Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Deep and Meaningful but not face to face

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What it says on the tin really.

Am I the only one with an excuse for a relationship that only seems to manage deep and meaningful conversations not face to face? We're fine on text, or email, but in person the meaningful stuff never really comes up.

Just me? Or common?

Comments

• Options
    Yep i've been there and found that once you get into that pattern its hard to come out of your shell when you're together.

If it were me i would start off by making cutesy little comments like pet names or saying 'i love you', or if you're not there yet, something of that ilk. See if you can get him to open up more, even if you just ask little things when you're together like 'how are you', etc. If you want to say something romantic or meaningful, the kind of thing you would say over text, say it in person next time you see him. Also, when something important comes up you need to talk about, wait until you are together to say it, not over text.
  • Options
    I've always found it more difficult to be open on a face to face basis, or even over the phone. I mean, I can say 'I love you' and stuff, but anything more descriptive than that I find massively difficult. It's not through lack of wanting to, but because I'm scared. It's the same with sex and stuff - I can be really open about talking about it in text-based mediums, but in actual conversation? Nuh uh.

Doesn't mean I don't feel any of the things I say over text, it just means I'm not confident enough in myself to say it out loud.
  • Options
    It's pretty much exactly what Franki says.

We've got a great one going at the moment. Which is deep and meaningful that almost happened but didn't when we were together, that then takes place by text late into the night after I get home.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I've always found it more difficult to be open on a face to face basis, or even over the phone. I mean, I can say 'I love you' and stuff, but anything more descriptive than that I find massively difficult. It's not through lack of wanting to, but because I'm scared. It's the same with sex and stuff - I can be really open about talking about it in text-based mediums, but in actual conversation? Nuh uh.

Doesn't mean I don't feel any of the things I say over text, it just means I'm not confident enough in myself to say it out loud.

I know what you mean, I've been in the exact same position, just being too shy and scared to say stuff face to face. Especially when we havent been able to see much of each other and its mostly based on text messages.

Have you told him how you feel? Maybe if he knows then you can both work on it together
  • Options
    I am pretty open with feelings, desires etc, and am know to be quite open and direct. I like it best that way, but some have a problem with it. The girls that like me most, dig that and are usually similar to this too. I prefer it that way.

So, no.
  • Options
    Any difficult conversation with anyone is easier by text, it's just a fact.....some people just lack the confidence and are so bad at expressing face to face what they feel inside (I know I am, in fact i struggle even by text!)

In fact the idea that you struggle with it too and still managed to form a relationship has cheered me up!

What do you mean by deep and meaningful? Do you mean purely relationship stuff or is it just a struggle to talk about anything serious at all?

Lexis advice is good, start slow, and instead of having the text conversation say you'll talk to him when you next see him and see what happens.

Guess it also depends on the type/length of relationship it is. If you are still getting to know each other opening up is difficult, if you've been together for years and plan to marry him it might be a problem...
  • Options
    It's years rather than a new not been together long thing.

We can talk about serious stuff that's not personal to either of us, that's no problem. It's when it gets personal things start to come unstuck. If we're not the only pair like it then I'm not so bothered, it's definitely workable on and will get there eventually I guess.
  • Options
    Deep and meaningful like discussing the nature of reality? that we are all living in some sort of holographic internet, stuff like that?

I find it no problem either face-to-face or by text, although for me it's usually been face-to-face, late and night and in a state far removed from sobriety.
  • Options
    Deep and meaningful, like the I love you conversation, the how do we see this relationship kind of thing.

Nature of reality, no problem face to face.
  • Options
    Deep and meaningful, like the I love you conversation, the how do we see this relationship kind of thing.

Nature of reality, no problem face to face.

Have you never had a few too many and had a deep and meaningful?
  • Options
    Thats different than having a genuine deep and meaingful though.
  • Options
    We've never had a few too many together!
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Thats different than having a genuine deep and meaingful though.

No but it might be a start. I am talking about having a few tongue looseners, not getting so hammered you can't remember what was said..... ;)
  • Options
    I can do happy deep and meaningful, but really struggle to talk openly face to face when we've had an argument or whatever, which I think is probably in a similar vein! When I'm upset about something he has to prise it out of me, but if he's at work or whatever I'm fine with texting or emailing what's bothering me.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty common, possibly a personal thing rather than necessarily a relationship thing, and not really a fatal flaw :)
  • Options
    at least you are communicating i guess, whatever technique you use. :)
  • Options
    Hi Scary Monster,

It is very common to feel more safe conversing meaningful things through texting and emailing. To open up and talk about things that matter involves vulnerability, and face to face can make it harder.

Communication is very important, and even though it seems you have no problem talking, the situation in which you talk doesn't seem to always be what you would like.

Perhaps we would not encourage them to get "wasted" in order to talk ;) however it is a good idea to pick a time where you are both relaxed in order to feel more comfortable talking and opening up?

After having that first dreaded meaningful face to face conversation, it can only get easier. The more you make the effort to do this, and both your responses make each other comfortable, the easier it will get!

Good luck :)