Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reading for a wedding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No, not mine!

My sister is getting married in August (hurrah, etc.) and she and her fiancé have asked me to do a reading at their wedding.

I could be from the Bible (as long as it's not too much about Jesus(!) or the bit from Corinthians about 'Love is...' or the bit in Ephesians about obeying your husband), but I get the impression they'd prefer something different.

So I thought I might choose a single verse from Scripture (because it's important to me) that links with whatever reading I choose from the world of secular literature.

I like The Little Prince, but his brother had that, so that's out. I have been promised the status of Favourite Sister-in-Law* if I find something appropriate from The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so you get the level we're working at...

Ideas of any form, even if they don't seem relevant, will interest me. I need inspiration!

*Yes, he does have others. Cheeky!

Comments

• Options
    i don't know about HGTTG but for general readings the confetti forums have a thread for readings. probably doesnt help you but i thought i would mention it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    At a friend's wedding, they had someone read an extract from winnie the pooh. I'm not sure which book it was from but it was a really lovely reading that was slightly different :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    I read the Corinthians "Love is..." at my friends wedding, and then my cousin had it at hers. It's a really lovely piece but I guess it is quite common so if you are going for unique maybe it's not the best!
  • Options
    I read the Corinthians "Love is..." at my friends wedding, and then my cousin had it at hers. It's a really lovely piece but I guess it is quite common so if you are going for unique maybe it's not the best!
    Also my sister and my mum both hate it. Partly, I think, because of the reader at the first wedding in Four Weddings and a Funeral...
  • Options
    At a friend's wedding, they had someone read an extract from winnie the pooh. I'm not sure which book it was from but it was a really lovely reading that was slightly different :)

I had the owl and the pussy cat at mine - plus a reading from Much Ado
  • Options
    If I ever get married, I want I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg read at my wedding - or maybe just written all over the walls at the reception! I find it a bit odd to know what reading you want before you've even met the guy, but I'm totally clear that this will be what my relationship will have to be like in order to marry someone, so it's a safe choice for me!!

http://ategato.tumblr.com/post/1178367035
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/planning/vows-readings/

Various readings and speeches, both religious and non religious
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If I ever get married, I want I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg read at my wedding
    That's rather lovely. I might get my mum to bring the giant children's poetry book we used to have up when she comes to see me, there could be something in there.