Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

daft question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i feel quite ill today and my heart feels like its beating really fast...like you know if you're nervous about something, and your heart starts pounding. or if you've been running and your heart beats quite hard well it feels like that but all the time, for most of today. should i be worried and err, what can i to make it stop?! it feels really uncomfortable. could it be anything to do with having caffeine when i dont usually? im puzzled but feel really weird :(

Comments

• Options
    Oh my god this has been happening to me too! Is yours irregular as well like its skipping beats?
  • Options
    yeah a little bit, just like itshammering all over the place really. :|
  • Options
    It's a sign of anxiety which has increase the adrenaline levels in your blood stream.

Pretty normal. If it happens regularly though, your GP will prescribe Betablockers to control it.
  • Options
    Hmmm i havent been anxious about anything though. I also noticed that when i got up to go to the kitchen it would stop but when sitting and doing work it was really noticeable
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I also get this from caffeine, because I'm not used to having it, I'm really sensitive and also presents with those symptoms - could be a mix of the two?
  • Options
    I get that if I have more caffeine than usual or have it at a weird time of day (breakfast coffee kills me, no idea why!)
  • Options
    i dont drink tea or coffee but iv been working night shifts and just drinking one can of redbull a night to keep me awake, i dont know if its that. but i am feeling really anxious over a couple of things so maybe its that too. :(
  • Options
    Red Bull - caffeine content 80mg per 12 fl oz. or similar to an espresso
  • Options
    I get this if i drink strong coffee or energy drinks (i don't usually)- I think when you are sitting down etc you will naturally notice it more. I also get this if i'm a bit under the weather- i feel my heartbeat in my stomach, and when i'm anxious.. but not specifically anxious.
  • Options
    i dont drink tea or coffee but iv been working night shifts and just drinking one can of redbull a night to keep me awake, i dont know if its that. but i am feeling really anxious over a couple of things so maybe its that too. :(
    I used to work nights and Red Bull was good to keep me up through the last hours (and the crash after a few hours helped me sleep) but it did make me ill for up to 2 days after, I was surprised how hard it hit me.
  • Options
    Some people are extra sensitive to caffeine. I know I am. I once took one pro-plus tablet at uni after an all-nighter, and I felt like I was dying! Sick, shaky, pale, like my heart was going to leap out of my chest and generally on-edge, and it lasted for days!

It could definitely be the caffeine if you're not used to it, even if it seems like a normal amount, but if it carries on for a while and you haven't had any more caffeine, have a word with your docs. I've been having palpitations and chest pain for a few months, and am in the process of being tested! Doc says it could be something easily fixed like anaemia or thyroid problems, as well as something like anxiety, so don't do what I did and panic that you're going to die of heart failure :p
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Some people are extra sensitive to caffeine. I know I am. I once took one pro-plus tablet at uni after an all-nighter, and I felt like I was dying! Sick, shaky, pale, like my heart was going to leap out of my chest and generally on-edge, and it lasted for days!

It could definitely be the caffeine if you're not used to it, even if it seems like a normal amount, but if it carries on for a while and you haven't had any more caffeine, have a word with your docs. I've been having palpitations and chest pain for a few months, and am in the process of being tested! Doc says it could be something easily fixed like anaemia or thyroid problems, as well as something like anxiety, so don't do what I did and panic that you're going to die of heart failure :p

ha, thanks kaff :p

its a bit better today, probably cos iv finished my nightshifts. quite scary though.
  • Options
    I have had these exact symptoms before to the point where i could feel my heartbeats which were very fast and felt sick. Whenever i take pro plus caffine tablets. I havent taken them since last year when i had 2 tablets and 2 red bulls and got really worried as i felt very ill. Im not used to ever having caffine as i hate coffee so i think it is very likely that the caffine is the cause of your symptoms. I havent had the symptoms since i stopped taking energy drink and tablets. If it continues without taking caffine visit a doctor.
  • Options
    i remember once i was feeling generally stressed out and i had a mochachino (that chocolate flavour coffee stuff) and it literally sent me into a panic attack! It was really scary to think that one shot of coffee can do that to me :/