Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

10 a day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody tried it? I'm on some medication at the moment which means I have a mammoth appetite, and the past few days I've trying to curb the inevitable weight gain with healthy eating. I haven't quite managed ten portions of fruit or veg in a day yet, but I'm getting there!

Today I had what I'm estimating at eight portions of fruit and/or veg, and I loved it; I've been replacing meat with veg quite a lot as well as having a lot of fruit salad for breakfast and lunch, and fruit for snacks. I'm beginning to run out of ideas though, I'd be grateful for any tips that anyone might have for how to make this a sustainable diet. I'm also a bit interested to know what I should be expecting, ya know, toilet wise :P

Comments

• Options
    Put an asparagus spear inside a hollowed out carrot inside a hollowed out potato inside a hollowed out squash inside a hollowed out pumpkin inside a hollowed out watermelon?
  • Options
    How much of stuff other than fruit and veg are you eating?
  • Options
    Nuts

Dried fruit

Raw white cabbage tastes great it is slighty sweet and rather filling, celery is filling.

Try sweet potatoe mash for a change.

You could just explore the fruit and veg isle in your local tesco you will be amazed at the diffrent things you can try.
  • Options
    Put an asparagus spear inside a hollowed out carrot inside a hollowed out potato inside a hollowed out squash inside a hollowed out pumpkin inside a hollowed out watermelon?

first laugh of the day, thankyou :d
  • Options
    Breakfast:
    Grilled tomatoes on toast with a glass of orange juice, a pear and a banana; 4 portions.

Lunch:
    Sandwich, an apple, a carrot and a plum; 3 portions.

Tea:
    Vegetarian dinner like vegetable curry; or if your short on time try having a Innocent 'Vegpot', each one is 3 portions.

Dried fruit is a great way to have a couple of portions, check out Graze boxes as well, www.graze.com for ideas if nothing else. I've recently become vegetarian and I'm averaging 8 portions a day :)
  • Options
    If you're using veg as a replacement for meat, make sure you're getting enough protein in there. Beans and pulses and whatnot are good sources :)
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I'm also a bit interested to know what I should be expecting, ya know, toilet wise :P

It's down to how your body is, but if I ate 10 portions of veg in a day I'd sound like a brass band for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    I'm lazy and poor and have been making this vegi dish lately that my friend told me about... bulgur wheat, then halfway thru cooking it add a bunch of chopped up vegies. By the time it is done cooking they are nicely cooked as well. Last time was a bunch of spinach, tomatoes, carrots, asparagus, zucchini and onions (and seasonings). Very filling!

Then, what I had leftover I added them to some jarred tomatoe sauce and made very veggie spaghetti the next day.

For a celery snack, ants on a log! Peanut butter on celery and place raisins on top.

Veggies and hummus is yummy too.
  • Options
    for me, eating healthy is very important down to the last mouthfull, sip or breathe. getting 100% veggie/fruit food intake is my goal. i did 3ish months at 95%+ raw veg/fruit/nuts/seed and FELT ABSOLUTLEY FANTASTIC, no smoking or drinking either, with lots of exercise..

i relapsed but am in a constand dream and knowing of where i want to be again.. for me i need to be away from living with parernts and get my own space and just buy bmy own grub and not eat this junk im surrounded by..

the benefits of raw vegan for me are astounding.. no wars no poverty, just peace
  • Options
    I managed ten today :yippe: thankyou for all the thoughtful replies

I think this diet is great for me, because at the moment I am almost constantly hungry, but I don't need to worry about grazing on, for example cabbage (thanks for the tip, lou- I had butternut squash and red pepper mash with dinner tonight as well it was ace).

Dog, I think you need to brush up on your portion sizes, one plum is definitely not one portion! I do plan on having grilled tomatoes on toast though, yum

Kaff, I've switched to don't-fuck-with-me sourdough rye bread to help with the fibre, the type you could break a window with :love:. And I'm still having grilled chicken every now and then which is also ace. I do love pulses though, perhaps some tarka dal on the cards for tomorrow...

myname, I'm sorry but that celery thing sounds awful! Interested in the bulgar wheat thing, what does it taste like?

badboy, I am disappointed at how tame you are :D but I am getting really enthusiastic about eating like this, I don't think I will ever cut out any type of food completely in my diet, but with moderation and tasty tasty freshness hopefully this diet will stick
  • Options
    for me, eating healthy is very important down to the last mouthfull, sip or breathe. getting 100% veggie/fruit food intake is my goal. i did 3ish months at 95%+ raw veg/fruit/nuts/seed and FELT ABSOLUTLEY FANTASTIC, no smoking or drinking either, with lots of exercise..

i relapsed but am in a constand dream and knowing of where i want to be again.. for me i need to be away from living with parernts and get my own space and just buy bmy own grub and not eat this junk im surrounded by..

the benefits of raw vegan for me are astounding.. no wars no poverty, just peace
  • Options
    It sounds quite good but remember that protein will keep you fuller for longer than fruit or veg so you shouldnt' cut it out - as will slow releasing wholemeal carbs etc
  • Options

yeah, you said...
  • Options
    it iss extremely hard to go with the whole 10 a day thing..for me at least
  • Options
    Ten again today :yippe: mostly in onion form. I don't know why I didn't try this sooner
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »

Dog, I think you need to brush up on your portion sizes, one plum is definitely not one portion!

I'm sure I got told one portion of fruit is 80g.
  • Options
    you're right, i was looking it up today. There's an ace portion guide on the nhs website. I managed 10 again today, but am farting so much! not good.
  • Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/5aday.aspx

Just did this meal planner, you choose what you like and it gives you a recipe list and a shopping list!
  • Options
    We did a six month healthy living course when I was in my last year of school. One of the thing we did was have a dietician (sp?) disscuss healthy eating with us. Now Im assuming that most people know that over cooking vegetables removes all the vitamins and stuff. But aparently raw vegetables arent actually as good for you as ones that have been cooked correctly, something to do with not all the vitamins and stuff being accessed. Sorry its sketchy, it was a few years ago and I have a terrible memory.

Not sure I actually believe it, but I thought Id let you know anyway. :chin: