Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to invite a girl - social phobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everybody,
just to begin with, I am suffering from social phobia and I am taking pills for depression and I have been undertaking CBT for over a year now. I have already been noticing some improvements but I am still not in the state I would like to be.
A more than a year ago I asked the girl sitting next to me at a lecture for her name because I really liked her and she began to talk with me which really surprised me. At the end of the conversation I asked her if she would like to have some tea with me and she answered that she could not because she was going somewhere with her boyfriend.

Since then she always smiled at me when she saw me but I was really horrified of talking to her. Last tuesday she happened to be standing right next to me before the lecture hall. She smiled at me and I asked her how she was. She told me that I can always sit with her and her friends at the lecture. Since then I accompanied her three times to the bus stop, once I asked her if she minded if I accompany her and she said that not at all that she would be happy. We talked and she let three buses pass. I was telling myself that she could have get in the first one if she didn't like me. Another time I asked her at a lecture if I can sit down next to her and she nicely answered: "Surely." Then during a break she was telling me something and blushed really cutely :)

So to sum it up. I have talked to her three times during the last week and that was after a year. I think she might like me. I like her a lot. Well, I like everybody who is kind with me since I dont get to talk to people alot. (it seems she is not with her boyfriend anymore) I would really like to invite her somewhere but I dont know where how, when. My mind is constantly filled with automatic thoughts - she hates you, nobody likes you, you're ugly, you're not interesting at all - well you can imagine what social phobia is about. After each social interaction I am so exhausted I have to go to sleep. What do I do?

I know it sounds like nothing new. But I am really affraid of people. I am always sick at school since there are too many of them. I am sick of myself too that I can't do what I would like to. I am still coping with my social phobia but this girl is so nice to me. But why would she want me if there are so many of other guys who are not that miserable as I am?

Comments

• Options
    I know that feeling, that it seems to be too good to be true. I don't know, maybe I am a pessimist, but I think she just likes your calm, suave attitude and likes you as a friend, especially since you are not coming on to her. You could try to ask her to hang out, to get to know her better privately and she won't clam up since it is not a date. Just see how it goes, I guess, but although there are no clear signs for it, I just have this gut feeling that she is not interested romantically in you, but hey, just try and find out carefully, she sounds like an alright person.
  • Options
    Well frankly that is not that I wanted to hear :) I don't know how she should act so that I knew she was romantic with me. I think she might be or maybe it's just my wish. Once she kind of waited for me after a lecture if I was going with her again. I am just not sure how do I know if she likes me :( Should I flirt with her? But how to do that? :) Should I act like I am coming onto her? I thought that she already knew from the fact that I was accompanying her and was really interested in her. But I don't know if it's nice to flirt with her obviously. She looks like the kind of a person whould would find it intrusive. ?
    I guess I won't know anything unless I ask her out? But when should I do it? Is it ok after I have talked to her three times? Or should I approach her few more times and chat?
  • Options
    Well, I know that you did not want to hear that. Like I said, nobody can say from the info in what light she sees you, just know that I knew a lot of girls, who did a lot of things for me, like waiting for me in the blistering cold, ask me for a cup of coffee, offer me help me for a test I was taking in uni (didn't ask for it). Fetched me from my work place and went drinking with me from 4pm until midnight. Drove through half the city at night to stay the night with me, because I was ill and didn't want to be alone. Asking me to travel with them (just us two), etc...

Naturally one would think, "hey, this is a bit too nice for just friendship. It could be 'signs'." Being someone who hates being in uncertainty I tried to expand it to more than friendship, which has not worked yet.

If you must know, I am in a bit of a similar situation with a girl. Just that I am a bit more confident in me, I know her a bit better and privately already, but I still have no idea what she wants off me. So I just meet her and talk to her and enjoy what I have with her and I will see where this brings me.

I just have this feeling she is just being friendly and you are overinterpreting those things. Just talk her up regularly, ask for her number sometime, meet her casually to do whatever and see if she becomes more concrete. But try to keep your expectations in check. I wouldn't give away your interest until she knows you better...
  • Options
    I am really sorry that you have had such a bad experience with girls' attitude :( I have had a different experience though. Although I did not have many girls it always began this innocently. But I know I should not overestimate it. I am just always amazed that somebody talks to me. It is something I don't expect from others.

I guess the best thing to do is what you have said. I will try to talk to her although it is very hard for me. I'm still afraid she'll begin to hate me. All those obtrusive thoughts are coming to my mind. I've learnt some techniques how to cope with 'em but it's really hard.

But considering what you have said it seems that you can never know :) That's rather good news for me. But I'm very bad at interpreting human behavious although I've read a lot about it. That is the cost of my phobia. I guess I am more afraid that I will annoy her and won't know it :(
  • Options
    Do what you must, mate. Just keep your emotional distance. What she might like about you, could be what she perceives as humility. Don't let her in about your fear and insecurities. They are mostly a turn-off.