Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windscreen washer water not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, My windscreen washer water jets are not spraying water no more?

Does anyone know of solutions i can try, i tried sticking a pin in the hole the water comes out, thats as far as ive got :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    You should try checking the pipe that leads to it from the washer reservoir, sometimes it can get kinked or even come off at one end.. Can you here the motor trying to spray the water? If not then the fuse could have blown as you should be able to hear it trying.. Good luck
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Put some anti-freeze in the screen wash bit?
  • Options
    Just been through all this with my car,

First time was there was gunk in a filter from where I let it ran dry, water wasn't getting through. to double check it wasn't my washers frozen, i unhooked the pipe at one of the connections and tried it, no water = pump problem.

Garage sorted it,

Second time recently, my pump burnt out, when i tried no noise from the washer,

either way only cost £30 to repair.

Best thing is to do

1- check that the pump is making a noise, if not, burnt out
    2- check the water is flowing through the pipes
    3 - if not water flowing through the pipes, take to garage, maybe 20/30 for them to sort.
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses i really appreciate it.

Yes the motor is still making a noise

Originally i thought the water was frozen ( i had got screenwash with a dash of anti freeze in there) because the front and back stopped working, backs working fine again but the front hasnt been working since the weekend before last so it cant be frozen as it would of surely thawed...

I will try pulling the pipe off one end to see if the water is coming out?

Thanks...
  • Options
    It would only have thawed if the temperature around your way has got up above freezing.

The obvious explanations, especially at this time of year are:

1. Something has frozen, if the back one is onto a heated windscreen then sometimes that keeps the nozzle warmer so is less prone to freezing than the front one. If this is the case then you're a fool for not putting enough anti freeze in. There are instructions on the packet as to how much, remembering in lots of areas its getting down to -10 at night.

2. Something is gunked up. Hosing the system through can help with this, see if you can push some flow through.

3. Pumps burnt out or fuse has gone. Probably less likely if the back is working as generally driven off the same pump. Really good ways to burn your pump out or blow the fuse are to keep trying the washer when it's not working. If it doesn't work the first time, don't try again on that journey, or at least a fair while into that journey.
  • Options
    How do i "hose the system through"?

Thanks for you answer, i did put some anti freeze in along with screenwash, maybe not enough, i thought screenwash has a bit of anti freeze in anyway?

Ive only been driving a fortnight :confused:
  • Options
    You guys are lucky you have motors for yours. I have to pump the little button on the dash by hand to get any to come through... and its been about 3 months since thats been done and no luck so far.
  • Options
    Do the what now?
  • Options
    Some people use a mix of water and white vinegar to clear the washer tubes, but that does rather assume that the pump is working to push the vingar solution into them in the first place.
  • Options
    Screen wash has some antifreeze in, but not much. Generally in the winter you need to be using special winter screen wash. Or the usual stuff made up stronger.

For reference, buying the ready to pour straight in stuff is a total waste of money. Buy concentrate and dilute it down as per the instructions, or less water than the instructions say in winter.

By hose it through, I mean stick the hose pipe on one end of the washer hose and watch water come through the other end.
  • Options
    have no idea how to un attach the hose?

I have a renault clio 2002 if anyone knows?

the hose connects thropugh the bonnet to the spray nozzle on the top of the bonnet, but in hte other dirextion the hose looks like it goes around the back of the water unit and i will have trouble getting at that, ive not laid under the bonnet to see what i can see from there as im still at work.

I may end up running it in?

Thanks

Tor

:thumb:
  • Options
    How odd, after it stopped working for two weeks, yesterday they began to work again???

Happy days