Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

broken femur

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was shot with a 9mil on my femur bone and have had to have surgery and a bar with 2 bolts inserted

its still very swollen and teh stitching is nowhere near healed

how long should i expect for the stitching to close over, what kind of physio should i expect to do and how long for the fracture to fix itself?

im in a huge amount of pain and still hospitalised (with numerous other injuries)

i know the docs etc will tell me what to expect but they seem awfully abrupt and constantly rushing around (nhs i suppose just!)

i am able to move maybe 10 meters with a zimmerframe. i can only very slightly bend my knee. i have little to no hip movement, and any weight on the bad leg incurs serious pain

cheers :wave:

Comments

• Options
    Fucking hell z, what happened to you?

I've no idea about healing times but that sounds rough, er, get well soon.

x
  • Options
    This might help, but TBH I don't get to see many gun shot wounds.

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/gun_shot_wounds

Damn z-, what the hell have you been up to?
  • Options
  • Options
    I wondered if that's what it was, but didn't want to jump to that conclusion. So what did you do to piss them off?
  • Options
    I can give you no specific numbers. Just that the femur bone is awfully thick and the thigh muscle awfully strong, so naturally you can expect long convalescence and long rehab, because of the muscle atrophy.

Get well soon.
  • Options
    Hi z-

Sound's like you've been through a really rough time. Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. As has been said it's hard to give figures. Perhaps you could ask the nurses on your ward to go over the information the Dr tells you, particuarly if they are looking at discharging you soon - you need to know as much as you can.

Great news that you are getting the physio that you need and have the chance to go home.

Get well soon - :)
  • Options
    anyone any tips for recovery?

i want to get better asap.

what i should be eating etc? any decent links etc? :yum:
  • Options
    edited a post out, forgot how bloody public this place is!

i had a small slip earlier, i unwittingly made a hand gesture with one hand and let go of the crutch and the other one slipped out of the way, i wobbled on the spot with all my body weight going onto my bad leg several times. it has now swollen out a bit and is extremely painful

what i was wondering is should i still carry on doin the simple exercises the physio told me to do, or should i give the leg a few days to rest? its makin the odd clicky n crunchy noise so sounds like ive hurt somethin

any info appreciated

cheers

:(
  • Options
    if its clicking and crunching you may have dislocated the end of the broken bones.

if i was you, i wouldn't do the physio (may do damage rather than good if something has moved out of place) but i would phone the hospital/physio asap to ask for info, it may be you need to pop into see the doctors.

sounds like a horrid situation, hope you get well soon
  • Options
    lovely .. ill take a trip to the fracture clinic in the hospital tomorrow and see what the craic is :nervous:
  • Options
    good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    went earlier today .. no damage done thank fuck

i didnt realise the rod was so big.. it runs from my knee to my hip, nailed in deep at each end :shocking:

the fracture is around the middle of the femur, you can see all the bullet shrapnel ill be graced with for the rest of my life still there!
  • Options
    sorry for the bump but .. someone said to me they dont think it will heal properly!

where the bullet hit the bone is near enough completely shattered, then the rod running through the bone connected at each end

surely the bone will reconnect itself or somethin somehow?

someone doctor-ish tell me i won't be stuck with a bit of my femur missing! :nervous:
  • Options
    there is a good chance it will not, you may have a limp for the rest of your life,

your lucky mate, it may not seem it but alot of tigh hits are fatal mate, i wish you the best.
  • Options
    I can't really say since I know the situation only from your explanations, but a shattered femur bone is rather serious (and like Hellfire said sometimes fatal, because if the vena femoralis is torn off (it has the diameter of a thumb) you'd probably bleed out in a couple minutes). If the distance between the shattered bone ends isn't too big it might grow together again, but of course never like it was before. So I guess there is no doubt that you'll walk again, but I guess your professional football career ends. But I am no expert and like I said I know the degree of the injury only vaguely.
  • Options
    cheers for the replies (although it wasnt really what i wanted to hear :( ) ... ill try n get a pic of the xray or somethin at some stage!

im sick of bein stuck in bed! :banghead:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    cheers for the replies (although it wasnt really what i wanted to hear :( ) ... ill try n get a pic of the xray or somethin at some stage!

im sick of bein stuck in bed! :banghead:

It is a serious injury after all.

If you really want first hand information you could always consult the doctor who treated you. He will probably have the most reliable knowledge about your state for you.