Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

homemade turkey gravy!

how do you make it?

need to know as i'm making the xmas dinner this year and one of my family members only likes homemade gravy!

i have no idea how to make it! is it really hard? i'm going to need quite a bit as its for six people!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Google knows.
  • Options
    all of the ones on google are different though!

i don't know which one i should choose.

i want proper homemade thick gravy and was hoping someone could suggest a good recipe!

this is the food & drink section of the site, i can ask questions you know :p
  • Options
    Im equally entitled to reply with unhelpful comments as well you know :p
  • Options
    there is no need for it though, lol!

stop picking on me goodfella!!!!!! ha!
  • Options
  • Options
    never thought of youtube!!!!! thanks! :D
  • Options
    Poultry gravy.

2 large onions, 2-3 large carrots, 2-3 chunky sticks of celery, couple of bay leaves(optional).
    Prepapared poultry of your choice.
    Roasting pan
    Fat (lard, butter etc)
    1 pint stock
    flour
    salt and pepper

Cut the onions into quarters, the carrots and celery lengthways. Line the bottom of your roasting pan with them and the bay leaves. No need to peel them or anything.

Put your turkey on top, butter it, salt it, pepper it. Cook for the required time. When you turkey is cooked, double wrap in foil (shiny side facing in) and leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes while you make the gravy.

Throw away the veg and bay leaves. Drain off most of the oil so you have about a tablespoon or two left. DO NOT drain off the sediment and burnt bits. This is caramelised sugar and juices from the turkey and veg and will colour and flavour your gravy.

Put on the heat on the stove and add 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix thoroughly with a whisk, getting into the corners and scrapping off the burnt bits. Cook for about 2 minutes.

Add a quarter of the stock, whisk until all the liquid and flour/fat mixture is is combined. Add the 2nd quarter and whisk. Repeat until all the stock is gone. Bring upto a simmering point, then turn the temperature down and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add gravy browning if you wish. Taste and season accordingly.

If its too thick, just add some water/stock. If it's too thin, turn the temperature up so its simmering, and regularly whisk in the skin that forms on top.
  • Options

think i might test this out (but with chicken) when i do a roast this weekend!
  • Options
    just lie and use the juices in the pan as RS describes above to flavour instant gravy.
  • Options
    I would try adding cilantro!:flirt: Either that, or you could head off to a fancy restaurant and go from there. But it'll cost you!
  • Options
    we call it corriander...
  • Options
    Judging on how gravy tastes I would probably prepare it like this: just roast whatever you can find (meat, bread, rice... doesnt matter) in a pan with 3 packets of I can't believe it's not butter until it is solid charcoal. Mash the coal to a fine powder and dilute with water until it tastes like your grandma's armpit. Presto.