Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

{Tech-no-help} reformat help and putting operating system on a disk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have two computors one old, one new.

My new one came with the operating system built in, i was told i can burn it on to a disk for safe keeping.

I plan to do that and then wipe a hard drive on my older pc and load that onto it...

Could anybody give any help on these subject???

Comments

• Options
    Norton Ghost;
    Paragon Partition Manager; - I recommend this one. All you need to do is plug the other hardware you want to stick your current OS onto, then open Paragon, go to Wizards > Copy Harddisk (or partition) and it'll do it.
  • Options
    I've just spent 10 minutes writing a reply and realised you aren't looking to put your old HDD in the new PC.

It's very unlikely that the backup you make will work in the new computer. If you're using Windows 7 there is a chance that it will detect the other operating system (and that it is a copy) and will fail to work.

If you're a student Windows 7 can be purchased for about £30, so it's quite affordable.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I've just spent 10 minutes writing a reply and realised you aren't looking to put your old HDD in the new PC.

It's very unlikely that the backup you make will work in the new computer. If you're using Windows 7 there is a chance that it will detect the other operating system (and that it is a copy) and will fail to work.

If you're a student Windows 7 can be purchased for about £30, so it's quite affordable.
    Paragon takes care of that.