Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Celeriac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I received a celeriac in my veg box and have no idea what to do with it...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    throw it away...its fucking horrible
    some people love it though...

You can mash it though, my mum replaced mash potato with celeriac in a sunday roast once, was horrible

At least i think it was celeriac
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I received a celeriac in my veg box and have no idea what to do with it...

Any ideas?

Treat it in much the same way as you would a potato. You can mash it or chop it up and roast it.

Off topic slightly: We got one of those veg box leaflets through this morning. I'm tempted, but I'm wondering if they're value for money or just a calculated stab at the wallets of the middle-classes? How much are you paying for yours, if you don't mind me asking? And would you get a fuck load more veg for the money if you went to the local greengrocers?
  • Options
    My Wife had a recipe for carrot and celeriac soup that she used to do and love, not my cuppa tea like, but I am sure you'll find some kind of recipe on the t'interweb!
  • Options
  • Options
    i hate mashed potato.

i'm going to have to try this saleriac
  • Options
    what is it :s
    :s
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    throw it away...its fucking horrible

I was gunna say that. My dad mashes it with butter.
  • Options
    what is it :s
    :s

i'm not really sure,

some kind of potato substitute?

:yuck:

i originally thought it was some kind of drug until i read this thread.

:blush:

it just sounds like it could have been
  • Options
    its the forbidden love child of the potato and the celery
  • Options
    what is it

The root of a type of celery.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    The root of a type of celery.

yuck.

:)

well i now have a new word to look in google and get information on.

:)
  • Options
    what did you do with it in the end, namaste?
  • Options
    Treat it in much the same way as you would a potato. You can mash it or chop it up and roast it.

Off topic slightly: We got one of those veg box leaflets through this morning. I'm tempted, but I'm wondering if they're value for money or just a calculated stab at the wallets of the middle-classes? How much are you paying for yours, if you don't mind me asking? And would you get a fuck load more veg for the money if you went to the local greengrocers?
    I accidentaly got a bigger veg box than usual... It has lasted me since 5th October so far and I still have some left...

I guess it depends on:

A. How much you consider a lot of money
    B. How you cook

I was getting a veg box when I was struggling for money... This was because I could make soups which lasted a long time and they tasted better... However, I'm vegan and I try to cook everything from fresh, so it suits my lifestyle...

I normally spend under £20 a week shopping and that's including buying treats for myself such as Trek bars (which I have pre-workout and which cost around a quid), smoothies and the occasional soy product.

I don't think that having a veg box has to be middle class... Think how much people spend on alcohol, expensive phone contracts or cigarettes. It just depends on your priorities.

It is good healthy food, you can taste the difference and you know that you are supporting local farmers...

The only shops I can think of, where I can get more for cheaper is some Asian greengrocers... However, the food quality is not high.

ETA: Just noticed you live in Brighton... What are prices like around there?
  • Options
    I used to get a veg box, but i didnt rate the quality of the produce. It was always soft like it was on the turn, more expensive than buying it from a grocers or supermarket, and was always full of weird vegetables that you had to google before you could use. That and beetroot. Theres only so much borscht a girl can eat.
  • Options
    I used to get a veg box, but i didnt rate the quality of the produce. It was always soft like it was on the turn, more expensive than buying it from a grocers or supermarket, and was always full of weird vegetables that you had to google before you could use. That and beetroot. Theres only so much borscht a girl can eat.
    Who did you get it from?

My flatmate said Abel and Cole always delivered dodgy produce... I use a smaller local company.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I guess it depends on:

A. How much you consider a lot of money
    B. How you cook

It’s not the amount, per se, that I’m really concerned about; I’m interested whether it’s value for money, on any level.

I’m a keen cook and almost exclusively prepare my food from base ingredients, so potentially it could be a savvy investment.
    I don't think that having a veg box has to be middle class... Think how much people spend on alcohol, expensive phone contracts or cigarettes. It just depends on your priorities.

I don’t think it has to be middle-class, bit living in Brighton I’ve come to be a bit sceptical of such things – in a greasy spoon yesterday I heard a fella asking “do you have any herbal infusions” before loudly announcing “and a cup of hot water, as it aids digestion”. I want to make sure I'm not being suckered into buying a product aimed at him. :D
    It is good healthy food, you can taste the difference and you know that you are supporting local farmers...

A big part of what peaks my interest is getting vegetables as soon after they’ve been picked as possible, and I don’t mind paying a bit of a premium for that. My hesitation is I know that I can pop into the local market at lunch-time and fill up on good produce from any of the greengrocers for very little money.
    ETA: Just noticed you live in Brighton... What are prices like around there?

Everything costs a bit more than it should in Brighton. I think the leaflet that came through had 8-9 items prices at about £12.50.
  • Options
    It’s not the amount, per se, that I’m really concerned about; I’m interested whether it’s value for money, on any level.

I’m a keen cook and almost exclusively prepare my food from base ingredients, so potentially it could be a savvy investment.
    I think it's good value :) however, I've heard some companies aren't so good... Why don't you try a smaller veg box and see?
  • Options
    its the forbidden love child of the potato and the celery

chortles
  • Options
    Theres only so much borscht a girl can eat.

I love Borscht... very healthy...

About Celeraic, i would compare it more to a Parsnip than a Patatoe, you can peel, grate, and boil it.

Its lovely in soups, especially a nice creamy soup, you can grate it in a salad, for example Pinnapple, Sweetcorn, Chedder Cheese, Mayo, Ham... MMMmmm Yummy (no im not 6)

:thumb:
  • Options
    Are fresh fruit and veg hard to get, or is the veg box just a luxury/convience type of thing?
  • Options

Our local grocer does their own veg box. It's only a fiver and you get a whole crapton of local, seasonal stuff.

Cheaper and fresher than the ones we've tried from elsewhere :yum:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's good used in stews. Which are an excellent idea at this time of year.
    Weekender Offender