Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clicking Hip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few months I have had this clicking/popping feeling in my left hip whenever I walk. Up until now I haven't had any pain with it so it wasn't something I was really paying much attention to. The past few days it has been accompanied with severe pain (a frequent burning, stabbing pain at times combined with a persistent ache). I am also now unable to sleep on that side (of course it is my favourite side to sleep on) and anything even remotely touching it causes pain. The pain has gotten so severe that it actually brought me to my knees today and I had to sit on the floor for about 20 minutes before the pain dulled enough for me to be able to crawl to a chair and pull myself up.
I was reading online about something called clicking hip (snapping hip syndrome) and was wondering if anyone had it. It is the closest I have come to an explanation. I haven't been able to find much of an explanation as to what it actually feels like, just the mechanics of it. Obviously I need to see my GP about this but he is booked a few weeks out.

Also, does anyone have any brilliant ideas to help with the pain? I have been icing it which helps while the ice is on but as soon as I take it off the pain is back. I took Aleve (Naprosyn) this morning and that helped a bit but I have a dodgy stomach and it really irritates it. I wish the states allowed codeine over the counter, but sadly they do not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    One of my hips has done that for years, minus the pain. I did ballet for 15 years so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.
    eta: one of my friends had this too but with the pain, something about the tendon over her hip being too short and catching I think. She ended up having an op to stretch it a few years ago and has been fine since.
  • Options
  • Options
    Seems to be that. Must have moved into a case of bursitis which explains the pain. It is almost 3:30am here and I'm exhausted but the pain is keeping me awake.
  • Options
    You might be better off without the codiene over there. I have just come off dihydrocodiene after about 13/14yrs or so, and i know it's a lot stronger than normal codiene but codiene is codiene and I would hate to think of you having to go through the hell of withdrawal that I went through a few weeks ago.. I honestly felt like death.....
    I suffer from hip pain too along with my lower spine, knees and now wrists. It's all arthritic pain.. I hope that you get yourself sorted out, and you know that you're not suffering alone!!
    I have just come back from my pain-clinic appointment, gotta have injections in my spine and knees, they're also gonna change the paracetamol, diclofenac and tramadol I am now on to morphine, not really happy about that but I am in that much pain I am gonna have to go along with it.. The pain is just making my days miserable...
    Oh the joy of it all.. LOL
    Keep your chin up mate...

T from England
  • Options
    P.S, sorry Ozzer, I just realised I called you mate, like you were male.. My mistake, no offence..
  • Options
    TJT6768 wrote: »
    P.S, sorry Ozzer, I just realised I called you mate, like you were male.. My mistake, no offence..

T, none taken.

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I used to use tramadol for widespread muscle pain. It was fabulous for awhile but then stopped working after a few months. Hopefully the switch to Morphine will help. I can understand why you wouldn't be too pleased with that. It is a very similar drug to Heroin, the withdrawals from it are awful. Have they thought at all about using Demerol? It is equal in strength to Morphine but the withdrawals aren't as bad if you ever have to come of it.

I'm going to try and get a more urgent appointment today. I woke up this morning and my hip is quite visibly swollen. Maybe if I keep thinking good thoughts it will end up only being a temporary problem (a girl can dream, right?).
  • Options
    Hope that you go on ok.. I might ask them about demerol, not sure if it's used here or if it is it could be a different name. I have been on so many different ones in the past I get mixed up.
    Pity you don't have the NHS system that we have, you could get a same day appointment, well most of the time anyway!!
    I really am now at that point where I don't care what they give me as long as it works, the pain is horrible and even with all the tablets I am on, I am in agony.. :(
    I am kind of dreading the withdrawal if or when I do have to come off it, like I said before... The dihydrocodiene is basically heroine too, that was a real nightmare. My doctor didn't even warn me, or tell me to cut down slowly. Just said, stop taking them tomorrow and start on the others. By the next day the withdrawal started.. Lasted over two weeks and even now, must be 6 weeks later I still get some bad effects, mainly hot and cold sweats, but it's not bloody nice!

Anyway, good luck with everything.. Keep posting, what you put on here could help others with any luck.

T
  • Options
    Went to the doctor today. Turns out that the problem with my hip is called a Labral tear. Apparently the cartilidge in my hip has degenerated which is causing things to rub together and pop. I am going to be getting cortisone injections for awhile and taking a bunch of meds. If that doesn't help it will have to be taken care of with surgery.
  • Options
    Well whatever they do I hope it works.
    T