Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't Enjoy Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past month, I have felt like eating is a chore... I just don't enjoy food.

I have intentionally tried to up my calorie intake, as I was previously consuming 1200-1500 and I work out a lot (I try to train 4-5 days a week, but do some high intensity like kettlebells)...

I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat when I have no appetite (even if it's lunch time and I should be hungry), but it's like my stomach has shrunk... :no:

I have also felt down a bit and tired... People have commented on how quiet I have become, but I just don't really feel like doing a lot... I just want to sleep and be left alone. My job at the moment, I have so much work often I don't get breaks and our work loads are set to increase even more in the near future.

The only time I really enjoy a lot, is when I am in the gym, as I feel I can really focus on myself and feel good, but sometimes I am just too tired for the gym anyway (I suspect I have over-trained in the past).

I'm kinda overwhelmed I guess, so maybe a lot of this is stress related? Or maybe in undereating for months before, I am sapped of energy?

Either way, I'm just fed up...

Sorry to moan.

Comments

• Options
    If you don't feel like eating then don't, if you don't eat for long enough eventually you will be hungry enough to eat and will naturally enjoy the food.
  • Options
    You're vegan aren't you? I'm sure you know this, but make sure you take vitamins if you aren't eating much. I find it difficult to stay healthy as a vegan at the best of times! x
  • Options
    You're vegan aren't you? I'm sure you know this, but make sure you take vitamins if you aren't eating much. I find it difficult to stay healthy as a vegan at the best of times! x

I do take vitamins, as I'm very active and make sure I have a balanced diet as much as possible... But you're right. Especially when you're too busy to cook a meal, it's hard to grab something ready made as the few things you can have are usually trash!
  • Options
    Hey Namaste :wave:

If you are vegan that's actually really good advice to supplement your diet. If you're not feeling hungry but still training at a high intensity think of food more as fuel, you'll work outs will be better for it.

If it continues it can't do any harm to mention it to your gp,

dp :heart:
  • Options
    i dont know if this is even possible with veganism so sorry if this sounds dead stupid but is it possible to get meal replacement drinks suitable for vegans? when my friend went off her food in a similar way to you she was advised to drink meal replacement drinks to ensure she was still getting apropriate calories and energy with some nutrients in. Also if you are feeling lethargic it can be a sign you need iron and protein in your body so maybe look at ways you can adress this when you do feel like eating?
  • Options
    It could be stress, anxiety and/or depression. keep an eye on yourself
  • Options
    i dont know if this is even possible with veganism so sorry if this sounds dead stupid but is it possible to get meal replacement drinks suitable for vegans?

quick google search says yes you can: http://essentialoilworld.com/essentialoilreviews/power-meal-vegan-protein-drink-meal-replacement

Although, it'll probably be skanky. :lol:
  • Options
    dollypop wrote: »
    Hey Namaste :wave:

If you are vegan that's actually really good advice to supplement your diet. If you're not feeling hungry but still training at a high intensity think of food more as fuel, you'll work outs will be better for it.

If it continues it can't do any harm to mention it to your gp,

dp :heart:

I use protein shakes after a heavy work out (hemp based... yuck), but may look in to meal replacers. Thing is, I don't want to cut my calories down, as I often forget to eat or don't have time. At the same time, don't want to get deficient in vitamins.

Think it's time to register with a doctor.
    It could be stress, anxiety and/or depression. keep an eye on yourself
    Yeah this may be... I am so not looking forward to the work load increases in my office. Already, we work through our breaks a lot of the time and now I'll be doing half the job of the person above (ahhh the joys of the public sector lol!). I don't actually know how it's gonna be possible time wise and they are bringing something in, that if we can't keep up, we get put on a plan for personal development... If we still can't meet our targets, we may lose our jobs... :(
    Also if you are feeling lethargic it can be a sign you need iron and protein in your body so maybe look at ways you can adress this when you do feel like eating?
    Contrary to popular belief, it's pretty easy to get protein if you're vegan. Anaemia is more of a problem... I eat veg sources of iron, but maybe I should see if a supplement improves me (I don't have any other signs of anaemia, but it could be the beginning).
  • Options
    maybe its unrelated to the food?
  • Options
    I think maybe u are slighty depressed, and because u don't really enjoy food you have only just noticed you are not eating enough.
    Being down or low can make u quiet and have no desire to do anything and also u will lose appetite, and not eating enough can also has dire effects, i probs think this is work related.
    go to your g.p don't just put it off because u will become worse, and that means not sleeping not working out, your hair will become brittle ect not eating and being depressed has awful effects and it takes awhile for those effects to become apparent.
    Goodluck and big hugs x