Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not everyone will like you

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what jeopardized the longetivity of my jobs is the great need to be friends with everyone. If I'm short just one person, I go crazy (mental.) I just coiuldn't seem to accept that not everyone will like me and idk how everyone else accepted that not everyone will like them. For instance, back at Wal-Mart, a coworker didn't wanna be friends ne more. I begged and peladed until I got upset w/ another coworker. Then I banged my head against the fitting room pole and got canned for workplace violence.

Then at McD's, someone else didn't wanna be friends ne more. I picked her faults twice and then quit.

Before that, I had quit school bc a classmate didn't wanna be my friend no matter how I begged. Then I totally flipped on everyone and next thing I know, I quit.

My whole life, I beg and give money. Then I raise hell and get into trouble for that. How do I stop this destructive pattern?

Comments

• Options
    Accept that not everyone will like you. In fact, it is almost certain that in any workplace there will be at least one person who dislikes you, but as long as you know you're not doing anything wrong, for most people its easy to ignore that person. I don't think there is any other answer for your problems other than that you've just got to accept that in a workplace there will always be people who dislike you.
  • Options
    psychotherapy I suppose. You seem broken.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    psychotherapy I suppose. You seem broken.

Would you recommend a factory reset or a referral to second line support?
  • Options
    begging people to be your friend will make it even less likely they will want to be friends. not everyone can be liked by all the people all the time, but headbutting things will only make the people who do like you think you are a little bit different to what they thought. Accept that even if some people don't like you it doesnt make you less of a person, and sometimes them not liking you is to do with their own issues, not you.
  • Options
    Would you recommend a factory reset or a referral to second line support?

I'd ask them to replace my brain. The one I came with seems faulty.
  • Options
    begging people to be your friend will make it even less likely they will want to be friends. not everyone can be liked by all the people all the time, but headbutting things will only make the people who do like you think you are a little bit different to what they thought. Accept that even if some people don't like you it doesnt make you less of a person, and sometimes them not liking you is to do with their own issues, not you.

I even screamed at my boss in front of customers at McD"s bc a coworker didn't like me. When I got suspended 2 weeks for that, I blamed that coworker for "making me do it." So mad!
  • Options
    I even screamed at my boss in front of customers at McD"s bc a coworker didn't like me. When I got suspended 2 weeks for that, I blamed that coworker for "making me do it." So mad!

:no:
  • Options
    Don't worry about people not liking you. I used to care what people thought of me but now I don't really care. I have my friends and that's all I'm bothered about.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Don't worry about people not liking you. I used to care what people thought of me but now I don't really care. I have my friends and that's all I'm bothered about.
    Ditto x
  • Options
    Hmm

In my experiance people dont like needy people. Its a drain and a hassle.
    Even if you dont mean to be, you probably come off as needy and maybe a little bit of a sycophant?

Work on getting people to respect you as a person (maybe learn to respect yourself as well) and relax a little.

Not everyone can like you, but by acting like this your going to end up cutting down your friends list even more and end up with no one.

Screaming and losing your temper over it is so uncool its unreal.
    I wouldnt want to be friends with someone like that in a million years!

I have VERY few friends, around 2/3 and I like it that way, because they are great quality friends :thumb:
  • Options
    I think you shouldn' be needy, but you can tell others what you need in a polite way.

If they don't want to be friends with you, other people will, so keep looking around.
    :wave:
  • Options
    Poppins27 wrote: »
    I think you shouldn' be needy, but you can tell others what you need in a polite way.

If they don't want to be friends with you, other people will, so keep looking around.
    :wave:

Thing is, it just happened so fast. After I screamed at my boss, I told her my coworker made me do it and she just refused to buy it. That's y I got 2 week suspension instead of 1. I had no other choice. If my coworker agreed to be my friend like she agreed to be everyone else's friend, I wouldn't have screamed at my boss, who I needed to take it out on. Because my boss won't buy it, I had to bear ALL the responsibility instead of my coworker. She even deleted me from facebook. like wtf.
  • Options
    Do you take drugs ?

I ask becuase of your user name. That may well be the cause of this problem if you do.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Do you take drugs ?

I ask becuase of your user name. That may well be the cause of this problem if you do.

How do you know stoned_angel isn't an angel made of stone? lol I'm clean I swear.
  • Options
    Then you would be stone angel, stoney angel :p

But back on topic. Like the others have said, you can't expect the everyone you meet to like you, it'll never happen. You need to accept that and move on.
  • Options
    Ugh

No one can 'make you' scream and shout, start taking some responsibility for your actions. Its called growing up.
  • Options
    patience wrote: »
    No one can 'make you' scream and shout, start taking some responsibility for your actions. Its called growing up.

There had been several months that I did good at McD's, but during that time, I was only patiently enduring the fact that my coworker don't like me. By the time I started begging her and giving her money, I became a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Finally, I exploded and screamed at my boss.

How did the 2 other people deal with that coworker not liking them? They worked with her for years and they could bear it. I wish I had that superhuman power.
  • Options
    Do not give people to make them like you.
  • Options
    Please take on board the advice in this thread. I can't imagine there's much you can do but realise that not everyone will like you and that it's ok.
  • Options
    I think it's normal and healthy to try to get on with new people especially if you're working with them. But as others have said it's not always going to lead to you getting on and being friends and that's not necessarily a bad thing. You can only do so much and I'm sure once you have a solid group of friends you'll gradually start to care less about what strangers and casual acquaintances think. Some people are just not worth making too much of an effort with. I live with a girl who just took an disliking to me from day one of her moving in and doesn't much get on with or speak to the other housemates. I did make small talk with her to begin with but got little response so gave up on that. Some days it does make me angry, but whenever I have friends or my boyfriend over it just reminds me that I'm fortunate to have the friends I do have. They took the time to get to know me and I'd much rather be in that position than being a bitter person who spends their time sitting alone every night and trying to pick fights over the smallest thing.

It's not a good idea to try to force people to like you, some will some won't and if you're seen as being too needy you could alienate yourself from those who are potential good friends. Sometimes it's going to be their problem, sometimes yours or sometimes a combination. Noone is perfect and people have different interests, lifestyles and ambitions which don't always fit together. You can be accommodating, but shouldn't have to completely change your personality to make someone like you. In the majority of cases showing an interest in what someone likes to do, being polite and listening should be enough for them to return civil conversation. Most people are fairly sociable creatures, who are open to the idea of new friendships, but there will always be exceptions. Just try to be yourself and find ways of distancing yourself with those who make you angry and try not to analyse interactions too much.

Thinking about what qualities you like in people eg. open minded, shared interests, considerate, etc should help you sift out those people who are most likely to provide you with quality friendships.
  • Options
    I think it's normal and healthy to try to get on with new people especially if you're working with them. But as others have said it's not always going to lead to you getting on and being friends and that's not necessarily a bad thing. You can only do so much and I'm sure once you have a solid group of friends you'll gradually start to care less about what strangers and casual acquaintances think. Some people are just not worth making too much of an effort with. I live with a girl who just took an disliking to me from day one of her moving in and doesn't much get on with or speak to the other housemates. I did make small talk with her to begin with but got little response so gave up on that. Some days it does make me angry, but whenever I have friends or my boyfriend over it just reminds me that I'm fortunate to have the friends I do have. They took the time to get to know me and I'd much rather be in that position than being a bitter person who spends their time sitting alone every night and trying to pick fights over the smallest thing.

It's not a good idea to try to force people to like you, some will some won't and if you're seen as being too needy you could alienate yourself from those who are potential good friends. Sometimes it's going to be their problem, sometimes yours or sometimes a combination. Noone is perfect and people have different interests, lifestyles and ambitions which don't always fit together. You can be accommodating, but shouldn't have to completely change your personality to make someone like you. In the majority of cases showing an interest in what someone likes to do, being polite and listening should be enough for them to return civil conversation. Most people are fairly sociable creatures, who are open to the idea of new friendships, but there will always be exceptions. Just try to be yourself and find ways of distancing yourself with those who make you angry and try not to analyse interactions too much.

Thinking about what qualities you like in people eg. open minded, shared interests, considerate, etc should help you sift out those people who are most likely to provide you with quality friendships.

I just hate to think that she liked MOST people. I begged and paid her to be my friend, be a bitch to everyone else, and eventually went in on my days off to stare at that coworker. That coworker reported me to management for harassment and stalking and had another coworker add me to facebook to keep tabs on what I’m doing. Every time I begged and bribed and stared at her, I was asked to leave the building. Because of her, those who did like me initially joined the crowd of those who didn’t, esp after I screamed at my boss.
  • Options
    I just hate to think that she liked MOST people. I begged and paid her to be my friend, be a bitch to everyone else, and eventually went in on my days off to stare at that coworker. That coworker reported me to management for harassment and stalking and had another coworker add me to facebook to keep tabs on what I’m doing. Every time I begged and bribed and stared at her, I was asked to leave the building. Because of her, those who did like me initially joined the crowd of those who didn’t, esp after I screamed at my boss.

I think it may be helpful for u to speak to a professional like ur doctor to see if you can get some counselling for why you behave this way and start to cope better. Paying people to be your friend and stalking them will not be something you can continue without consequences. Counselling may help you build your self esteem and deal with ur issues.
  • Options
    I think it may be helpful for u to speak to a professional like ur doctor to see if you can get some counselling for why you behave this way and start to cope better. Paying people to be your friend and stalking them will not be something you can continue without consequences. Counselling may help you build your self esteem and deal with ur issues.

I have a question. Does stalking have legal consequences?
  • Options
    Hi there stoned_angel432,

What is important here is that you are recognising the fact that you wrongly get angry or "flip" on co-workers that might dislike you. What is also relevant here is that you understand what triggers this anger - the fact that you want everyone to like you.
    Dealing with anger can be tough to handle, and going overboard with this anger can become dangerous, as you have explained in your own situations. Anger management is very important in these kind of situations so please have a look at the articles posted here.

Perhaps you would also like to speak to someone about why you might react this way and how to deal with the people who don't like you? It could really help your work life, as well as your social life - to be able to accept that you cannot control what others think or say will make it easier to be around them.

Good luck with this and well done for speaking out, this is what we are here for! :)
    x
  • Options
    christele wrote: »
    Hi there stoned_angel432,

What is important here is that you are recognising the fact that you wrongly get angry or "flip" on co-workers that might dislike you. What is also relevant here is that you understand what triggers this anger - the fact that you want everyone to like you.
    Dealing with anger can be tough to handle, and going overboard with this anger can become dangerous, as you have explained in your own situations. Anger management is very important in these kind of situations so please have a look at the articles posted here.

Perhaps you would also like to speak to someone about why you might react this way and how to deal with the people who don't like you? It could really help your work life, as well as your social life - to be able to accept that you cannot control what others think or say will make it easier to be around them.

Good luck with this and well done for speaking out, this is what we are here for! :)
    x

Well, I don't flip out on that one coworker who don't like me. I flip out on everyone else BUT her even though they didn't hate me. Quite ironic. I guess I needed an outlet but I keep holding on to the hope that that ONE person will like me. :)
  • Options
    I have a question. Does stalking have legal consequences?

i'm no expert but i think it can do , otherwise i guess there wouldn't be restraining orders.
  • Options
    I needed sympathy from ppl regardless of what I do bc that coworker who didn't wanna be friends hurt me badly. That means be understanding even if I curse people out.