Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

valium/anxiety meds

i am off to my doctors tomorrow to ask about my jabs for my holiday next month. whilst i am there, i am going to ask about getting some anxiety pills of some sort.

i have a ridiculous fear of flying and next month, i am somehow going to have to get through a 13 hour flight TWICE. i hate flying so so much and everytime i'm on a plane, i am convinced its going to crash and i am going to die. when the plane takes off, my hands are firmly grippping the seat handle bar thingies, i have my eyes shut and i'm having to breathe in and out to control my nerves. sounds really silly i know but i never went travelling much as a kid so when i do get on a plane, it just doesn't feel normal and i hate it. i hate how noisy the plane is and how bumpy a flight actually is. the last time i went on a plane was in may. it was a 6/7 hour flight and i had a full blown panic attack on the way home when we hit really bad turbulance. i was in tears but luckily i had two of my best friends with me who although took the piss, got me through it!!!! it was a terrible journey due to bad winds and i'm just terrified i'm going to have to go through it again. although i'm looking forward to my holiday, the thought of the flight makes me feel sick :(

one of my friends has reccomended asking my dr for some valium or another sort of anxiety med? does anyone have any experience doing this? i just need something to keep me calm, keep my heart rate down and stuff.

my journey there is a night flight so i'd like a med that could knock me out for a good few hours ideally lol :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would definitely be worth talking to your GP about the problems you had last time. I'd be slightly wary of specifically asking for valium because they might just think you want it for the kicks and are coming up with an excuse. That said you'd only be asking for a small amount and if you're getting the travel jabs too then the context is pretty clear so it might be alright.

Depends if your GP is the kind who gets in a huff when you tell them what you want, rather than telling them the scenario and letting them decide.

Definitely raise the subject though, you'll only kick yourself otherwise when you're on the flight that you didn't at least ask.
  • Options
    ahhhhh yeah, you've probably got a point. i've got a new doctor so i won't specifically ask for it as i don't know how they'll take it! i'm not necessarily wanting valium anyway, just something that works!!!! i'm definately going to ask about getting something as i'm terrified :(
  • Options
    definitely bring it up, i was given something to take and it helped a lot. cant remember the type of pill but you will probably get something similar. also took the herbal remedy stuff you put on your tongue. who are you going with? let them know that you're panicky beforehand so they dont take the piss. also take lots of distractions like ipod etc or a crapload of magazines like i did. are there any in flight films do you reckon?
  • Options
    i think if you just ask for it as a one off for a specific thing such as this rather than asking for it for an actual anxiety problem long term, then they wouldnt think it was dodgy you asking.
  • Options
    I would imagine it's a fairly common request, and I'd be surprised if they can't sort you out with something.

I've been prescribed short courses of both diazepam and beta blockers in the past to deal with one-off freak-out events, and the doctor wasn't funny about it either time (2 different docs). I didn't go in and ask outright for drugs, I just explained what the deal was and asked if they could give me anything to help, and they did.
  • Options
    I would ask for the sweeties I want, but then I engage in drug seeking behaviour! LOL
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I didn't go in and ask outright for drugs, I just explained what the deal was and asked if they could give me anything to help, and they did.

That's the kind of thing I meant.

Rather than I want valium please - and then saying why.
  • Options
    Just asking for stuff works too though...
  • Options
    im the same and i went to the docs last year before i went to new zealand, a 29 hour flight! he gave me diazepam, buttt i cant say whether it worked or not as i never took it. it helped me knowing i just had it there in case i got reeeally panicky, i knew that i could just take it and it might help. but i managed without, :)
  • Options
    YOu didn't take it????Q!?!?!? NOt even just for shits and giggles? But, but, but, it was free?

I'm confused!
  • Options
    haha well...somebody i knew from work told me they took anxiety stuff on a plane once and instead of helping them it just made them feel reeeally sleepy, so they wanted to sleep but they were still shit scared so they couldnt, and that it was horrible! so it kinda put me off! iv still got them they're in the cupboard at the side of me :D
  • Options
    Well, if you're not going to use them.... share the wealth!
  • Options
    was given lots of diazepam :)
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    If you need to share them with anyone...
  • Options
    was given lots of diazepam :)

:thumb: Well done for going. Take care and have a fab holiday! :)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If you need to share them with anyone...

lol. you are making them sound like some sort of cool drug?

don't they just make you sleepy and calm-ish? you are making me nervous about taking them lol
  • Options
    yeah they just make you feel calmer. Some people do abuse them but thats normally with a high dose or taking lots.
    Just taking your prescribed amount for a specific event will be absolutely fine
  • Options
    lol. you are making them sound like some sort of cool drug?

don't they just make you sleepy and calm-ish? you are making me nervous about taking them lol

well, nicer than alcohol, dunno about cool. And, what suzy said...