Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I Have No Friends!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 26 years old and I have had a severe reality check. I actually have no friends! In my late teens/ early twenties I hung around with a big group of people. They were my best friends but somewhere along the road, I became career focused and have had promotions and settled down in my own house. I'm getting married in the summer so I have invited all of my old friends to the reception in the evening but now I'm thinking I've made a big mistake. I've invited them as it's a good excuse to get everyone together but is 6 years too long of a time to go without seeing or speaking to people regularly to then invite them to your wedding party?? I'm now thinking it is!

All of them have got back to me to say they would like to come apart from one but should have I invited them given it has been so long?? I feel really nervous about it now!!

Comments

• Options
    Of course its not too late, its never too late to rekindle friendships, or at least try to.

Maybe you can all get together before the wedding to get reacquainted
  • Options
    if they felt it was weird for you to invite them then they wouldn't have said they would come to your wedding.

Friendships ebb and flow. I didn't speak to my best mate from school for about 3 years from 04-07 but now we play golf every week.....it happens!
  • Options
    I sometimes meet up with people I have not seen in ages and have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it can be to pick up from where you left off.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I sometimes meet up with people I have not seen in ages and have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it can be to pick up from where you left off.

Yeah, particularly friends from university. You've started from scratch once I'm sure you can do it again.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »

Definitely, blasts from the past are generally pretty good.
  • Options
    Hi Kirstie!

Welcome to the boards :wave:

I agree with the posters in that there is no harm in inviting them, especially as most of them said yes! Many people rekindle friendships after many years, especially since social networks such as Facebook has brought people together after years of being apart. You might have regretted it if you hadn't tried, so good on you!

It is worth noticing though that you mentioned you have no friends. You mention your career, are you currently working? Do you have anyone at work you could make friends with? Have a look at our article on ways to meet new people. This section below can also help;
    Meeting new people can seem daunting. Lasting friendships are often built on common interests. The best way to do it is to go to places where you'll meet people who have things in common with you. Why don't you think about what do you like doing? If it's sport, why not join a local sports club or gym? If it's theatre or music, find out about local choirs, groups or amateur dramatic groups. Perhaps you could take an evening class in something you're interested in. Why not use the internet, public notice boards, your local council's website or the local paper to find out about local activities? You could even try volunteering in something that interests you.

And Congratulations on your wedding :thumb: