Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

wedding gifts

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
if someone has asked for money, how much do you normally give?

i am invited to the day do and i know as a general rule, you are supposed to give as much as its cost them to invite you but i have no idea what the cost per head is for the meal!

i'm going to a friend's wedding in march. we used to be close mates but we aren't anymore...not really. we don't see each other much, talk much anymore!

would £50 be acceptable or am i being a bit cheap? her wedding is a week after i get back from my holiday so i'm going to be skint to be completely honest.

i'm worrying because she is one of those sort of people who if you give her too little, she'll moan!

me and my bloke gave £250 last year when his sister got married but that was his sister!

just wondering what people normally give...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think £50 would be fine. Thats what I would suggest, £40 or £50
  • Options
    Last wedding I went to I'm sure we gave £40 for two people.
  • Options
    Give as much as you can afford, if that's about £35 I'd say that was a good figure but if you really can't afford that give less.

Hand on heart, someone spending all that money to come to my wedding was enough for me.
  • Options
    cheers guys.

think i'm going to stick with £50. i can't really afford anymore because attending the day itself is going to cost a bit as we've got to travel quite a way and pay for a hotel for two nights. add on top drinking costs and outfit costs as well, lol!

attending weddings are expensive, lol!
  • Options
    £50 is definitely plenty. That's a significantly meaningful quantity of money, and fair given your circumstances and the other costs involved in you going.

The one that I'd see as taking the piss is giving less than you'd spend on drinks etc on a standard night out.
  • Options
    Depends on who it is and what the relationship is between you I think.

I'd say 50 is generous for someone you "used to be close" with. Especially if you're only in for part of the do.
  • Options
    Whatever you feel is good. So if you're comfortable with £50 then give that. Generally if it's a mate then they'll just be happy to have you there.

Like you said, with family you might want to give more or when you're older and you're more of an "elder" at the wedding for a niece/nephew, you might want to give more.

And seriously, if your friends moans about how much she didn't get from you, tell her to pi55 off. She should have just sent you a bill, not an invite.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I'd say 50 is generous for someone you "used to be close" with. Especially if you're only in for part of the do.

I'd definitely agree with that.

I just can't believe the cheek of people whingeing if they don't get enough money as a present- I think asking for money is distasteful enough as it is. I know when I married I was just glad people could make it, as it was a long way for a lot of people; we had a wedding list, but only to prevent people from buying us 20 bazillion towels and not a lot else (Debenhams screwed up the list though so we got 20 bazillion dinner plates and two bowls). A friend of ours specifically told us that our attendance at their wedding was enough of a present, given the £200 cost of the hotel and actually getting to the venue.
This discussion has been closed.