Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wireless speakers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to buy some speakers for my laptop. Mainly for music (Spotify etc) and the occasional film.

Ideally I'd prefer wireless - I often have my laptop on my bed so don't really want to faff about with wires. Although I'd want one which plugs into the mains if you see what I mean...i.e. not just battery operated.

Is the quality of sound much worse with wireless speakers? And can anyone recommend any? I'm willing to spend up to £100, maybe more. Although the ones I've looked at (Creative, Logitech) seem quite cheap which puts me off slightly!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    I didn't know that wireless speakers existed, but I can say something about wireless headphones - battery powered ones are crap. So I would say likewise for speakers and go for a set that plugs into the mains. However, I am quoting from personal experience from the mid-90s, so technology will likely to have moved on.
  • Options
    They exist, but they don't exist in great numbers because most, specifically surround sound ones, are powered by their subwoofer, so no wireless there just wouldn't be smart. You'd have just the same amount of wires to power them.

But for small laptop use, get some small USB powered ones? If it's on your laptop, surely you will take the laptop with you most of the time? About sound quality, shouldn't be affected, it uses radio waves.

I could have recommended a pair for USB powered, slim, good sound quality which fitted into themselves and made smaller storage space through magnets, but play don't seem to sell them anymore.
  • Options
    I have a Samsung speaker which works over USB, Line in, optical in and also Bluetooth - and was £40

no idea what the model number is though .. but search the samsung website