Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hearing loss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went for a hearing test yesterday, and was not the best news was told i have moderate to severe loss in my right ear, and will have to be reffered to the hospital.
anyone got any advice

Comments

• Options
    If you cover your good ear up, how much can you hear through your right ear? I'm also mod-to-severely hearing impaired on both sides. Without my hearing aids, I can only hear fireworks and club music. I can't hear cars or any home hi-fi / TV equipment.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    If you cover your good ear up, how much can you hear through your right ear? I'm also mod-to-severely hearing impaired on both sides. Without my hearing aids, I can only hear fireworks and club music. I can't hear cars or any home hi-fi / TV equipment.

i can only faintly hear very loud noises, at the moment i am having to make my left ear work harder or lip read, will have to go to the hospital for more tests and most likly have to have a hearing aid, but sacred about the whole concept of the tets and hearing one,
  • Options
    sinead1992 wrote: »
    i can only faintly hear very loud noises, at the moment i am having to make my left ear work harder or lip read, will have to go to the hospital for more tests and most likly have to have a hearing aid, but sacred about the whole concept of the tets and hearing one,

Hi,

It's very daunting having the tests and then the prospect of a hearing aid, I am currently partially deaf and make use of a mixture of listening with lip reading.

The tests, whilst scary are not to bad.. May I ask which tones your deaf in? is it high or low, Just curious really.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Hi,

It's very daunting having the tests and then the prospect of a hearing aid, I am currently partially deaf and make use of a mixture of listening with lip reading.

The tests, whilst scary are not to bad.. May I ask which tones your deaf in? is it high or low, Just curious really.

i think it is both, i can faintly hear some sounds but they have to very loud and still then they are muffled
  • Options
    I think that digital has been rolled out everywhere now, so you'll probably get a Fujitsu-Siemens aid, like mine. A battery lasts about 3 weeks and you get them free from the NHS. Hearing aid is free too. Ear mould impression has to be taken every 1 to 2 years, and it needs re-tubing 3 times a year.

Sinead, you have a big plus to be able to lip-read. Because my remaining eye is pretty bad, I'll never be able to lip-read or sign, so I'm stuck outside of the deaf demographic and outsie of normal social groups.