Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bit of help wanted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Hi,

Normally when things are said I react with self harming, and I'm at that dilemma now - although I know what was said was not meant in the way it came across, my partner just didn't realise what he was saying was going to get to me as much. I just need some better coping ideas so that I don't resort back to what I know as comfort and will 'help' for a while. I don't want to upset my partner but I have a feeling I may need to open up and tell him what he said actually is killing me inside!

x

Comments

• Options
    Hey NewLook,

Welcome to TheSite.org, I am glad you are looking for help with this issue *hug* Your taking the first big step so weldone!

If you want coping strategies their our many on here, type in coping with self harm in the search box on the top right hand corner. Could you write a letter to your boy friend explaining that his comment had affected you extremerly?

Take Care and keep posting :)
    *hug*

Violet
  • Options
    Hi newlook :wave:

As Violet mentioned we have some useful info here on TheSite about coping tips and distractions: http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/copingtipsanddistractions

And also this one on dealing with urges: http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/dealingwithurges

It sounds like your partner is unaware of just how much this is getting to you :( opening up to him, as you're considering, could really help. Often certain comments stick in our minds, for whatever reason, and they can be hard to shake off. A bit of reassurance from your partner and being able to confide in him may be just what you need.

How do you think he might react? Is there anyone else close to you that you might be able to confide in?

Take care and let us know how you're getting on *hug*