is there, well part of it :)

I can't remember much of you TG thread as i have the attention span of a fish finger, but are your family being supportive of your transition ? If they are, can't you do this one thing for them, especially your mother and you'd be doing something for yourself as well.

DO REALLY think about this. Once you've had the surgery that's it, no second chance.
  • Options
    just jack off and freeze the sperm. Once you can't produce them anymore it's too late. See yourself as a mother later, or whatever, but at least it's your offspring. Better have it and don't need it, than not having it. If you decide you don't want any of your own progeny you can still use the jizz and spike the piña colada of someone you don't like much.
  • Options
    What is it about it that distresses you? The act of doing it itself, ie having to masturbate?
  • Options
    You should do what you think is right. Sure, you don't know what is coming but there are so many decision in your life that applies to right now and we don't put such great store on "the future" for them.

I can understand where you are coming from, and children can be adopted, maybe you need to speak to your Mum to understand why she thinks it;s important. This could be as much about her desire to have biological grandchildren from you...
  • Options
    I think it's something you should consider doing, as like others have said, you can always freeze it and not use it but if you don't freeze it and then later change your mind, it may be something you regret.

If it is distressing for you, something to try and think about is will it be more distressing producing a bit of sperm or will it be more distressing not doing it and then regretting it?

Also if you decided to freeze some, could you not think of sperm as "sperm" and think of it more as "half a baby making thing". If you don't label it as sperm does it make it easier to think about? (If that makes sense?!)

Ultimately though it's your decision. *hug*
  • Options
    I think it's your decision, and you shouldn't do it for someone else. If you are going to do it, do it for yourself.

If later down the line you want children, there are plenty more options. Personally, I think adoption is a great thing, there are so many kids out there who need someone to love them, and I know you'd be an amazing mum! I understand that some people feel differently about adopting, but I just think there are is no need to create more children when there are hundreds who need someone there for them, who need someone to help them through all the troubles in their life. They don't want to be in and out foster homes, they want someone to love them unconditionally!
  • Options
    Wow, that's rough.

It's a very hard question to ask at your age, and it's incredible that you're facing up to it.

I know for most of my trans friends the attributes of the physical sex they were born into feel very alien so I can completely see why you'd feel reluctant to consider it.

I've met the folks from Gires a couple of times, they're really good and might have some information.

Also, if you don't know them already you should check out the QYN's forums. They're another excellent source of support and you would have more access to peer advice on these issues. We do our best but we don't truly know what you're going through.

Good luck! If you want to be put in touch with any trans folk I know a few who'd be happy to talk (m2f, f2m and genderqueer) so feel free to PM and ask.
  • Options
    there are hundreds who need someone there for them,!

There arent in reality. Its incredibly difficult to be approved for adoption, even if you do tick all the boxes, pass all the psychological tests, etc etc.

If youre living an unconventional lifestyle or have serious issues in your past, you may as well not even bother thinking about it
  • Options
    i think its your decision, but i can see their point. Theres a good chance you may in the future want a biological child, even if you cant see it now because youve got so much other stuff going on in your head.
    Its better to have that option and not need it, than to later on wish youd done it and it be too late x

I agree with this. Whether you provided the sperm or the egg is immaterial, really, you would be that child's parent, and even if biologically you were the father, in practice you would be their mum. I would urge you to seriously consider it, even if in the end you decide not to, because like Suzy says, imo it's better to have sperm frozen that you never use than not to do it, get 20 years down the line and wish desperately that you had.

Adoption is a nice idea, but in practice it's not as simple as you adopt a child and raise it as your own. Especially not these days. There are so many hoops to jump through, it's a long and painful process and some people don't get approved at all, for whatever reason. In addition, a lot of the kids up for adoption these days have a lot of problems. 30 years ago you had a lot of women who gave up their babies cause they were too young, or single, or struggled to cope, but these days the same women would probably have abortions, or they'd keep their babies cause there's a lot more support available and much less stigma about teenage/single mothers, so the pool of mentally and physically healthy babies is pretty small. They might have special needs, or have been taken from an abusive home, so they have lifelong issues. And I think the people who offer these babies with extra needs a home are amazing, amazing people, but realistically it's not for everyone. I don't think I could do it, tbh, I've seen it in practice in my family, and the results can be heartbreaking for all sides.

I'm not saying no one should adopt. Just that when you're considering your options, don't think 'well I can always adopt', cause it really isn't as cut and dried as that and you need to understand what you'd be getting yourself into.

Anyhoo, I hope you come to a decision that's right for you, Louise. I can't imagine it's a simple thing to try and get your head round *hug*
  • Options
    think about it this way, what if one day you meet a transgender person who has undergone f2m surgery and frozen their eggs....wouldn't you have wished youd frozen your sperm?
  • Options
    Having read through your comments and having a extremley embarrasing conversation :blush: with my mum last night i have agreed to at least ask about this if its not bought up by them at my next appoitment.
    I would like to know whats involved in the process at least.

Some of your thoughts and opinions made me think i was maybe being a little short sighted and they have helped me look at this from a diffrent angle.

I am still not 100% that this is what i want at all and i do feel under a bit of pressure to agree just to keep others happy (mum) !!!
    But as has been said in the past she and others have given me so much maybe i should just do this.

I guess i probably will in the end.
  • Options
    Instead of looking at it as potentially being a biological 'father', you should view it as being a biological parent. It doesn't matter how the DNA got there, it's the fact it's yours that is most important.