Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm 21 and they treat high schoolers better than me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If that was you, you'd be pissed too. I'm older and more mature. Why can't they just accept me? The teenagers think the world revolves around them. I don't.

Comments

• Options
    If that was you, you'd be pissed too. I'm older and more mature. Why can't they just accept me? The teenagers think the world revolves around them. I don't.

Because you act like a child? *shrugs*
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Because you act like a child? *shrugs*

you think?
  • Options
    The teenagers think the world revolves around them. I don't.

Given what you post here, I'd say that statement is untrue.

NB I treat wild animals better than you treat other people
  • Options
    you think?

:yes:
  • Options

Being older doesn't make you more mature. In all honestly, you come across as very childish. Given what you've posted, I'm not that surprised that they won't accept you.
  • Options
    Given what you post here, I'd say that statement is untrue.

NB I treat wild animals better than you treat other people

I treat ALL animals better than I treat ppl. idk y. It's like I know I'm hurting ppl but I can't stop myself. Worse yet, I never felt any regret for doing so.
  • Options
    Sociopath eh?
  • Options
    I imagine these teenagers are treated better than you because they are more mature than you. I agree with the above poster. You do come across as a complete sociopath.

Ask yourself this, would you want to be friends with someone who hurts other people and does not care? Why should anyone want someone like that in their life?

Like I said these people are probably ostracising to protect themselves from getting harmed by you and you don't have anthing to offer as a friend.
  • Options
    Treat others how you want to be treated.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I imagine these teenagers are treated better than you because they are more mature than you. I agree with the above poster. You do come across as a complete sociopath.

Ask yourself this, would you want to be friends with someone who hurts other people and does not care? Why should anyone want someone like that in their life?

Like I said these people are probably ostracising to protect themselves from getting harmed by you and you don't have anthing to offer as a friend.

I'm not sure I'm a sociopath or psychopath or sadist. I prolly just have a mental illness that makes me kinda self centered. My shrink says I have personality disorder. (4got the name.) If I hurt anyone physically, I'd actually feel bad. That's why I don't hit ppl.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'm a sociopath or psychopath or sadist. I prolly just have a mental illness that makes me kinda self centered. My shrink says I have personality disorder. (4got the name.) If I hurt anyone physically, I'd actually feel bad. That's why I don't hit ppl.

This is all well and good but you still do need to exercise some control in your daily life if you want respect.

Is it Borderline Personality Disorder your therapist mentioned? Your extreme reactions to rejection are suggestive of that. There are specific forms of therapy that are supposed to be very effective for BPD, has she discussed these with you?

You might need to get a bit more support and treatment in the future to moderate your behaviour.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    This is all well and good but you still do need to exercise some control in your daily life if you want respect.

Is it Borderline Personality Disorder your therapist mentioned? Your extreme reactions to rejection are suggestive of that. There are specific forms of therapy that are supposed to be very effective for BPD, has she discussed these with you?

You might need to get a bit more support and treatment in the future to moderate your behaviour.

She said I have BPD features but I don't have BPD. The major characteristic is idealizing and devaulating the same person off and on. I never idealized my real friends and I never devaluated people like Kyra. I think it's more like Personality Disorder - NOS. (not otherwise specified.)
  • Options
    She said I have BPD features but I don't have BPD. The major characteristic is idealizing and devaulating the same person off and on. I never idealized my real friends and I never devaluated people like Kyra. I think it's more like Personality Disorder - NOS. (not otherwise specified.)

Even so, has she talked about appropriate therapies? Counselling won't do a great deal for a personality disorder in the long term.
  • Options

That doesn't sound very mature.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Being older doesn't make you more mature. In all honestly, you come across as very childish.

Dammit I'm 36 and I still act like a teenager. Clue - I'm 4 years away from 40 and I'm posting on a forum that's aimed at 16-24 year olds.

I really wouldn't worry about not being treated like a 21 year old. You'd be better off being concerned about being treated like YOU. There's no hope for me. I'm a sad mid-30s bloke who has yet to grow up but you're still (comparatively) young. I'd hazard a guess (whilst agreeing that I don't know you) that the more you try to be accepted the less it happens?
  • Options
    Dammit I'm 36 and I still act like a teenager. Clue - I'm 4 years away from 40 and I'm posting on a forum that's aimed at 16-24 year olds.

I really wouldn't worry about not being treated like a 21 year old. You'd be better off being concerned about being treated like YOU. There's no hope for me. I'm a sad mid-30s bloke who has yet to grow up but you're still (comparatively) young. I'd hazard a guess (whilst agreeing that I don't know you) that the more you try to be accepted the less it happens?

Glenn, I think if you read his other posts, there is much more than an issue of 'maturity' here. This guy has serious social and anger management issues - hence why he is not treated as an 'equal' by his peers.

But your words are comforting to me. I never wanna grow up!!!! :yippe:
  • Options
    Hi all,

I think that StonedAngel has posed quite an interesting question here, and one that perhaps has been touched upon slightly but maybe is being overlooked.

What is maturity? What is it about the way that we act that determines how people react towards us? Is it fair to treat an adult - regardless of the intricacies and complexities of their character - as a teenager?

Stoned Angel it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong here) that this thread in particular is a way for you to rant a bit and let off some steam. But it does still seem to me that there are some questions here that we could all really constructively engage with.

What do the rest of you think?

Will.