Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Problems with Microgynon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, I apologise for the essay in advance.

I have been taking microgynon 30 for around 6 weeks now and am not geting on well with it. I starting taking it for my painful, irregular periods and also as a contraceptive (I have a boyfriend but we have not yet had sex). I'm 19.

The problems I have had so far:

* Worse PMS symptoms, but not just limited to the week before my period as they were before i.e depression and really awful mood swings at random times during the month

* More painful and heavier periods that last longer.

* Random (mild) cramps and pain throughout the month.

* sore breasts.

* Vaginal Dryness (this is really uncomfortable, and I mean all the time, not just when I'm with my boyfriend. I know we can use lube but I never used to have to!).

Is this just my body adjusting to the hormones? Should I wait until I've finished the third pack (3 months)? The problem is, by that time I will be back at uni and I'd rather see my family GP than the one at the uni health centre. I know that there is no point asking about other pills as they are different for everyone, but I want to get some advice and see if anyone else has the same problems before I go to my GP. I don't know much about the other types of pill except that this is the cheapest one, so they start most women on it.

I hate feeling like this and I'm scared that my mood swings will strain my relationship with my family and my boyfriend.

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate you taking the time to read it and help me if you can :)

Comments

• Options
    I tried this at uni and was hit by every side-effect they listed on the packet! Sore breasts, bloating, headaches, mood fluctuations... Came off it after 3 months as I no longer required it, but if I still had, I would've probably given another brand a try/stopped taking the pill altogether and just relied on condoms, although it means less peace of mind I suppose!

It's a case of trial and error.. Give it another month or so, then go back to your GP and say that you've given it a fair test but the brand's not agreeing with you, and ask after possible alternatives.
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Mimidoshima :wave:

The symptoms you are describing are all side effects of taking Microgynon. Seeing as you’re finding these symptoms quite difficult it might be worth going back to your GP fairly soon to see if s/he can put you onto a different pill or talk to you about other possible options. As Luce said, different pills will effect people differently so it’s worth having a chat with the experts about it.

Best of luck!

Lilzo
  • Options
    Microgynon is actually engineered evil.

Try Yasmin.
  • Options
    ??

I have just changed my pill to the Microgynon30 and have been on it for just over a month now and seem to have no problems so far. I have been having sex without using a condom and only relying on the pill. But since yesterday i have been bleeding, and I do not understand why? I have stayed on the Pill for and extra week instead of having the 7day break as I am going on holiday.

Can anyone tell me why this may be as I am finding it slightly worrying.
    Thanks x