Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need some help/advice.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, kinda need some advice.
Today (Tuesday) my BEST mate of all time stupidly, VERY stupidly overdosed today at break in school. We had science after and we didnt sit next to eachother, she walked in crying. me being unaware of what she had done got...a little worried you could say and then from no where she chucks this paper at me i read it and it says..'i need help, serious help. Ive done something. Ive overdosed.' i sat there in shock and then she got up with another close friend of hers and they went outside.
after our teacher had finished talking i told him 'sir i need to go outside with jas, its really ergent and if not i will just walk out. i cant tell you but i just need to go' i went and her friend went back in and i took her to this teacher we talked to alot cos we have a lot of stuff going on. things are a bit hazy from then on i was scared and kinda just froze, we took her to first aid and things went from there, first aider rang doctors etc.
after the checks had been done and she was okay physically, obv not mentally (not being harsh just dont know how to word it) we walked down to the courts and talked about alot of stuff. We talked about me and her and why she did wht she did etc. then went to class and it was hard for both of us to concentrate as we are really close and everything just seemed normal.
we met at lunch and spoke to the teacher we normally speak to and talked about it. everything in history, last lesson, it was all okay, i think she was laughing and seemed distracted a little but then again she is a good actress. Her mum cant be contacted atm, her dad knows because she told him.. her mum is part of the problem..
i really dont know what to do to help. i mean shes talking to me and everything. but i feel like its partly my fault. at break she wouldnt open up to me and i guess i got upset and slightly annoyed and walked off, then she did wht she did and i just cant believe that it was nothing to do with me. can anyone help? cos i just feel so useless. :( anyone?

Comments

• Options
    it sounds like more a cry for help and attention than anything else. If she had overdosed then why didn't your school send her to hospital to get checked? if it was not serious enough for her to go to hospital and she was ok enough to carry on lessons then i'd say it was more about drawing attention to her need for help - and MAYBE a little to make you feel guilty for walking off.

All you can really do is be supportive if she is having problems at home. Sometimes it can be frustrating when people won't open up and talk to you when there is so obviously something wrong - and especially if you are scared that that is how she will react again but all you can do is be patient, encouraging and supportive and say you will be there when they are ready to talk to you about what is troubling you. It may help you to read up on the articles on here about mental health to increase your knowledge on this and help you feel more prepared.

Just be careful that this doesn't get used as a way of manipulating you if you don't give her the attention that she wants.
  • Options
    what your friend did is NOT your fault. i find it hard to believe that you being a bit off with her would lead her to take an overdose, she must have been very upset about something else. if she's talking to you and knows that she can then you are doing all that you can do really. you could suggest that she sees the school counsellor, and maybe go with her?

i know it's really hard but you must not blame yourself for this.
    x
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    what your friend did is NOT your fault. i find it hard to believe that you being a bit off with her would lead her to take an overdose, she must have been very upset about something else.

but what if what i did just pushed her that little to far? i just feel so guilty. i just dont know how to help her. :/ im talking to her and all but it just seems like im just rambling on and getting nowhere.. like shes not really listening and yeah i could probably expect that after what happened but it was before aswell.. x
  • Options
    but what if what i did just pushed her that little to far? i just feel so guilty. i just dont know how to help her. :/ im talking to her and all but it just seems like im just rambling on and getting nowhere.. like shes not really listening and yeah i could probably expect that after what happened but it was before aswell.. x

the thing is that, even if that was the case and it was a reaction to you, she CHOSE to do it. you didn't make her or tell her to do it, she did it herself. no one caused what happened except her. and now it's done and over, and she's safe, and you feeling guilty about it will help no one.

the best thing you can do is keep doing what you are doing, honestly. but don't let what has happened make you feel bad about yourself, it was not your fault and when you have got over the shock you will see that.
  • Options
    I just cant lose her. i feel like she is falling from my grasp. she is like my sister. she says that she goes really over hyper when shes acting happy and now i cant see whether she was truely happy or just acting. :/ i just think about everything weve done together and i know this effects her, obv, really bad. but its like what about me? did i not care enough for her to even contimplate the feelings of mine. i know it sounds really harsh to think about it and everything but i cant help it. obv im thinking about her and all but its there in my head. im so scared of losing her.. :'(
  • Options
    Can I just ask, your friend took an overdose and the school decided NOT to send her to hospital?
  • Options
    I only took 5 ibuprofen. They did get medical advice from my GP who said i ought to be fine apart from feeling sick, fine physically anyway.