Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prescription charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry, I could probably find this info somewhere but I'm tired and I don't understand most of what I've found :p

I'm 18, first year of uni... do I have to pay for prescription charges? (I'm thinking the "18 and in full-time education" may apply to me - but I'm not sure).

I'm a bit worried about being able to afford it to be honest. I know its not a massive amount, but I may end up having to pay for more than one thing so =/

Comments

• Options
    i think it's only if your family are on a low income. not 100% sure. think you need to fill in an hc1. i guess it wouldnt hurt to try

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018978
  • Options
    You are 18 and in full-ime education, I would just tick that box.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

Awesome. I guess I might aswell take what I'm meant to take now, and then see if I want to continue when I turn 19 in a few months.
    :)

Clem - My family aren't low income... but thanks anyway :)
  • Options
    Clem - My family aren't low income... but thanks anyway :)

It goes on your income.

I would too. 4 weeks before you turn 19, (4 weeks is how long the form takes to be sorted out) you need to fill in the HC1 form that Clem mentioned. You can get this from the job centre.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

yeah actually do that! i think im getting confused because i was over 18 when i went into uni. durr
  • Options
    haha no its ok clem, i turn 19 in december so need to know what to do then too!
  • Options
    haha no its ok clem, i turn 19 in december so need to know what to do then too!

Clem's link is the right one. You will need to apply using Form HC1 when you turn 19 (do it before!) because you have to pay from that moment on.
  • Options
    I don't have to pay for mine in Wales, didn't realise it was different in England :S How much is a presciption? Just being nosey and sorry to hijack your thread lol
  • Options
    I don't have to pay for mine in Wales, didn't realise it was different in England :S How much is a presciption? Just being nosey and sorry to hijack your thread lol

£7.20 per item.
  • Options
    OMG, so just for a months worth of asthma medication I would have to pay £21.60! I actually feel sorry for people over the bridge then! Guess there is an upside to living in Wales LMAO!
  • Options
    OMG, so just for a months worth of asthma medication I would have to pay £21.60! I actually feel sorry for people over the bridge then! Guess there is an upside to living in Wales LMAO!

You can buy a pre-payment card which is £104 per year.