Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cut my wrist in front of my psychiatrist and he did nothing. The cut keeps bleeding. don't know what to do. I'm a bit drunk.

Comments

• Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    I cut my wrist in front of my psychiatrist and he did nothing. The cut keeps bleeding. don't know what to do. I'm a bit drunk.
    Start looking for a new psychiatrist, is that possible?
  • Options

I agree with TE, if they didn't react ask them why and if you feel uncomfortable with them, find someone else if possible
  • Options

in theory this is an entitlement but in reality not always possible or easy in a hurry. but i think nutter meant what should she do more immediately?

wash the cut clean and cover it up, preferably with a bandage if you have one but if not use a clean sock or piece of fabric or whatever you have. if there is a lot of blood soak it up first with tissues or a sanitary towel. if you've got any antiseptic then put some on to keep it safe. if it bleeds through or if you think you've hit a vein then phone nhs direct. when you go to bed keep your arm higher up than your heart. if it's still bleeding in the morning then PLEASE phone nhs direct and let them help you.

try not to drink any more. have some water and put yourself to bed. then think about what you want to do about your psychiatrist. are you an outpatient now? how often are you having appointments? when you cut infront of your psychiatrist were you trying to show them how desperate you are?

please please take care over the weekend. remember you always have emergency numbers you can call if you need to.
    :heart:
  • Options
    The immediate advice is pretty much what omg hi said: keep the wound clean, apply pressure to stem the bleeding and drink plenty of water (for the bleeding as much as the alcohol consumption).

That's probably enough to be getting on with for one night. YOu can think about why you did it, what your intentions were in cutting and your relationship with the therapist later. Sleep now.
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies.
    I will wrap up my wrist today.
    I guess I am surprised that he didn't get a bandage or ask someone to stay with me for a bit, he just said something about referring me to someone who deals with this stuff and then seemed to want to get rid of me. I got the hint and swiftly left. I wandered around with a bloody tissue and then went to a pub.
    I'm confused because I'm not sure how I feel. I like the new meds, but don't think I am quite on a normal level yet. I liked going to see him but now I think, what's the point?
    I am an outpatient. I was recently seeing him every two weeks but now he says to go back to every month... doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    it's sad but that doesn't really surprise me, i've seen a string of unsympathetic psychiatrists. remember that they are medics not therapists and they can seem impersonal and distant. often they don't have a great grounding in psychology. that's not an excuse at all, but a lot of psychiatrists are quite clinical in the way they work and let others take care of the emotional side of things. the last one i saw had six minute appointments and you couldn't stay a second over. i'm not saying that it's right at all, but it's definitely not uncommon to think that your psychiatrist doesn't give a shit. but at least he is going to refer you, maybe that person will be better for you? try to keep going to see him until then, i know it's really hard when you've had a bad appointment and you don't want to go again, but it's important to keep regular contact and show them that you are committed to your treatment. and keep going with your new meds as well, even if they are not making a huge difference if you see any change at all then it is worth it. hang in there x
  • Options
    I don't really have much useful advice, but I just wanted to say *hug* x
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    it's sad but that doesn't really surprise me, i've seen a string of unsympathetic psychiatrists. remember that they are medics not therapists and they can seem impersonal and distant. often they don't have a great grounding in psychology. that's not an excuse at all, but a lot of psychiatrists are quite clinical in the way they work and let others take care of the emotional side of things. the last one i saw had six minute appointments and you couldn't stay a second over. i'm not saying that it's right at all, but it's definitely not uncommon to think that your psychiatrist doesn't give a shit. but at least he is going to refer you, maybe that person will be better for you? try to keep going to see him until then, i know it's really hard when you've had a bad appointment and you don't want to go again, but it's important to keep regular contact and show them that you are committed to your treatment. and keep going with your new meds as well, even if they are not making a huge difference if you see any change at all then it is worth it. hang in there x

this. I didnt find my psychiatrist much help at all. But when he eventually referred to to a psychotherapist i found this really useful. You just need to keep fighting and hanging on and hopefully you will get the help u need soon.
  • Options
    what sort of response did you want from your Psychiatrist?

seems like you are quite desperate for support right now.