Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mindmapping software

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone use any?

At the moment I use Cmap and it is pretty good for free, but would like to have a go at something else if it is out there....

Comments

• Options
    I used Inspiration. Again pretty good, but never tried anything else.
  • Options
    My old work used to sell Inspiration (as Scary Monster had already said) and Mind Manager. There's also Kidspiration.

I know it's not your fault Purplestarfish for saying 'mind mapping' but it irks me that we're not allowed to say brainstorming any more because of the PC brigade :shocking: Apparently it is to do with epilepsy, but yes so what? I have Synaesthesia that causes me to trip naturally. Does it offend me when I read about people in the drugs forum saying that they're tripping on drugs? Of course it doesn't offend me lol. Stoooooooooopid PC :p
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    My old work used to sell Inspiration (as Scary Monster had already said) and Mind Manager. There's also Kidspiration.

I know it's not your fault Purplestarfish for saying 'mind mapping' but it irks me that we're not allowed to say brainstorming any more because of the PC brigade :shocking: Apparently it is to do with epilepsy, but yes so what? I have Synaesthesia that causes me to trip naturally. Does it offend me when I read about people in the drugs forum saying that they're tripping on drugs? Of course it doesn't offend me lol. Stoooooooooopid PC :p

Thanks for that.

I still use the word brainstorming... Although I'm unsure of the exact definitions, I use brainstorming for when its a case of getting as many ideas/words down on paper as quick as possible for problem-solving etc... and mind mapping for when I want to produce something more carefully - linking ideas and concepts together with words/phrases written on the lines.

And the reason I still use the word brainstorming? This.
  • Options
    Interesting you say that. I see mind mapping and brain storming as two different things, similar to how PurpleStarFish does I think.

Brain storming is more random, getting everything down, thinking of the random stuff. Mind mapping far more structured. Like I'd brain storm, then I'd mind map what I'd got from it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies about brainstorming. I used to go to a music charity workshop where we got together, brainstormed and the instructor drew the ideas onto A1 paper using a marker pen. It stayed like that from 1998-2004. I was with my company who sold Inspiration from 2003 onwards but it was from 2005 that I started hearing 'mindmapping'.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

I think the terms are different, because they mean different things. Brainstorming is in my book just browsing your mind for ideas and just putting them on a list in the order you came up with them. Mind mapping, arranges them in some kind of system to show correlation and/or dependencies.
  • Options
    i have inspiration too, that can be fun.
  • Options
  • Options
    I used Inspiration. Again pretty good, but never tried anything else.

I've been recommended this. Are there any free trials I can download, please?
  • Options
    They don't seem to do Trials, it's either buy or that other option to test.