Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

burns

just burnt myself whilst cooking...AGAIN :grump:

its really sore :( i put my arm under some cold water for ten minutes then added some aloe vera gel (from my aloe vera plant :D). its gone a silvery colour :|

what else can i do? i really don't want it to scar.

i have so many cooking scars on my hands and arms (even though i try to be careful!) and it looks really bad. people have made jokes about me self harming at work!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where and how big ? Having a quick google, ooo saucy :), most info says over 3cm across and /or on a major joint, hands, feet, face get some medical advice.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Where and how big ? Having a quick google, ooo saucy :), most info says over 3cm across and /or on a major joint, hands, feet, face get some medical advice.

:yes: This is what I've been told. Well, it was actually something like if it's bigger than a 20 pence piece, get medical help.

Don't put a plaster on a burn. The best thing to use is cling film.
  • Options
    I'm the same I'm covered in burns from cooking and my straighteners. Even drunkenly managed to get a burn on the end of my nose with my straighteners :rolleyes:

You've done everything you can do with a burn there isn't much else to do, although you could keep it covered. Cling film is quite good to keep it covered and also it should make it less painful once covered up :)
    Also take some paracetamol and Ibuprofen to help ease the inflammation.
  • Options
    And get some oven gloves!
  • Options
    When it's healed, moisturise it a lot to stop it scarring.

My hands are burnt at the moment too, marshmallow/bonfire related accident
  • Options
    when i burned my leg quite badly, the pharmacist recommended 'árnica' cream when it's healed up, it worked really well :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    And get some oven gloves!

Yes and not those stupid ones that are connected together. Get two seperate mitts.
  • Options
    According to my nursing student co-worker (and its worked a treat on my giant grip burns on the palm of my hands, it was only a month ago and they are barely noticeable :)) If the blister is still intact, honey over the burn and cover with clingfilm overnight. No idea on the science behind it, but my hand looks so much better already and these were fairly nasty burns
  • Options
    Honey is well known for it's antiseptic (possibly antibacterial) properties. You know those steralised pads you see in hospitals, the ones you rip open. for dressing wounds and such ? A few weeks ago was watching something about makuna honey and this hospital had these pads impregnated with honey.

So after you're all better you can lick the dressing :D
  • Options
    Thank you RS i was wondering, but was too busy thanking her profusely for helping me out to ask