Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The plight of the tall girl

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Lucie is six foot two and there's plenty of reasons why that's a hassle...

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/rants/theplightofthetallgirl

Any tips for talluns floating about? :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh I love her :heart:.

I am six feet nothing and the amount of 'oh, you're tall!' comments I get is endless. I AM FULLY AWARE OF HOW TALL I AM, TA. I get mistaken for a boy a fair bit as well because I have short hair (apparently they miss the FFs I have stuck to my chest, like). I have a hunch because of the kids at school that used to take the piss out of my height and I can't stand up straight for more than a couple of minutes before it becomes uncomfortable and a LOT of effort. I have fortunately never had the shoes issue because my feet are a relatively normal size but the CLOTHES OMG. They don't have a 'Tall' section in the DPs in Canterbury or Braintree either (used to be my favourite place) and I buy stuff online only to discover that it's either too long, too short or not even the right bloody size. ARGH.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Oh I love her :heart:.

:yes:

I have a friend who is 6ft2, and I get annoyed for her! She has such problems buying clothes and shoes and yeah, it makes me so angry how people have such double standards. Like for example.. people meet her and she introduces herself and the first thing they says is "Wow you're tall". If she was short, people would not say that!!!!!

I really admire my friend for being able to take it all in her stride but ergh, people just make stuff so much harder. I think you have to have a tough skin when you're that tall... and that's wrong - you shouldn't have to.
  • Options
    Exactly.

You don't need to tell me I'm tall. I know that I'm tall. I have been tall for forever. I was average-girl-height before I'd even hit bloody puberty - I KNOW HOW SODDING TALL I AM.

/rage.
  • Options
    Like for example.. people meet her and she introduces herself and the first thing they says is "Wow you're tall". If she was short, people would not say that!!!!!

They do say that! I'm short (5ft) and get comments all the time about it. Yes, I know I'm short and that I have tiny feet.

Clothes are a problem for me too - everything is far too long for me and I don't fit into kids clothes.
  • Options
    Tall girl vs tall person... is there something specific to her being female and tall that is difficult, or is it just being tall in general? The only sex-specific thing I could find was about shoes.
  • Options
    Tall girl vs tall person... is there something specific to her being female and tall that is difficult, or is it just being tall in general? The only sex-specific thing I could find was about shoes.
    I think you'll find that tall girls get far more stick for their height than tall guys. Guys are generally expected to be tall, and even if you see a guy who's like 6'5 or whatever, it probably wouldn't strike you as too weird, whereas tall girls are a bit of a rarity.

One other thing: do you know how bloody difficult it was to get a boyfriend when you're taller than all the bloody boys?!
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    They do say that! I'm short (5ft) and get comments all the time about it. Yes, I know I'm short and that I have tiny feet.

Ha i get this all the time too, like people think i haven't noticed i'm short?? weirdos:p
  • Options
    I think you'll find that tall girls get far more stick for their height than tall guys. Guys are generally expected to be tall, and even if you see a guy who's like 6'5 or whatever, it probably wouldn't strike you as too weird, whereas tall girls are a bit of a rarity.

One other thing: do you know how bloody difficult it was to get a boyfriend when you're taller than all the bloody boys?!

That's probably true but blokes are just as likely to be self-conscious about it and struggle with clothes. My brother's 6'5 and although I think his height suits him, I know it bothers him a lot and he does get all the stupid comments about "what's the weather like up there" etc. He's single though so if any tall ladies are looking I can pass you on ;)
  • Options

Of course it's more difficult for a woman to be tall. Being tall = masculine, according to cultural norms anyway. It's part of our cultural ideal about what men should look like that they should be tall. This is why it can also be difficult for short men, although at least they probably have an easier time buying clothes than tall women do. So tall women can be threatening to some short men and come in for a hard time for being somehow "unfeminine". Unless of course they are stick thin, and then they look like a supermodel.

I am tiny, but one of my best friends is a tall women, and the difference in the way people treat us both is quite remarkable. Men treat women my size completely differently from the way they treat women her size, our anecdata has suggested.
  • Options
    I'm 6 foot 2, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've only ever benefited from my height (except banging my head on low celings in old pubs e.t.c). If anything, I wouldn't mind being a couple of inches taller.

Definately think it's different for girls though, I had a female friend who was about 6 foot and she was going out with this bloke who was a good few inches shorter. It shouldn't be a problem if they like eachother, but you couldn't help but giggle a bit inside when you saw them together. It just doesn't look right does it? But fuck it, they're still together 4 years on so it means jack shit.
  • Options
    I'm 5'9 so not overly tall for a girl but I am a lot taller than my friends who are 5'3 to like 5'6'ish, so makes me look taller than I am :rolleyes:

Even just being this tall I've had a few comments from lads about how I'm tall for a girl!
  • Options
    You guys really need me, don't you?

"Shes been" should be 'She's been'.

"shed kill for a drum kit" she'd kill

"looming withi within" eh????
  • Options

I'd say that's the main difference. My best friend at uni was 6'6 and he got all of the same comments, and had all of the same problems buying clothes and shoes (the main one being that huge versions of fashionable trainers tend to look really shit). But I think in terms of meeting the opposite sex, or being taken seriously, I think tall women suffer far more than tall men. Although to be fair, can you blame men for not approaching a tall woman when practically every woman in the world describes their ideal man as being taller than her? Having said that, we all know that Peter Crouch has a good touch for a big man. :D

As for the need to comment on someone's height when they're tall but not when they're short, I think there's a certain compliment in that, as annoying as it might be. I always get, "how do you stay so skinny when you eat so much crap." People only say that because being slim is seen as a positive thing, whereas being fat isn't. They're assuming that you have the same ideal as they do, whereas in reality, their ideal might be the very thing you're insecure about. And it's the same with tall and short. I'd be interested to know if such comments come more from men, who perhaps are more likely to consider being tall as a positive thing. And perhaps whether a fellow tall person is more likely to be self-deprecating about it with you. If I'm honest, I'm sometimes a bit self-conscious about being too skinny, but I also know that the comments are well meant. It usually comes from people who have to work hard to stay slim, so they perhaps therefore assume that their ideal of being slim is something that I would automatically share. Like I said, it comes from a good place most of the time.
  • Options
    The girlfriend-to-be (fingers crossed!) is as tall as me, if not a little bit taller, I'm 5'11''.

It's the least thing that could be a problem for me. Tall girls are awesome. Endless legs.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote: »
    You guys really need me, don't you?

"Shes been" should be 'She's been'.

"shed kill for a drum kit" she'd kill

"looming withi within" eh????

Damn bugs in CMS :) - I did actually go and fix those things because I was anticipating your post, but I must have forgotten to reapprove. :D
  • Options
    Sure, I believe you ;)
  • Options
    The Gap do a nice pair of jeans with 36inch inseams and their jeans last eons. Always on clearance too :thumb:

My dad and brother are 6'6 so unless somebody is taller than that, I don't consider them tall, so when people mention people of say 6'2 (like pill'ed :p) I always think, eh, thats not that tall! I'd like a man at least 6'6 but alas the boyfriend is an inch shorter than me.
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks they're a tall girl should make sure they never come to Cambridge in particular and East Anglia in general.

I'm a tall girl here, and I'm somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9" so not exactly what most people would call tall.

Tis milding amusing though. I get dwarfed by the boys when I'm in the department, and then do stick out tall when I'm with the girls.
  • Options
    Would you say it's preferable to be an above average height girl or a below average height guy.
  • Options
    Like for example.. people meet her and she introduces herself and the first thing they says is "Wow you're tall". If she was short, people would not say that!!!!!

just had to add that it does happen to short people too! the most patronising one i used to get was 'oh my godddd, you're tinyyyyyyyy' and also worryingly physical boys who i didnt know trying to pick me up. fun times.

but yeah i like the article :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Would you say it's preferable to be an above average height girl or a below average height guy.

Apparently they're about as bad as each other. In terms of job prospects and stuff like that.
  • Options
    just had to add that it does happen to short people too! the most patronising one i used to get was 'oh my godddd, you're tinyyyyyyyy' and also worryingly physical boys who i didnt know trying to pick me up. fun times.

but yeah i like the article :)

Oh ok then. Its weird though because I have a very short friend and a very tall friend. And the very short friend doesn't really get any comments. Maybe its because she is SO short... people don't say anything. Guess just from personal experience at parties/pubs/gigs etc, tall friend gets much more harsher comments than small friend. Most comments on appearance (unless its a compliment) are pretty unnecessary.... Same goes with "You're ginger".
  • Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing that girls may have a harder time than guys for being tall - I just didn't read anything specifically about that in the article. It just mentioned difficulty in buying shoes.
  • Options
    i was up in sheffield yesterday, getting a coffee with a mate when i (literally) bumped in to the girl of my dreams. we chatted briefly about my height (i'm 6ft 9) and she said she was 6ft 2. leaving the coffee shop i immediately regretted not asking for her number, but at the time her two (much shorter) mates were giggling madly and i got all self-concious. :banghead:
  • Options
    put an ad in the local paper, that would be pretty romantic.
  • Options
    I've always been tall and have been 5'7" (not as tall as the girl in the rant of course) since I was about 12 and if I had a pound for everytime someone said to me growing up "Aren't you tall?" I'd be rich by now.
  • Options
    i am 5'8" and tall compared to my friends. i absolutely hate it. i look like a bloody giant in photos because they are all around 5'! :lol:

i would love to be about 5'5". i don't exactly feel girly being tall. luckily my boyfriend is 6'3" so is a fair bit taller than me!

wearing skirts/dresses is an absolutely nightmare! everything is so much shorter on me than it should be. tops can be a problem too. sometimes they are short because i have a longer back than most!

the only thing i actually like about being tall is my lonnnng legs!
  • Options
    I'm 5'9 and I actually like being tall...I wouldn't say I'm overly tall although all my friends are about 5'4-5'6 and in heels I do go to about 6'. But I like it :)