Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moved Out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure whether I've picked the right section.

I'm 18 and I've recently moved into a place on my own. It's the "real" world and I haven't gone to university. I just feel really lonely and homesick and kind of stressed too... I can afford it all and I've always been independent (and I can cook and clean well). I just don't know what to do... I'd actually feel happy to move back home at this stage.

I really miss having that support of being around family and I miss having people to casually talk to. It doesn't help that I won't have internet set up for another month.

I'm hoping to live with my girlfriend in the middle of next year when she moves out. But there's 6+ months before then...

I'm normally such a happy person and this is really getting me down.

Does anyone have any advice? :(

Comments

• Options
    Hiya well done for getting independence!!
    I think what u are feeling is very normal reaction from being in a nest with all your family to being on your own with no one around, I moved out of home at the age of 17 i was very independant, but i became quiet lonely to begin with so what i used to do is go home in the mornings and my dad would make me brekkie and a cuppa then i would get on with my day it just took a little while to adjust, give yourself time and u will eventually love it.
    I did :d x
  • Options
    Hi there Somal,

Welcome to the boards!! :wave:

Like Flowergirl said, what you are feeling is completely natural. Homesickness (even though you are not at uni this article can be helpful) often happens when change is involved. You are currently feeling down because you miss your family around you and off course it can be hard to go from a close knit environment to finding yourself alone. Are there friends you can see to go out more often, other than work? In time you will get used to living alone and you will perhaps even enjoy it! It is also nice to look forward to living with your girlfriend and having your own space together, so perhaps keep that in mind as well.

Also well done for being so independent as it can be very hard to get to this point early on, and even though you miss home, looks like you are still doing very well for yourself.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thank you both for your advice.

Unfortunately, I went to a grammar school and pretty much everyone either went to university or took a gap year. So, I have basically no friends around here now. Obviously, I have my girlfriend, but that's pretty much it. Everyone where I work is 30+, so although I'm friendly with pretty much everyone there, I don't have any friends there that I'd really see outside of work things...
  • Options
    Thats ok!!
    I am 34 and some of my friends are in their 20's :d Nothing wrong with making friends with the 30 + crowd x
  • Options
    I know, but a lot of them have got their own lives and all that. (I know that doesn't make sense literally, but I hope you get what I mean). Also, this isn't a new thing, I've been there full time for over a year. It's not a particularly close knit workplace, although I get on very well with quite a few people.
  • Options
    Hi Somal,

Finding friends at work that are free to meet out of office hours can sometimes be tough, so perhaps you could consider some kind of volunteering? Usually they do not ask for more than a few hours a week, and there is a whole list of things you can chose from. Or perhaps join some kind of activity group in your local area? There could be many adverts in your town hall.
    Making new friends is always hard, but there are many people in the same situation as you that also just want to meet people!

Good luck :)