Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting my ex back!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I split up with my girlfriend about 6 weeks ago because i wasn't happy, she was going away to university, only about a 45 minute drive away though. I guess I thought once she went to uni she wouldn't want to be with me, so i split up with her out of fear really.

We didn't talk for about 3 weeks, she sent me a few texts and tried to call a few times but i ignored her. The 3 weeks we spent not talking and me ignoring her made me realise what this girl meant to me. So i text her asking how she was etc, and we met up. We went for a meal and then back to hers. We had a really good time together and ended up sleeping together. Over the past few weeks weve been seeing each other and i thought things were going really well, I even took her away for the night at the weekend and had an amazing time.

I saw her on Tuesday and she said to me she couldn't carry on seeing me as it hurts too much. I said why don't we get back together, things had been going so well when id seen her. But she said she can't forgive me yet for hurting her when i split up with her and she thinks ill just do it again. She says we have to stop talking etc.

How do i get her back? Do i give her the space she needs and not contact her at all? Or keep contacting her, i dont know what to do!

Comments

• Options
    Oh my god this exact thing happened to me!!!

Firstly, i know this is kind of neither here nor there, but splitting up with her in the first place was a bad move. Ok, she MIGHT have wanted to be single or have met someone else at uni but you should have waited for her to end it, not you tell her how she feels and end it on something that may or may not happen. Having a guy tell you 'You;re better off without me, you dont want to be with me', is such a slap in the face. Its like he's saying you cant make decisions for yourself. Is she says she wants to be with you, accept it and enjoy it, dont push it away.

As for getting her back, well you can understand where she's coming from. She's scared that since you managed to throw her away on something that hadn't even happened, how long wil it be before the same thing happens again.

I would say give her space for a while. She needs time to think things over because at the moment her mind will be all over the place. She's hurt, missing you and scared. In about a week send her a message saying I'm sorry for what i did, i dont blame you for not wanting to talk but i love you, i miss you and i want us back. After this, dont keep pestering her, let her come to you. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Oh my god this exact thing happened to me!!!

Firstly, i know this is kind of neither here nor there, but splitting up with her in the first place was a bad move. Ok, she MIGHT have wanted to be single or have met someone else at uni but you should have waited for her to end it, not you tell her how she feels and end it on something that may or may not happen. Having a guy tell you 'You;re better off without me, you dont want to be with me', is such a slap in the face. Its like he's saying you cant make decisions for yourself. Is she says she wants to be with you, accept it and enjoy it, dont push it away.

As for getting her back, well you can understand where she's coming from. She's scared that since you managed to throw her away on something that hadn't even happened, how long wil it be before the same thing happens again.

I would say give her space for a while. She needs time to think things over because at the moment her mind will be all over the place. She's hurt, missing you and scared. In about a week send her a message saying I'm sorry for what i did, i dont blame you for not wanting to talk but i love you, i miss you and i want us back. After this, dont keep pestering her, let her come to you. Good luck :)

When we had been seeing each other the past few weeks I could tell she hadn't got over what i had done, which i understand. Ive been saying to her when ive seen her that how being apart had made me realise what she meant to me and what massive mistake i made. I feel like i need to keep reminding her how sorry i am and what a mistake i made. Do i not contact her at all for a week?

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    When did you last speak to her? I wouldnt try every single day because she'll soon start getting annoyed and will just keep saying no because of that. Send her a message, or call, give her something to think about then leave it say 5 days ish
  • Options
    It was tuesday when she said that she couldnt do it anymore and to stop talking. I texted her today, i saw something that related to a private joke we had when we were together so i just sent her a text about what id seen and said i hope your ok. She texted back about the joke and that was it. I just wanted her to know that im thinking about her. Shall i just leave it now till next week and give her a text she if she wants to meet up?
  • Options
    Yea i'd leave it a couple of days now, if you kee texting her she'll just get pissed off. Give her time to think things over
  • Options
    She texted me yesterday evening asking a question about something that im pretty sure she already knew the answer, so am thinking she just wanted to talk to me. So we sent a few texts back and forth about something, just general convo. Then at the end i ended up sending her a text saying how sorry i was and i know you dont believe me at the minute but i would never hurt you again etc and i hope we can work things out. She didnt text back to that so i guess ill leave it now to after the weekend.

Its pretty hard, just feel like texting her all the time and wondering what shes up 2!
  • Options
    Tell her the reasons why you broke up with her. Not out of spite, but because you were afraid, you'd be only a burden to her once she enters university life. Now, where you saw that it works just fine and you both still like each other you found out you made a mistake and will definitely not leave her again without thoroughly talking about this in the future.

She either understands this, or does not. If she does not, I can you can only wait and be patient and hope.