Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cold callers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone got any tricks for shutting these fu#!ers up?

They are so annoying, i just had one trying to sell me life insurance for 30p a day, i said no a few times.... "Oh, is there any reason why".... Yeah, because i dont want to pay you 30p a day... I dont believe in insurance i think its a waste of money...

"oh, let me talk to my manager and see if we can offer you a better deal"...

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

How have you dealt with these annoying shitheads and also those guys in the street when you pass the gauntlet of charity guys.

Comments

• Options
    Either tell them if they don't stop calling you with call the police regards harassment, or just put the phone down.
  • Options
    Anyone who rings me promptly gets hung up on.

And those wankers in the street who seem to specifically target students with no money and proceed to make them feel guilty for not giving any to them... once such recent example is a well known human rights charity.... "Do you think is right they're being tortured?? Well DO YOU?!!" Me: "Ummm ummmm no but...." "Good that'll be a million pounds a day please"
    I've learnt to either take a completely different route to where they are or if one approaches you say 'I've already spoken to your mate back there thanks'

I've never had anyone try to sell me something at the front door but yea, a threat to call the police ought to shut them up
  • Options
    Yes game, no game, hang up or Telephone Preference Service. And normally a combination of all of them.

As for chuggers, I did smile at a recent conversation:

"Have you heard of Shelter?"
    "Yes, they sacked me for being disabled."
    "Oh. But would you consider donating to them?"
    "Not really."
  • Options
    I do not condone torture or any actions akin to it, but I donate a reasonable amount to charity as it is. If I tell them im in the armed forces they tend to leave me alone, which I dont understand as I have never tortured anyone in my life.
  • Options
    With the charity street harassment lot my preferred answer is 'I hate children/animals/whatever they are grabbing for' or if those aren't suitable 'I'm strongly in favour of torture/ethnic cleansing/whatever they're trying to prevent'.

Phone people, I've already got it, I'm registered with telephone preference service, I don't have doors/windows/live in a tent/am terminally ill depending on which they are trying to sell you.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Telephone preference service is your friend!
  • Options
    I spent years working for companies that just dialled through TPS... oop... don't hurt me, it was a job- a job's a job, right?
  • Options
    Just say "Sorry, I'm not interested" and then hang up.
  • Options
    Just say "Sorry, I'm not interested" and then hang up.

:yes: Hate people that try and get you to donate to charity on the street, know it's their job but seriously, no means no! Even the fact that I'd just been told I was at risk of redundancy therefore had no wish to donate to charity because I had no idea if I'd still have a job, or money, 3 months down the line was good enough.
  • Options
    I just ignore them all. If chuggers approach me on the street I just blank them completely. It annoys them and makes me feel better :P
  • Options
    Best way to deal with street hasslers is to look them square in the eye and shout 'OUT OF MY WAY, I HAVE AN ERECTION'.