Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

He's older with two kids...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so, for there is something about him i find really caring and a while now i've known this guy and for the last few times i've seen him, i've really had strong feelings for him.
We met because of our mental health problems...i'm really attracted to him. Things moved on a little a few days ago when he came over out of the blue which was really nice. then we started to make out really pasionately.
The thing is he's older than me by 10 years and has two young children from his previous relationship. I personally don't mind the children and totally accept his situation but i was wondering- would he take me seriously if i told him i liked him and wanted more than a friendship? i just can't stop thinking of him...

Comments

• Options
    why wouldnt he?
  • Options
    Sounds like he likes you as he dropped by unexpected and you made out. Do you mean will he find you to young for him, or not mature enough or something?
  • Options
    why wouldnt he?

Cus he could easily find someone closer in age to him..maybe it was a one off-the kissing
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Sounds like he likes you as he dropped by unexpected and you made out. Do you mean will he find you to young for him, or not mature enough or something?

i think together we click really well. i just think he'll be put off by the age gap?
  • Options
    I wouldn't let that be an issue until it becomes one, if it does at all. My ex was 10 years older than me, my current man is 12 years older, and it's never been an issue at all.

I would look at the kids thing long term, though. If this does become something serious, you have to know and be prepared for the fact that the kids will become a part of your life too. My friend is in a long-term, serious relationship with a guy who has full custody of his three kids, and she often struggles with the fact that she may become a stepmother one day. She's grown to love his kids and look forward to it, but this is after many months of guiltily resenting the fact that they come as part of the package.

It may not be a problem at all, but might be something you want to get clear for yourself before you take it any further.
  • Options
    ^^ Yep. If it even bothers you that much why not just ask him outright
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    ^^ Yep. If it even bothers you that much why not just ask him outright

really? wouldn't i come accross as desperate?
  • Options
    really? wouldn't i come accross as desperate?

No, i wouldnt think so. Next time you see him, if things go the way they went before, if it were me, i'd say something like 'Doesnt may age bother you'. If he asks why then say you want to make sure before either of you get in any deeper and feelings get hurt. Perfectly reasonable thing to ask imo.
  • Options
    TBH If age was an issue to him then I'm not sure you would have been spending the time together in the way you do now.

You need to talk to him about it though. You will regret it if you don't.
  • Options
    10 years isnt that big an age gap unless youre 15 or 16 or something
  • Options
    10 years isnt that big an age gap unless youre 15 or 16 or something

i'm almost 20....
  • Options
    i dont think he will think thats weird at all, hell probably be worried youll think hes too old
  • Options
    really? i'm really suprised by the comments but in a good way :) he's coming over next week. should i text him a day as a possiblity? was hoping to see him monday evening...
  • Options
    My step mum was 17 when she got with my dad, and he was 29. I think, as long as you are over 16 and happy with the age gap (both of which you are), then there's no problem there :) Hope it turns out how you want it to :thumb:
  • Options
    Age gaps are never a problem unless you make it one. If you like each other go for it! :)
  • Options
    Hi there brunettebarbie,

You both clearly feel something for each other - he did come over which gives you some indication of him being interested. Age gap or not, if you can't really see it and it doesn't bother you, then there is no reason why this could not work out.

As Lexi99 said, why not bring it up next time you meet him and find out whether the age gap is a problem for him? This can also helps him find out that it isn't a problem for you and this could help ease the worry for both of you!

Hope it goes well :)