Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Unwritten Rules

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Please post any unwritten rules in any social situations. It could be anything at all, even small and insignificant, from the stuff little kids learn (i.e. no hitting) to stuff people acquire as teenagers or even adults (i.e. lying is acceptable within certain contex.)

I'll start:

Things people tattle to the teacher in grade school cannot be tattled to the boss at work.

I remember when Kyra wouldn't let me sit with her during break, I told my boss and all she said is to find another table. She didn't even convince Kyra to let me sit with her. If that was grade school, it woulda been a different outcome.

u?

Comments

• Options
    I get the impression that sometimes these social rules come as a bit of a suprise to you, where other people seem to know what they are. Is that how you feel about the situation?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I get the impression that sometimes these social rules come as a bit of a suprise to you, where other people seem to know what they are. Is that how you feel about the situation?

I know it bothers management to for me to tattle just bc someone won't sit with me. That's y I didn't do it at Wal-Mart when Emily won't let me sit at her table. At McD's, however, she was more lenient. It depends on who's in charge. I know I wasn't supposed to tattle, but I was just so desperate. So no big surprise.
  • Options
    Ok, here's a big unwritten social rule that needs to be a written social rule in this particular circumstance.

It is *not* cool to bribe/beg/threaten someone to be your friend or throw hissy fits because someone won't be your bosom buddy.
  • Options
    No spunking in the soup.
  • Options
    Always agree a safeword before you start
  • Options
    If someone offers to make you a cup of tea and then brings back a cup that's only about two thirds full, it's OK to lash out at them.
  • Options
    If someone puts Ketchup on a roast dinner, you can take them outside and stone them
  • Options
    If someone puts Ketchup on a roast dinner, you can take them outside and stone them

Nice. :D

Also, if someone seasons food you give them without tasting it first, it's OK to smother them in their sleep.
  • Options
    If someone puts sugar in their tea, it's OK to flay them.

Trufact.
  • Options
    Nice. :D

Also, if someone seasons food you give them without tasting it first, it's OK to smother them in their sleep.
    :nervous:

Remind me never to let you cook me dinner :o
  • Options

Oh God yes.

Anyone a "Light" Beer can have rotten fruit thrown at them
  • Options
    Two hetro men wanking in the same room at the same time stays hetro as long as they're back-to-back and no one peeks.
  • Options
    I always find that a good piece of advice when entering into new social situations is to tone down your personality and adopt a more generic stance. Be yourself but control and contain yourself until you work out the dynamics of the situation. If you come flying in with a very definite personality then you force people to have an opinion of you. They may love you, they may hate you. If you come in with a more neutral personality then you tend to get a greater benefit of the doubt, and you can add in more elements of your personality the more you assimilate into the group.

I find that people often try too hard to stand out and end up standing out in all the wrong ways. Integration into a fixed social group requires that you let people get used to your presence in a way that doesn't threaten or antagonise them.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    It isn't about "toning down" your personality, it's about being appropriate in a setting. When I'm networking professionally I keep my opinions to myself because not all my colleagues would appreciate them (I work with a lot of creditors...).

If you act too generic then people just think you're a boring fucker.
  • Options
    It isn't about "toning down" your personality, it's about being appropriate in a setting. When I'm networking professionally I keep my opinions to myself because not all my colleagues would appreciate them (I work with a lot of creditors...).

If you act too generic then people just think you're a boring fucker.

Some people aren't blessed with the ability to judge what is appropriate in a given setting, clearly, hence why they alienate themselves right from the off. That's why I chose the phrase 'toning down'. Those who mix in professional circles SHOULD have a better idea of appropriate behaviour, granted, though some still don't surprisingly enough, I'm sure you've noticed the same.

Having a more neutral personality in the first instance will not make you seem boring. Adopting a more generic personality, by definition, would align you with the general population of whatever social setting that you are in. This is not the worst stance in which to merge into a group and you can then add in elements of your personality.

My advice is not a one size fits all approach, some occasions require a person to stand out from point one. However, I'm happy with the thoughts I contributed to this thread. I'm also happy to accept different opinions, just justifying my own being as you've commented.
  • Options
    The whole toning down vs being boring is a real tough one for some people. On the one hand its important to be yourself in order to make genuine friends but if being yourself means that you don't fit in with other people is it really worth it?

I find if I am myself then I don't fit in with the people I am trying to fit in with. Generally I get seen as either "too young" for the group or "a nerd", I could try to act older or not talk about the things that make me seem nerdy but I think I would be being in the first case fake and the second very boring.

That said some good advice would be

Treat others in the way you would like them to treat you
    Don't give out too much gruesome personal information too soon
    If you feel yourself getting into a rage either count to ten or walk away to cool off
    Accept that not everyone out there is going to immediately like you
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    The whole toning down vs being boring is a real tough one for some people. On the one hand its important to be yourself in order to make genuine friends but if being yourself means that you don't fit in with other people is it really worth it?

I find if I am myself then I don't fit in with the people I am trying to fit in with. Generally I get seen as either "too young" for the group or "a nerd", I could try to act older or not talk about the things that make me seem nerdy but I think I would be being in the first case fake and the second very boring.

That said some good advice would be

Treat others in the way you would like them to treat you
    Don't give out too much gruesome personal information too soon
    If you feel yourself getting into a rage either count to ten or walk away to cool off
    Accept that not everyone out there is going to immediately like you

If you feel you have to be someone else to be accepted, then your around ppl not worth hanging with anyway. You want people to accept you for who you are.
  • Options
    If you feel you have to be someone else to be accepted, then your around ppl not worth hanging with anyway. You want people to accept you for who you are.

I'm not sure you are the way you are usually, though. It doesn't sound like this behaviour makes you happy and it seems to me as though moderating your behaviour in this instance would be a kindness to yourself and not a concession to the needs of others.