Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

health check ups, pee and noo period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have finally got round to re-registering back at the gp after finishing uni and my health screen checkup thing is next tuesday. i got given one of those tubes to pee into it, im really curious about what they check for?? wasn't expecting to have to provide a pee sample.

also i want to mention at my health screening that i haven't had a period since october (this is the reason that motivated me to finally reregister). my periods have always been on time so i'm a little worried. there is pretty much zilcho chance i am pregnant but it would still be rather nice to rule it out. would they let me do a test as soon as i ask or can that be done from the urine sample? no idea where my awol period is :grump:

Comments

• Options
    I think they test for urine for protein and other stuff - which might show you have some sort of (liver?) disease but i'm not too sure here is some not too enlightening NHS info

If your worried about being pregnant then i would buy a test and do it yourself - at my old GP they would make you do another pee in a different pot and then take it yourself to the hospital for testing and make you wait a week for an official NHS confirmation - which is beyond annoying (especially when your bleeding an you want to get a refferal to the early pregnancy unit and they won't send you till your official test comes back) - but i've been told that they were just unusually weird about the whole thing and there is a possibility that another gp might have pregnancy tests in stock - but i wouldn't count on it.
  • Options
    I don't know how old you are Clementine, but my local Clinic does free pregnancy tests for under 25's.. so, if you're under 25, might be worth checking out yours? You get the results there and then as well, they just dip the stick in your pee and tell you what it says :)
  • Options
    thanks guys, im not too worried that i may be pregnant. the dates wouldn't match up at all because i broke up with my ex in august and have had a period since then. just not from october. i've been thinking and maybe it's because i stopped the pill back in august.. but again that wouldnt account for me having a period in august and september. hmm. doh. quite concerned and paranoid now about what it could beeeeeee. will see what they reckon on tuesday if i can fit it in. cant be bothered to make anooother appointment just to ask.
  • Options
    If you've still not had a period by next month, and the doctors have given you no other reason why you haven't had one, defo get a pregnancy test then. (you can get cheapo ones in boots)
  • Options
    Its fairly standard when you are having a check up.
  • Options
    If you've still not had a period by next month, and the doctors have given you no other reason why you haven't had one, defo get a pregnancy test then. (you can get cheapo ones in boots)

thanks i shalllll :)
  • Options
    (you can get cheapo ones in boots)

Cheaper in Poundland!

The routine pee tests are normally just dipstick tests - they can pick up stuff like sugar or protein in your pee that can point to diabetes or infections or what have you :)
  • Options
    went to dr,

my pee pee is okay! had the usual weigh in and blood pressure. apparently i am underweight, my bmi is 18.9 and it should be in it's 20's.
    i told her about my period being a no go and she told me to buy a pregnancy test because the nhs dont offer them for free anymore apparently.. then if it's negative i need to make another appointment. did it today and it's negative which is nice! will make another appointment if my period hasn't happened by the end of the month.

the doc did say that being underweight can stop it but im not underweight by very much at all. huff

oh well. thanks for the replies :)
  • Options
    i signed up my local doctors a month or two ago and i had to do the same thing. had a pee sample taken, my blood pressure checked, weight checked, was asked questions about family history, etc. i think its normal :)

when i had my weight checked, i was told i was underweight because my bmi was 18.6. really annoyed me! i asked her why i was underweight because on the nhs website you aren't underweight until your bmi is under 18.5 but she told me it is actually 20. pfft! they need to make up their minds!!!!!

i'd take what you've been told into consideration but to be honest, i don't always think that a bmi score is really an indication of how healthy you are. have you lost weight recently? if so, it could be the reason for your periods being a bit all over the place. however, if you are eating normally (and enough) i wouldn't worry about it and i'd go back again if your period doesn't make an appearance soon.
  • Options
    yeah same! i've checked my bmi out of curiosity and been told it's fine on the nhs website. i have lost weight recently through work, i'm always on my feet and dont eat a lot on my break. but when i come home i pig out. definitely going to make another appointment at the end of the month. just weird because my period has always been on time.
  • Options
    have you been stressed at your new work? stress and weight loss can definately cause your periods to play up.
  • Options
    not really stressed, just very busy. i am stressed right now so no period for another 3 months i guess :p dammit. it's nice not to have the hassle but it's also nice to see it every month and know everything is okay down there.