Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cobbler for Strubbles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Vegetarian (and non vegetarian) Beef and Mushroom Cobbler.

For the beefy bit you will need -

200g Quorn Mince OR Minced beef.

2 medium onions, roughly chopped.

2 medium or 1 large peeled and chopped tomato.

250g of mushrooms, quartered or if big cut into 6 or 8 pieces. If you dont like mushrooms use 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped.

2 tablespoons of oil.

150ml of strong vegetable stock, beef stock if using beef.

Salt and pepper.

For the cobbley bit you will need -

225g plain flour

110g of VERY COLD butter, cut into small cubes.

175 ml of milk or buutermilk if you can get it.

3 level teaspoons baking powder.

1 teaspoon of salt.

Set the oven to 190c

Fry the onion for 2 minutes until slightly softened. Add the mince and fry for another 2 minutes.

Add the mushrooms or carrots and the tomato and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring regularly.

Add the stock. You dont want it too runny, just enough so its like a thick sauce. You can always add more stock so don't over do it to start with. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Simmer gently for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.

Place into a large, oven proof casserole dish, roughly the size of those pyrex family size ones your granny has :)

For the cobbles.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the chopped butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, or bung it in a food processor (a lot easier).

Add the milk and stir thoroughly. You'll end up with a sticky mixture, a bit like a cake mix.

Put heaped teaspoons of the mixture on top of the mince. Doesn't matter if there's any small gaps, the mixture spreads and rises quite a bit so they'll get covered.

Place on a baking tray (it tends to bubble over a bit) and bake in the middle for 20-30 minutes until browned and well risen.

This will serve four people, with some veg. Or 2 very greedy people, like me, just on it's own.

You can add 50g of grated cheese or a couple of teaspoons of your favourite herbs to the floure before you add the milk if you want.

Comments

• Options
    Okay, since the cuisine over here is different, I am not sure what all this things are, or if they are even available.

I read about quorn, but I am sure it does not exist over here. Is it a mince meat substitute? If yes, I use soy granulate. Is it ok to use this? it is just dried, roasted and shredded soy beans as far as I know and is very weak in taste. Has quorn a strong taste in it's own, or is it in any form mixed with spices or other forms of seasoning? If yes, this could be difficult, if no, and it's just for the "substance" of the food, then I guess this will be no problem. (/e: yes, according to the wikipedia article, quorn is not available in Austria.)

Where do I get vegetable stock? (Had to look that up too). Do they sell it as liquid? I think they sell it solid and you need to dissolve/suspend it in water yourself. Need to check that out.

A Cobbler is just a thick sauce or what? All I could find about it, is it being a dessert with fruit and dough, like a pie. In your recipe it is just a non-sweet sauce to make some kind of casserole, right?

The rest should be clear :)
    Thanks
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Okay, since the cuisine over here is different, I am not sure what all this things are, or if they are even available.

I read about quorn, but I am sure it does not exist over here. Is it a mince meat substitute? If yes, I use soy granulate. Is it ok to use this? it is just dried, roasted and shredded soy beans as far as I know and is very weak in taste. Has quorn a strong taste in it's own, or is it in any form mixed with spices or other forms of seasoning? If yes, this could be difficult, if no, and it's just for the "substance" of the food, then I guess this will be no problem. (/e: yes, according to the wikipedia article, quorn is not available in Austria.)

Where do I get vegetable stock? (Had to look that up too). Do they sell it as liquid? I think they sell it solid and you need to dissolve/suspend it in water yourself. Need to check that out.

A Cobbler is just a thick sauce or what? All I could find about it, is it being a dessert with fruit and dough, like a pie. In your recipe it is just a non-sweet sauce to make some kind of casserole, right?

The rest should be clear :)
    Thanks

Quorn pretty much as you described, I think they put in a few flavourings to make it taste 'meatier', but I think your soy granulate would do the job.

You can your own stock, it is simply the water that vegetables, beef or chicken etc have been boiled in to give your dish extra flavour. If you put some onions, carrots, broccoli or whatever's in your fridge into cold water and brought it to the boil for an hour (add some herbs towards the end if you like), the leftover water would be vegetable stock. The solid vegetable stock works well too, it is best to get a good quality stock and all you have to do is dissolve in boiling water as instructed. Bear in mind the solid vegetable stock usually contains a lot of salt, so make sure you taste your mince before adding any more.

A 'cobbler' dish is defined by the lumps of dough that half bake, half boil while the more fluid part of the dish is cooking underneath. This can be, as it is in this case, a savoury element, but sweet cobblers can be made with stewed fruit. The flour in the dough will thicken the sauce up a bit.

Is that about right, RS?
  • Options
    I will probably buy the solid vegetable stock. I don't have many vegetables or any other fresh things at home, since I am living alone and I would just usually spoil. I try to use fresh ingredients (just buying them when I plan to use them very soon) as much as possible, but this is just a big additional work.

What I don't get is, why the butter has to be that cold? Just because of the cubes you cut it into? It is melting anyway in the bowl while you process it with the flour and stuff into a paste.

cheers again.
  • Options
    I've only heard of cobbler as a dessert... another food ruined, just like pie :yuck: ;)
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Is that about right, RS?

The student has become the master. :) Spot on, especially the bit about veggie stock and salt. I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Stock Powder and that's incredibly salty.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    What I don't get is, why the butter has to be that cold? .

2 reasons.

1. Your making a kind of pastry, even though it looks like dough, so the buter has to be 'rubbed in'. That's nearly impossible with warm butter, piss easy with cold :)

2. When it goes in the oven, because the butter is cold, as soons as it heats up it releases water as steam. This creates little pockets of air making your cobbles rise better, be lighter and fluffy.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I've only heard of cobbler as a dessert... another food ruined, just like pie :yuck: ;)

Then no cobbles for you young lady !! :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    The student has become the master. :) Spot on, especially the bit about veggie stock and salt. I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Stock Powder and that's incredibly salty.

I use that too, there is nothing that wont taste better with a bit of marigold
  • Options
    Have you made it yet strubs?
  • Options
    This sounds really nice so im adding it to my list of recipes to try but question: are the cobbles just like dumplings but sitting on top instead of cooking in the beefy bit?
  • Options
    Yes Lex, when cooked it's like a load of little scones on the top.

1st pic is what my recipe would look like.

2nd pic if you made bigger dollops of mix just round the edge
  • Options
    Look like dumplings to me!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yes Lex, when cooked it's like a load of little scones on the top.

1st pic is what my recipe would look like.

2nd pic if you made bigger dollops of mix just round the edge

Oooooh yummy! :d