Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mmm Christmassy.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well bought all the stuff for Christmas cake today and gonna have a go at Christmas pudding this year, though can't seem to find anywhere that sells 1 can of barley wine.

Comments

• Options
    Cool when are you supposed to start the puddings?
  • Options
    We always used to make them in the Autumn half term - the first one being eaten new years day, one at easter, my birthday and the last the following Christmas.

you can substitute stout for the barley wine
  • Options
    Ah, well the recipe is for stout and barley wine but i dont like stout. so was going to do barley wine, the juice from the orange and lemon i'm getting the zest from and top it up with brandy. Going to line the bottom, which will become the top of the pud, of the bowl with pecans, almonds, glace cherries and some demerrera sugar and butter so (hopefully) that'll make a butterscotchy sauce :yum:

Will make cake next week, pud next week or week after. Pud needs 8 hours steaming so need to make sure i got a free day.
  • Options
    check the recipe to see how long you need to rest the mixture before steaming it. The recipe we used to use was 48 hours.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Is this the Delia recipe? I used her's a few years ago and it turned out really good. I think I just used stout, though, instead of both stout and barley wine because I couldn't get any.
  • Options
    have you tried the local off licenses? i wish you luck with your xmas pud! sounds yummy :D
  • Options
    Is this the Delia recipe?

Yeah, from her complete cookery course. Nevr used to like christmas pud n cake, too dark n rich, but quite like then now. the pic looked good so thought i'd give it a bash.

Yeah clem, jsut thought that. ill pop over the corner shop tomorrow.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yeah, from her complete cookery course. Nevr used to like christmas pud n cake, too dark n rich, but quite like then now. the pic looked good so thought i'd give it a bash.

Yeah clem, jsut thought that. ill pop over the corner shop tomorrow.

Also, I found that the puds were huuuuuge so I made 3/4 smaller ones. Much more manageable sizes to eat instead of a huge pud.
  • Options
    I've only got a 2 pint basin, so making half the recipe from the book. Even thats gonna be too much just for us too. so might freeze it in portions after it's cooked Christmas day.
  • Options
    Mmmm, my kitchen smells of Christmas.
  • Options
    Christmas isn't thattt close
  • Options
    Make it now. I like my cake to mature about 8 weeks. PLUS you will need, 3+ days cake drying (i usually leave it a week), 3+ days for marzipan to dry(again i usually leave a week). 1 day for each coat of icing (2-3 days) and a day or 2 for the piping to dry.
  • Options
    Christmas isn't thattt close

It is if you're making cakes n pud
  • Options
    We usually make our cake early November.
  • Options
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I've just done the delia recipe (did half so makes a 2 pint pud). Gonna use port instead of barley wine n stout and i'll put in the juice of the orange and lemon in too, seems a waste not too.

Thing is im mixing it in a 10 pint bowl and thats nearly full !! So i hope to fuck it binds well :) Mind you, that being said, when i make my cake it looks like it'll never fit in the tin and it does.