Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Experience/knowledge of MS?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Does anybody on these boards have any experience/knowledge of MS?

G_A

Comments

• Options
    My uncle has MS - was there anything in particular you wanted to know about or just in general?
  • Options
    I guess I was/am curious about the symptoms and more specifically the early symptoms or first signs of the onset.

My GP seems to put everything down to depression/anxiety yet although I have suffered from depression previously I have never suffered from anxiety symptoms or any of the physical symptoms I have been experiencing.

I am intending to try and make an appointment to see a different GP this week but any imput of any knowledge of MS would still be appreciated.
  • Options
    You'd be amazed what anxiety can make your body do. It's always worth getting a second opinion but your GP might be right. I've passed out, had heart palpitations, chest pains, headaches, twitches, all sorts of things that seem like they're signs of something more sinister.
  • Options
    My initial symptoms started off with memory problems and coordination/lack of sensation in my hands and fingers. That was back in September, however while the problem with my hands seems to have improved (and my memory isn't as bad as it was) I'm now getting alot of twitching in my muscles particulary when I'm at rest. I also get what feels like a pulsating feeling in my legs and I have a tremor in my hands (which at the moment seems to come and go).
  • Options
    Are you on any medication? That may cause some of the symptoms you've mentioned.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Are you on any medication? That may cause some of the symptoms you've mentioned.

I'm currently on Mirtazapine, however when I experienced the initial symptoms of memory loss/loss of coordination/sensation in my hands and fingers, I wasn't taking anything.
  • Options
    As piccolo said anxiety can make your body do strange things. With my uncle his symptoms started very gradually and it was only after he got the conclusive diagnosis of MS that he was able to think back to 10 - 15 + years before and realise that symptoms he had then may have been signs of the MS.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the symptoms for MS are also the symptoms of hundreds of other things and that is one of the major issues facing doctors trying to diagnose MS.

If you haven't been to see the doctor yet for these symptoms I'm sure it would put your mind at rest to go and have a chat. I seem to remember my uncle having various blood tests to diagnose the MS - but I could be wrong on that.

In the meantime maybe keep a diary of when the various symptoms are appearing - is there a specific trigger which leads to them starting? Then you can discuss these with your doctor.

Just after my uncle was diagnosed I was convinced that I had the illness too and could see my symptoms paralleling his, but it turned out to be something entirely none related.

Hope this helps some...
  • Options
    betsy wrote: »
    As piccolo said anxiety can make your body do strange things. With my uncle his symptoms started very gradually and it was only after he got the conclusive diagnosis of MS that he was able to think back to 10 - 15 + years before and realise that symptoms he had then may have been signs of the MS.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the symptoms for MS are also the symptoms of hundreds of other things and that is one of the major issues facing doctors trying to diagnose MS.

If you haven't been to see the doctor yet for these symptoms I'm sure it would put your mind at rest to go and have a chat. I seem to remember my uncle having various blood tests to diagnose the MS - but I could be wrong on that.

In the meantime maybe keep a diary of when the various symptoms are appearing - is there a specific trigger which leads to them starting? Then you can discuss these with your doctor.

Just after my uncle was diagnosed I was convinced that I had the illness too and could see my symptoms paralleling his, but it turned out to be something entirely none related.

Hope this helps some...

Hey betsy, once again thank you for your reply.

I ended up in hospital for a couple of nights back in September when my initial symptoms started but due to my history of depression they just put my symptoms down to anxiety. My GP tends to do the same but as I said previously I've never really suffered from anxiety.

The loss of memory really scared me and now I have what feels like constant twitching muscles (although when I say constant what I mean is everytime I seem to be at rest). If I wasn't anxious before then I certainly am now.
  • Options
    Hey betsy, once again thank you for your reply.

I ended up in hospital for a couple of nights back in September when my initial symptoms started but due to my history of depression they just put my symptoms down to anxiety. My GP tends to do the same but as I said previously I've never really suffered from anxiety.

The loss of memory really scared me and now I have what feels like constant twitching muscles (although when I say constant what I mean is everytime I seem to be at rest). If I wasn't anxious before then I certainly am now.
    You're clearly very aware of your body and your symptoms, so you're right to push for a second opinion. I hope I didn't seem dismissive before, but most of these things (including loss of memory and twitching) happen to me when I get anxious (even if I don't otherwise 'feel' anxious, does that make sense?). Good luck.
  • Options
    Firstly, how old are you? If you're approaching 40, a degree of memory loss is more than normal. Equally, if you're younger than 25 you're very unlikely to have MS.

Muscle twitch is very common and as the poster above mentioned it can be brought on by a number of benign causes.

I may be wrong but yours sounds like a case of somatization which is "a tendency to experience and communicate somatic distress in response to psychosocial stress". The old phrase for it was psychosomatic. It doesn't infer that you are necessarily a trouble making hypochondriac but more realistically it means that once you have a minor symtom one goes and self diagnoses (on the internet most oftenly!) and then you go looking for more symptoms. This then makes you aware of all the little ticks and imperfections that are happening to you (and everyone else) all the time. This makes you more stressed and the cycle repeats by increasing thos normal ticks.

The only way to diagnose MS is via MRI scans which a GP won't agree to (because of cost) unless they STRONGLY suspect you have it. Or you are prepared to pay around £300-500 to have it done privately.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    You're clearly very aware of your body and your symptoms, so you're right to push for a second opinion. I hope I didn't seem dismissive before, but most of these things (including loss of memory and twitching) happen to me when I get anxious (even if I don't otherwise 'feel' anxious, does that make sense?). Good luck.

You didn't come across as dismissive at all; I appreciated your reply. At the end of the day I hope it is anxiety, for me there's a big difference in hearing from people with personal experience rather than a GP making assumptions without having sufficient evidence to base those assumptions on.