Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Telling the ex I've moved on....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend of 3 1/2 years and I broke up in August last year. It was my decision, he had to move out of our place, he took it really badly, and although we've worked hard to stay friends (and it's going ok), I know he still has very strong feelings for me and isn't over me at all. He's said he wants us to stay friends and that he'll work hard at not letting his feelings for me be a problem between us, but has also said that he can't predict how he'll react if he finds out I'm with someone else.

I've started seeing a new guy - we've been taking things really slowly and have only just started referring to each other between the two of us as 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend', although if we meet new people we don't use those terms. We've been seeing each other (I guess that's the term?) for about 2/3 months. Needless to say, the ex doesn't know.

This weekend a big group of my friends are going out to a comedy club for a mate's birthday, and as the new guy lives about an hour's drive away and we only get to see each other at weekends, he's coming along too.

Thing is, I know a couple of my ex's work mates will be there, and it'll undoubtedly get back to him that I've shown up with a guy. We're both naturally tactile people, so although we wouldn't be making a point of being all touchy-feely in front of everyone, it's more than likely that everyone will know he's not just a friend.

I'm really torn about this; my ex is strong, but I know finding out about the new guy will break his heart all over again. Should I tell him first or let the grapevine do the work rather than make it into a big deal? It has been 6 months, so it's not like I've jumped straight into someone's bed and I know I have every right to move on, but I care about him and I'm scared that this might jeapordise the friendship we've both worked so hard to maintain. How can I safeguard what we've managed to pull from the wreckage?

Comments

• Options
    You need to tell him yourself. It'll hurt more if he finds out from someone else.
  • Options
    I guess part of why I'm asking is that I think I'd personally rather a friend told me if I were in his situation - I wouldn't want a big heavy conversation, I'd rather him not see my reaction and for me to have some time on my own to get used to the idea..... but I can totally understand that others might not feel that way.
  • Options
    It'd be easier if a friend told him. But I think you should. Imagine if it was the other way round and a friend told you he was seeing someone - wouldn't you be a little bit disappointed/hurt he couldn't tell you himself and you had to hear it from someone else? Plus it could make things awkward next time you see him as he won't know whether to mention it. It will be hard, especially as he still has feelings for you. But it's best to be honest if you still want to be friends.
  • Options
    Ick. You're right, I know. It's just so scary thinking about having that conversation with him - it feels like breaking up with him all over again. I wouldn't know where/how to start or where to do it or how to leave things and I know I'm going to cry when I tell him! Any advice? Or is this just a 'just get it over with' situation?

I have a feeling if I say we need to meet up this week for a chat he'll know what I'm going to say....
  • Options
    text or facebook?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    text or facebook?

Eeesh - certainly easier for me, but I'm not really comfortable with that - I think if I'm going to tell him myself it has to be face to face. Thanks for the suggestion, though :)
  • Options
    If youre having trouble thinking of what to say you could always write it in a letter or something before you go. That way you get longer to think what to say and will be able to decide how to go about telling him without the pressure of him actually being there.

Elsie Xxx