Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boosting Immune System

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I keep catching colds and when I do I get really affected by them and spend days in bed trying to recover. What can I do to boost my immune system?

Comments

• Options
    Selenium. Most meats, brazil nuts (one of the highest sources), eggs, grains. But you don't need much selenium, so your levels are probably ok.

Most people get colds and the younger you are the more you get. There's approximately 110 cold viruses, so once you've had that many you won't get them again :) Which is why, the younger you are, the more likely you are to get a cold as you've had less exposure to the viruses.
  • Options
    Lots of fruit and veg another tip is to keep your nose warm, if it gets to cold u are more likely to get a cold.
    Hope u feel better soon also exercise x
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Randomgirl, :wave:

Sorry to hear you’ve been a bit poorly of late. I agree with RubberSkin and flowergirl in that there’s lots you can do to boost your immune system, including eating lots of fruit and vege. Vitamins that are really important for your immune system include Vitamins A, C, E, Zinc and Selenium so to add to RubberSkin’s list you can try incorporating foods such as the following into your diet: sweet potatoes, apricots and carrots for Vitamin A, berries, kiwis, red chillies and green leafy vegetables for Vitamin C, fish and pumpkin seeds for Zinc; and broccoli and brazil nuts for Selenium.

If you eat fish you can also boost your immune system by eating more oily fish (like tuna, mackerel, sardines to name a few) as they contain Omega-3fatty acids, which have natural anti-inflammatory properties as well as regulating the activity of white blood cells which fight off the baddies. Garlic is also really good for boosting your immunity so be sure to add lots of it to your cooking!

And, of course drinking lots of water (approx 1.5-2 Litres a day) is also really important for keeping you hydrated and in tip-top condition.

I’m with flowergirl on the exercise front too – not only is exercise important for keeping you healthy it also releases endorphins, the feel good hormone, so good all round!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Lilzo :thumb:
  • Options
    I take Zinc and Vitamin C tablets every so often and they seem to do the trick. You can get them from any supermarket or pharmacist. I cant remember the last time i had a cold. Of course as everyone else has said, lots of veg, fruit.
  • Options
    Arghhhh I was just thinking yesterday how lucky i had not had a cold in ages!!
    Guess what today i have a blasted cold i eat lots of fruit and veg and exercise lol Must have let my nose get to warm hahahahaha :d x
  • Options
    If you take echinacea as soon as it seems you're getting a cold, it's supposed to stop it coming.
  • Options
    I've actually found that 'first defence' stuff by vicks really good! it might be the placebo effect, but who cares! i've found it to work... i mean i still get a cold, but only a bit of a one that goes away in a day or two rather than a full blown few weeks one. I remember taking it when i was feeling really shite one day, and i felt fine the next day :D