Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scared

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok now before anyone gives me grief because mothers have it worse, how many of those out there when expecting their first child;

1.) We are such proud parents before the birth
2.) Immensely looking forward to the birth
3.) Were also shit scared beyond belief.

I've coped in some pretty hair raising conditions thus far in my life and I'm also reading anything and everything I can find to do with pregnancy. Whilst I understand that most advice is aimed at the generic average baby, and that I feel that so far I'm prepared enough as I can be (not that you can ever be prepared enough), I'm also having this god awful feeling of panic beyond belief and shitting bricks, and I've still got till June to go.

Anytime I need or want to go to an appointment with the other half, work have let me cut away and go. I have time off for paternity leave and excess holiday that I can take, however I won't be there as much as your "average" new father could be, even if I do pop up every weekend.

It's begining to get to me even though due date is in June, it's a combination of am I going to be good enough, is baby going to love daddy as much as daddy already loves him/her, is looking after a child and the sleepless nights going to break me where exercise and combat hasn't (yet).

Etc etc I could go on for ever, I know the fact that its hard is going to make it all the more worth while, just meh :(

Comments

• Options
    Not only is it normal to be scared, I reckon it's a good sign. When people aren't at least a bit scared I wonder if they've really thought through the enormity of what they're about to do and how much their life will change. I still shit myself every minute of every day that some small, thoughtless action or inadequacy on my part will ruin this tiny life that I've created.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done, by absolutely miles. But it is also the best.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Not only is it normal to be scared, I reckon it's a good sign. When people aren't at least a bit scared I wonder if they've really thought through the enormity of what they're about to do and how much their life will change. I still shit myself every minute of every day that some small, thoughtless action or inadequacy on my part will ruin this tiny life that I've created.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done, by absolutely miles. But it is also the best.

*hug*
  • Options
    it sounds bizarre, but I'm glad that you're scared. If you're scared you a) understand the implications and b) really care about your partner and baby.

It is scary, it is absolutely terrifying. There's the birth to get through first; much as we all know how safe childbirth is these days, things do go wrong, will baby get through OK, will mother get through OK? I thought everything would be fine, and it was, but I always had the old literary cliche of mum dying in childbirth wedged somewhere in the back of my mind. Even if things are OK, will I be supportive enough in the birthing room, or will I be one of those people off One Born Every Minute that Mumsnetters cluck about?

If you haven't got it already, I'd really recommend that you go and buy the Haynes manual for babies. It is a wonderful book, it explains pregnancy, birthing and baby-raising in terms that us dads can understand; there's even diagrams on how to change a nappy or swaddle a baby. My mum bought it for me for Christmas and it was the best present I got last year thumb:
  • Options
    it sounds bizarre, but I'm glad that you're scared. If you're scared you a) understand the implications and b) really care about your partner and baby.

It is scary, it is absolutely terrifying. There's the birth to get through first; much as we all know how safe childbirth is these days, things do go wrong, will baby get through OK, will mother get through OK? I thought everything would be fine, and it was, but I always had the old literary cliche of mum dying in childbirth wedged somewhere in the back of my mind. Even if things are OK, will I be supportive enough in the birthing room, or will I be one of those people off One Born Every Minute that Mumsnetters cluck about?

If you haven't got it already, I'd really recommend that you go and buy the Haynes manual for babies. It is a wonderful book, it explains pregnancy, birthing and baby-raising in terms that us dads can understand; there's even diagrams on how to change a nappy or swaddle a baby. My mum bought it for me for Christmas and it was the best present I got last year thumb:

I'm looking on amazon as we speak!
  • Options
    awww, it sounds like youre going to be a really lovely daddy!! <3
  • Options
    awww, it sounds like youre going to be a really lovely daddy!! <3

I certainly hope I will be.
  • Options
    Congratulations!

In my time working in childcare, I've seen all sorts of parents. Some are intensely paranoid and micromanaging, some just ditch the kids and run, some are grandparents, single mums, single dads, some look ready to throttle their kids, or cry, or both. Some work full time, or some not at all, and some don't get to see their kids very often.

I think at one time or another every parent will be most of the above, but I'll tell you one thing. None of the above matters. The kids that are happiest belong to the parents that don't just go through the motions, but are those that really see these little people for the unique beings they are.

Kids won't remember the time that time that Daddy forgot to bring the special blanket with them on holiday, or the time Mummy shouted because they were so badly behaved, but they sure as hell will remember the bedtime stories Daddy used to tell, how Mummy made teddy do a dance. Those little memories that are only made when a parent doesn't just love their child, but is in love, and look, well, a lot like Kaff. I know, because I hear about it every day from the horses mouth. You have nothing to worry about G. You're going to be fine
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Congratulations!

In my time working in childcare, I've seen all sorts of parents. Some are intensely paranoid and micromanaging, some just ditch the kids and run, some are grandparents, single mums, single dads, some look ready to throttle their kids, or cry, or both. Some work full time, or some not at all, and some don't get to see their kids very often.

I think at one time or another every parent will be most of the above, but I'll tell you one thing. None of the above matters. The kids that are happiest belong to the parents that don't just go through the motions, but are those that really see these little people for the unique beings they are.

Kids won't remember the time that time that Daddy forgot to bring the special blanket with them on holiday, or the time Mummy shouted because they were so badly behaved, but they sure as hell will remember the bedtime stories Daddy used to tell, how Mummy made teddy do a dance. Those little memories that are only made when a parent doesn't just love their child, but is in love, and look, well, a lot like Kaff. I know, because I hear about it every day from the horses mouth. You have nothing to worry about G. You're going to be fine
    *hug*
  • Options

^^^ This.

What you feel G, is a perfectly normal healthy response. Becoming a parent is terrifying because you know that someone else is going to be completely dependant on you for the next few years. That feeling doesn't change after the first child either, you just feel a little more prepared for each subsequent birth.

As I said in the other thread, people have been raising children for a millenia. Every parent has made mistakes, you will be no different. But they key is too house them, feed them and not abuse them. Do that and you have made a great start.

There will be times when you would cheerfully strangle the little bastard but those are far outweighed by the good things.

Trust me, the first cuddle you have will make the world a better place for you, for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, tis good to be scared. But it's a good scared :thumb:
  • Options
    I guess a lot of it for me is feeling massively guilty. No matter how much my other half tells me she wont feel any bad feelings towards me, unless I get posted further up north, then im not going to see my young one unless its leave periods or at weekends.

I'm looking at buying a house up north, and we all going to live as a family (when im there). The worry I have is that kid will grow up and remember that dad was hardly ever there. At the moment and in the current financial climate, until I have done some courses and other bits and bobs in my own time, I dont think I could get any job approaching what I earn now.

Its all the kid related scared of being a parent things, and the having to deal with being the bigger person and putting my emotional pain behind me and earning money for the family.

I'm sure it will all get much harder when said kid arrives, but easier in the sense that I can actually attempt to deal with a situation rather than hypotheticals.
  • Options
    Ah, guilt. I recognise that emotion only too well.

Do I spend enough time with them, do I read enough stories, am I too hard on them when they do wrong, am I too soft on them when they do wrong... etc etc etc

You do what you can to make their lives as comfortable as possible, to provide for them. Sometimes that means less time at home than you would want.

You will always question yourself and your actions.
  • Options
    At least I know I'm not just imagining it all in this crazy head of mine.
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't say that :p
  • Options
    The Mrs has also said something that I find myself inclined to agree with. If all and sundry of family and friends are always coming over to see the child, if one of use decides that we (I or her) want to hold the child to bond, I'm well within my rights to tell them to fuck off or be as rude as I want to be. Considering that I only get two weeks paternity and whatever excess leave I have.
  • Options
    very few people will want to take your baby out of your hands. This means you'll be bloody grateful when they do ;)
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    The worry I have is that kid will grow up and remember that dad was hardly ever there.

I think this depends a lot on how you/your lady deal with it. If your baby grows up seeing his/her mum coping fine, and telling them stories about how daddy's working really hard for the both of them, and maybe what he does at work, and then when you do see them you're excited to spend time with them, it'll be ok.

It's not quite the same thing, but when Mr K was young his dad worked long shifts 6 days a week, so he barely saw him, but he doesn't look back and feel abandoned, he feels grateful to have a dad that cared, and that worked really hard to put money on the table for his family, and when he did see him it was more special cause it wasn't all the time.

I think you'll do just fine.
  • Options
    You are all saying such nice things :heart:
  • Options
    Because we've been/are there and we know how hard it is to balance all the things in life and all the pressures that being a parent brings.

We all have faith in you because we have sat here and read the advice you have given and this thread is proof of how much it matters to you to be a good Dad.

Remember any bloke can be a "Father" but it's harder (and more fulfilling) to be a "Dad". You'll do just fine.
  • Options
    The Mrs has also said something that I find myself inclined to agree with. If all and sundry of family and friends are always coming over to see the child, if one of use decides that we (I or her) want to hold the child to bond, I'm well within my rights to tell them to fuck off or be as rude as I want to be. Considering that I only get two weeks paternity and whatever excess leave I have.

quite right, although im sure there wont be any need to be rude. Just say that youre enjoying holding baby yourself and dont get a lot of chance. Most people would be fine with that
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Because we've been/are there and we know how hard it is to balance all the things in life and all the pressures that being a parent brings.

:yes:

I know how you feel, because I felt like that, not too long ago at all, and I know how much it helped when people had a lot more faith in me than I had in myself.

You're a decent guy, and you obviously care. That's all the basics you need to be a good dad.
  • Options
    20 week scan on Tuesday afternoon :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
    My dad was away a lot when I was younger, in the navy. I missed him lots and lots (I don't think he ever knew how much). However, when he came home, he was never too tired, or too busy or too anything to do stuff with me, and I think that made my relationship with him a hell of a lot stronger. When he was home, I always had a proper daddy, and I'll always love him for that.

Good luck in your scan on Tuesday.

You'll be a wonderful dad :heart:
  • Options
    My advise seeing from others mistakes is, it does not matter if you are away or absent what matters is when u are with your new baby, toddler, 5 year old, ect, is when you are home shower your child with love and thats means take them to the park teach them to ride their bike and most of all is listen when they want to talk to you , don't just come home and lavish the child with gifts because u have been away, a child in the long run will end up spoilt, all a child wants is love and attention.
    GOODLUCK X
  • Options
    20 week scan on Tuesday afternoon :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

excellent.
    are you going to try and find out the sex?
  • Options
    Yes we are :)