Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contraception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, this might get a bit long winded so I apologise in advance :)

Basically I was on the pill for about 7 years and came off it before christmas, I stopped taking it as it made me incredibly moody and such a bitch to live with plus made it hard for me to loose weight. So went onto have the implant, this only lasted 3 months! This made me even worse, I was horrible on it, made me massively fat and even made my hair start to fall out! I didn't know this could happen but supposedly it is a rare side effect :crying: ...so had that out ASAP.

So...went to the GUM clinic and talked about having the coil fitted, seemed perfect so made an appointment to have it fitted (which was meant to be today). During that time ended up going to the Dr's about my lack of periods (I've not had one since christmas). I put it down to just switching contraceptives and never really thought about it!

The Dr sent me for an Ultrasound which showed polycystic ovaries and I have a Bicornuate Uterus or basically a heart shaped uterus...so it kinda splits into two. Told the woman at my coil fitting appointment today and now they won't do it until they have the scan report from my Dr's. But I am pretty sure I won't be able to have it as it was quite heart shaped so no real fundus :rolleyes:

Now I'm not sure what my other options are...I'd rather not have anything hormonal as I just turn into super bitch, I do use condoms at all times but there not always the most reliable and well I don't have complete control over them....I just feel a bit stuck now and really don't want to go back onto the pill :no:

Hm...guess I needed a rant to get this out and to see if anyone had any other suggestions?!

Ta :)

Comments

• Options
    Hi piecesofpie

Which pill were you previously on? Have you talked to your doctor about the other types of pill (progesterone-only vs combined and different brands) that you could try? Different pills can have very different effects on your system so you might be able to find one that doesn't affect your mood so much.
  • Options
    I've tried a few different one (can't remember the names) and I've felt the same on them all...this is why I want to steer clear of hormones and try the coil.

Just been to the Dr's and he thinks from my scan results I should still be able to still have the coil...so gave the results to the sexual health clinic and let's hope their Dr agrees :yes:
  • Options
    i dont think the coil would work as it wouldnt stop anything from implanting in the other side of your womb.
    I think youre better off sticking to condoms or hormonal contraception
  • Options
    i dont think the coil would work as it wouldnt stop anything from implanting in the other side of your womb.
    I think youre better off sticking to condoms or hormonal contraception

Well my Dr thinks that it shouldn't be a problem as the heart shaped'ness isn't as pronounced or as bad as the ultrasound lady made it out to be and that the report doesn't even mention it...so should be able to have it :)
  • Options
    Well my Dr thinks that it shouldn't be a problem as the heart shaped'ness isn't as pronounced or as bad as the ultrasound lady made it out to be and that the report doesn't even mention it...so should be able to have it :)

:thumb: That's great news for you pieceofpie, hope the fitting of the coil goes OK.